Oral Cancer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

This article discusses the current epidemic of oral cancer among men due to oral sex. In the article, they indicate that men have little protection from the HPV virus from partners of either sex while women have a partial immunity.

For years, girls have had an HPV vaccine available to help prevent cervical cancer. The article suggest that this same vaccine given to boys would help prevent the oral cancer.

Do you think that this vaccine should be added to the required list for children ?

2. 0007776 Suspended

I haven’t heard of too many side effects of it so I wouldn’t be against requiring it. If I’m wrong and someone can point to widespread issues from the vaccine then I’d be open to reconsidering it.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I could never wrap my head around that - a virus that is sexually transmitted and you only vaccinate half the population for it?

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I plan on having both of my boys vaccinated, but we've seen enough of HPV tonsil cancer in our office that the decision is easy.

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Both my son and my daughter have received the HPV vaccines. No side effects at all and they are protected against the resulting cancers. There is no sane or logical reason these should not be added to the teen years vaccines that kids currently get. The HPV vaccine is essentially an anti-cancer vaccine and I cannot, for the life of me, see why anyone would not get it for their kids.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I highly doubt the drug companies feel it could make as much profit that way, but convince them their is more money to be made that way and we may see a change.

7. Plutonius, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Can it be given to adults or is it only for children ?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    I'm wondering if some parents are bothered that it's for sexually transmitted diseases (i.e. my kids don't need it because they will never get in the position of getting an STD mentality).

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Gardasil is has been FDA approved in males since 2014, and in 2015 they expanded the approval. These are now the current CDC reccomended guidelines for males:

• All boys at age 11 or 12 years (or as young as 9 years)
    • Older boys and men through age 21 years, if they did not get vaccinated when they were younger
    • Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men through age 26 years, if they did not get vaccinated when they were younger
    • Men with HIV or weakened immune systems through age 26 years, if they did not get vaccinated when they were younger

9. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

What is the reason for the 26 year old age limit ?

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They figured by 26 you've had your mouth in some places that whats done is done.

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm not too sure. Wouldn't you instead base it on if the person had performed oral sex in the past ?

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I imagine it has to do with most people over the age of 26 have already had a number sexual encounters. It’s not to say that the person does have HPV or that it cannot be cleared by the body - in the majority of cases it is, or that the vaccine at the very least won’t be somewhat effective. The Gardisil vaccine is fairly expensive, and I think what it really boils down to is the insurance companies not wanting to pay for people who already may have HPV strains and more people than necessary.

It’s rather silly in the beginning the vaccine was only used in girls than boys. But at least that seems to be changing.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

All the commercials show both boys and girls requesting the vaccine. It doesn't seem like a new recommendation.

14. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Our boy and our girl will receive it when they are old enough. Given the prevalence of HPV in the population, and the links to multiple cancer types, it ought to be required. I don't think it ever will be because there will be opposition from both the anti-vaxxers and the religious right. One group that thinks the vaccine will be harmful, and another group that thinks it isn't necessary because preaching abstinence from all forms of sex is so effective. :rolleyes:

15. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Do you know what the cost of the vaccine is ?

16. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

No idea as to cost, but most insurance covers it, ours did. The original Gardasil was three injections over about 6 months or more. The new, and better vaccine, is two injections over about 3 months. If you're uninsured, you might want to contact your physician as to costs.

17. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Locally, gardisil is about 230 a shot, times three, if paying cash.

18. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Wow, thanks.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I want to say it’s $500-600 for the series (vaccine is given in 3 course series). I only have my iPhone at me at the minute but can give you a better answer later when I go home and use my work laptop with the proper resources.

The risks for getting cancer from HPV are quite rare in men, most people clear the infection on their own. That said, it was stupid for men not to be vaccinated previously considering they could carry the diesease to woman where the effects can be much greater.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

To be anti-vaccine is to be regressive. I am against citizens opting out of their kids getting vaccinations, yet expect their kids to get a public education. My opinion is that for easily communicable diseases, it should be required, especially for kids enrolled in public school. For STDs (or related), that might be a good idea too, but I'm not as certain about it, but why not? I've always been happy to get vaccinated, and have yet to regret it.

21. BoxerGT2.5, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

While the studies are limited there is some evidence one can transmit HPV via open mouth kissing. So while so and so has never performed oral sex on his GF, little did he know his GF has made rounds in a frat house sophomore year in college.

22. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Eeeek.

Kissing is now off the list and I want the vaccine shot :)

23. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It’s too late for me... I’ve been around in my younger days lol so it is what it is.

24. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

You can't get it from magazines.

:D

25. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I wish it were just magazines, looking back at it now