Orange County, CA LTE what's better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsquared81, Sep 20, 2012.

1. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

I had the new iPad with AT&T and lte was poor or non existant through yorba Linda to brea to la habra (despite coverage map showing otherwise). Is Verizon LTE any better? Trying to figure out which carrier to go with for an iPhone 5. Any experiences out there?

2. stevedusa macrumors regular

If you want LTE reliability, by any means go with VZW.

Pretty much there are no dead spots for VZW LTE in majority of the SoCal, even in some mountain areas...

3. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

I don't have experience with AT&T LTE, I havent made the switch yet. But, VZW LTE is FLAWLESS! I have gotten coverage absolutely EVERYWHERE I go in So Cal. South LA, all the way to the Valley. And speeds are always 10+mbps as well.

4. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

I'm in orange and I actually switched from Verizon to At&t because Verizon's LTE was terrible about 5 months ago. Kept dropping signal too. I have had no problems with At&t LTE anywhere in Orange, Anaheim, GG etc..Also something to keep in mind. You won't be able to do simultaneous voice and data withe Verizon but you can with At&t

5. dsquared81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow great to know! I frequent those areas as well. I still have unlimited data and despite it being throttled at 5gb, I wanted to keep it because on verizon, it would have been way to expensive to get the 4gb or 6gb share everything plan. I have corporate discounts for both - Att- 21% versus VZW-20%. So for me ATT would be cheaper by some $20 a month.

I was thinking of Verizon because based on what I've read, it's superior to ATT in the LA area and I'm finding myself more and more in LA these days.

I'm leaning towards keeping my ATT one though that I preordered considering these factors (cheaper, unlimited data, and simultaneous voice/data). Not to mention a better experience for me with ATT reps versus Verizon reps when I had Verizon several years ago (before I jumped on the iphone with the 3g).

Any other experiences out there?

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Verizon LTE is amazing in OC. I get LTE coverage 95% of the time. (Tustin, Newport Beach, Irvine, Westminster, Fullerton)

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any experience in South County? Mission Viejo, RSM, etc.?

8. r i c h macrumors member

In my experience, it's the same as the North County areas. The only dead spot I can remember is a small section of the northern part of Tustin.

9. stevedusa macrumors regular

Keep in mind that before the iPhone 5 only Android platform supported Big Red's LTE.

Problem with that is certain makes of LTE phones with initial or older LTE-modem firmware can cause connectivity reliability / speed issues. And not everybody is a rooting bootloader unlocking S-Off ROM flasher so the statistics is a mixed bag.

Honestly I've never had any problem with two VZW LTE Android handset and a Hotspot in majority of SoCal, LA, OC, IE, SD, you name it. Of course it's not perfect as certain areas (MOSTLY INDOORS) my devices reverts back to the legacy connection (EvDO even 1xRTT) but 99% of the time it's on LTE, AND reliable too.

10. dsquared81 thread starter macrumors 6502

quick update on my thread. I ended up exchanging my att for a verizon. I couldn't be any happier. Reception is awesome and LTE has been amazing. Thanks for everyone's feedback