Orange admits to capping 3G speeds in France

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aristobrat, Aug 26, 2008.

1. aristobrat macrumors G4

:rolleyes: How many other carriers are doing this?!

Full Story
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/26/orange_admits_to_capping_3g_speeds_in_france.html

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

O2 were caught doing something similar a while ago, but don't do it any more. To be fair to orange, 384kbps is standard 3g speed so all they're doing is preventing access to HSDPA.

3. iNfowarrior macrumors member

To be fair? Did the first response actually have the words, "To be Fair" in it?

Are you kidding me? Why would you even say that? Why would you be even slightly interested in "being fair" to the company that is ripping off its customers with each passing minute?

It is absolutely outrageous that an aggressive product, the iPhone 3G, is launched without full support of the carrier anywhere in the world. This trend has caused terrible connection speeds in every launch country including THIS ONE.

It is the number one most falsely advertised product in history.

4. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

Although I agree with the rest of your post, I'm not sure I'd agree with your quote above.

Apple advertises the iPhone 3G speed as "twice as fast" (as EDGE), and from looking at benchmarks, almost everyone's getting that.

What they're not getting is the same fast speeds as some other 3G phones (which Apple never advertised).

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They are certainly in their right to do this.

They did not ever advertise a specific speed or an uncapped speed.

384k is a pretty decent rate of speed. Certainly in line with the specs of the product being offered.

If this means everyone gets 384k instead of some people pegging it out and causing others to get slower transmissions, sounds like a great idea.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

7. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

IMO, that's part of the problem. The article reads like only iPhone 3G owners got the slower speed, while other 3G smartphones got to go as fast as they wanted. :confused:

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The decision to cap the speed was Orange's and Orange's alone: I don't see how you can even remotely blame Apple for this. Also, the speed Orange have been providing is still in the "twice as fast" range that Apple have advertised: They have never said the iPhone will give you 7.2mb/s download speeds - where is the false advertising?

Actually, your own quote said has been deliberately limiting speeds for all 3G capable phones on its network to 384Kbps and goes on to say they're lifting the cap for the iPhone. Reads to me like iPhone owners are actually getting the better deal. I suspect the alternative APN that some users got put onto is intended for USB data cards.

9. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks, I had misread the quote I quoted. :eek::eek: