Orange France Invoiced me 87 000 Euros for 1 phone call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akamleh, Dec 23, 2008.

1. akamleh macrumors newbie

I live between France and USA. I took a French IPHONE from Orange FR to use in France when I am there. I came back to New York where I live 3 weeks ago. Since Yesterday my iphone stopped getting service,I called them and was told that my service is suspended as I made a phone call ( 1 phone call ) for 78 000 Euros and I have to pay it before they establish my service. I will have to call them tomorrow as they refuse to re-establish my service and they demad that I pay the the 1 PHONE CALL CHARGE of 87 000 Euros. I thought it was a joke, I hanged and called again and asked to speak to a manager, They refused to talk to me and confirmed that my account is passed due with 87 000 Euros.

December 24, Called Orange France, No managers willing to discuss, they transferred me to their technical Dept. i could hear the whole Dept. Laughing like I was the New Year eve party. They were arguing with me that at 2AM New York, Local time, My phone made a "Voice Mail" connection for 17 hours and 58 Min. for a total of 87,025.40 EUROS. I argued for 1 hour that this is technically impossible. They still insist that I need to pay, then write a claim ( In writing Please ) send it by "mail" and wait the answer by January 15. Meanwhile I "must" pay and when they issue the credit it will post as credit to my account that I can use for calling. I mean how many LOLs can I type, It is a sad situation to see France is still a medieval country in the 21st century and how can apple deal with a company like this and give them the exclusivity. I contacted Canal Plus, TF1, A2 TV Channels in France and sent an e-mail to Steve Job, let us see what this will bring. In any case I guess I can say that I hold the world record of the most expensive voice mail in the UNIVERSE.

December 26, I am in Paris, Called Orange FRance.
    Apparently my phone connected to Orange.fr server for 17 hours, They can not explain what is connecting to their server for 17 hours and what purpose that would serve to anyone. They admit that anyone with a healthy mind would not charge such amount, The customer service representative was laughing her head off. She said I should put opposition on the automatic payment on my bank account which I already did, write a letter and even advised me to stop my contract without waiting its anniversary date due to Orange daring to ask for such amount. So no phone calls made, no e-mails, no push, the phone had 3G turned off, Push turned off, data roaming turned off and they still argue the phone connected to Orange.fr. Something is very wrong with their system. I am going to go the whole nine yards and give them the advertisement they deserve. I will contact all TV stations and News papers and let us see how many people will buy iphones from Orange.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how the hell did you make a $178,000 AUS ($121,408US) dollar phone call!?!?!?!?!

3. akamleh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Tell me who would you call for that money

Orange insisted that it is a 1 call charge, I asked if i made a long distance call to god to be charged 87 000 Euros ( 121 800 USD ) for 1 phone call, The representative suggested that I pay then do a claim for invoicing or system error

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ask them how long it would take to build up ONE phone call thats worth that much!

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what the hell?? they told you to pay it then lodge a complaint?? that is seriously stupid!!!

i cant even comprehend how that would happen.

did you make the call lol?

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Must have been quite the phone call. Obviously you shouldn't pay it. Contact a lawyer if they refuse to let you speak to a manager...

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Agreed. Something is f-uped with that. Is it even possible to rack up those kind of charges in one month?

Don

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Agreed. That's messed up! I don't know how you'd go about getting those charges with one call. Even weirder, how are you going to deal with the company that want's all that money?

Best of wishes and keep us posted!

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Don't pay it, call up lawyers, newspapers etc. They will give in.

10. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I would be so f*****g mad if I was in your situation. It is ridiculous that they would even think that a single phone call would cost that much. I would get a lawyer and some support from the media and see what they say then.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Must have been some really, really, really, really good phone sex.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Are you sure it was just a phone call? I've heard of some people getting absolutely hammered with data use charges, and if you were unknowingly data roaming while in the States, I could see the charges adding up very quickly...

Doesn't mean it's anything like fair, but that would be my guess as to what happened. No way any phone call can cost that much...

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just to clarify, you are talking about a single phone called billed at 78,000 Euros--not 78 Euros? It's just funny how you expressed these numbers in your original post--as if you were missing the comma. (78 000)

At any rate, I can believe a 78 Euro call, but not 78,000. Don't pay the bill as the representative suggested(if that's even possible for you!) and then try to get the credit--it'll end up taking years and tons of lawyers.

14. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

A 78,000 Euro call? Hm..You weren't talking to my lawyer by any chance were you?

15. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Hm unless you we're talking for 2 days straight, I think something is wrong here...

LOL.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Um Bark... you do realize that the OP was using a common format for quoting numbers in Europe right? :p (North American format = 12,000.50 / Euro format = 12 000,50)

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, it did cross my mind but a 78 000 Euro call is so unique that I thought there might have been a misunderstanding on my part -- and wanted to make sure I understood what the actual amount was. ;)

I'd have a heart attack with a bill that high. Good luck Akamleh. . .

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Now I get why they lost iPhone exclusivity.... :rolleyes::eek:

19. ericxd macrumors regular

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol he is 87,000 in debt!!! not the other way around..

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Um, 12,000 is an American convention. Kindly refrain from pretending that Canada is part of the United States - we use the normal 12 000 format. ;)

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

wow:eek:

78 000 Euros???!!!111oneoneone111111!!!!!!

I don't think not even 3 days straight on the phone from the US to France or vice-versa can even come close to that.

Call your lawyer. Go into an Orange store and ask nicely to speak with the store manager. I am sure the store manager will move people more than you alone. Besides, I know a store manager, will be like "WTF?! that ain't right, let me help you"

In any case be sure not to pay until they explain to you where and when that call as placed.

23. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Ahh...how about 30 days straight?! I'm not sure about Orange France, but I do know that T-Mobile Germany charges EUR 1.49/minute when roaming in the USA, so even if we assume the French carrier charges EUR 2.00/min, a call costing 87,000 Euros would have had to last at least 30 days! You would deplete your battery in just a few hours, so there is no way to do this, even accidentally. There is something very fishy about this story. *checks calendar* Is it April 1st yet?;)

24. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

We'll it seems my math went wayward somewhere whilst using spotlight to calculate... :p

25. sychee macrumors member

It reminds me of something. Sometimes when I make a phone call, after the recipient hangs up, my iPhone is still reflecting an active phone call until I explicitly end the call. Could this be the cause ?