Orange County finally goes Blue (Democrat)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
This state is going to be a total loss. High taxes and cost of living. No wonder people are leaving this god forsaken place.
Taxes here have been bad for ages. I noticed something out here amongst voters and those running. A lot of conflicts of interest involved. One could also call it a form of corruption. The taxes in California are beyond pathetic. There is pretty much a tax for pretty much everything you haven’t thought of yet. If it is not a tax then it is a permit fee or some other fee.

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Interesting.

I’m surprised in Connecticut, the dwindling state in its own way of the east coast, elected another Democrat Governor- though it was pretty close. The last governor, Dan Molloy, has literally driven the state into the ground economically and killing the hospitals. Losing GE’s world HQ is a pretty big deal- which has now caused a post-recession housing market disaster. Let’s hope Ned Lamont’s attitude towards businesses is a bit more friendly.

I understand not wanting to be a push over to big businesses, but you have to be competitive if you expect to keep the jobs in the state. I’m not aligned with any particular party, but when you look at Massachuseets next door things seem to be in a much better situation.

I graduated high school in CT over 10 years ago. I can say probably 75%+ of my classmates (including myself) have moved out of Connecticut. Taxes are way too high, the jobs aren’t there, a lot of property is unaffordable to most (even with the bad real estate market), and there’s a lot of other problems- especially with infrastructure.

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
This state is going to be a total loss. High taxes and cost of living. No wonder people are leaving this god forsaken place.
New York is following closely behind. We are NOT going to retire here and if it wasn’t for our fiends and families we’d have left a while ago. Of course, Andy Cuomo won again and the state is clearly blue except for the upstate area which is more red. It’s the damned big cities and their left wing ways. They love expensive public employee unions, none of them own property so property taxes don’t effect them, they love regulations, they don’t care about the same things that upstate folks care about. Same thing in California I bet.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
New York is following closely behind. We are NOT going to retire here and if it wasn’t for our fiends and families we’d have left a while ago. Of course, Andy Cuomo won again and the state is clearly blue except for the upstate area which is more red. It’s the damned big cities and their left wing ways. They love expensive public employee unions, none of them own property so property taxes don’t effect them, they love regulations, they don’t care about the same things that upstate folks care about. Same thing in California I bet.
Will not be becoming any cheaper now that Amazon moved in. Will be a reason for people to charge more for everything and create reasons for government to create more taxes to charge people.
[doublepost=1542559251][/doublepost]
If people can't afford to live in the state, move out. No one's forcing you to live here against your will.
Do you support high cost of living and high taxes to be imposed on everyone?
[doublepost=1542559368][/doublepost]
Can I have your Malibu Barbie mansion when you leave? :p
I reckon homes in Malibu May see a small correction in real estate prices over the upcoming months.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The "problem" is the issues and burdens on city dwellers are not the same as they are in more suburban and rural areas and vice versa.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The taxes in California were high but manageable when l lived there. I grew up in the state until 23 and moved back for grad school for a couple years 2013-2015. The issue is the rent prices and real estate prices are absolutely untenable.

Reactions: Eraserhead

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Here's you, and pretty much everyone's response to you. Jump to 5 minute mark.

You got to be out of your mind.. My point was the immigrants contribute a lot to the economy in California. Had it not been for immigrants real estate prices would not be where they are today. I am all for immigrants.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
You got to be out of your mind.. My point was the immigrants contribute a lot to the economy in California. Had it not been for immigrants real estate prices would not be where they are today. I am all for immigrants.

My bad. That's what I get for skimming. Sorry.

Reactions: stylinexpat

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
That’s what people did “in the old days”.
Now that's what I call MAGA. Buy two CDs of MAGA OLD Days songs hitlist and get a third disc on us for free! Shipping and handling apply.

I have an inkling those 40 and older will be the only ones who get the joke.

Reactions: duffman9000

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The taxes in California were high but manageable when l lived there. I grew up in the state until 23 and moved back for grad school for a couple years 2013-2015. The issue is the rent prices and real estate prices are absolutely untenable.
If less people desired to live here there would be less people here lol. I wish!
Since some people don't like shoveling snow we have to deal with housing somehow.
[doublepost=1542752559][/doublepost]
Uh huh, yeah guy I've been hearing that for 20 years.

Reactions: Solomani