Orange Pay As You Go Credit Worry- iphone 4 (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by carl32, Mar 23, 2012.

1. carl32 macrumors newbie

Hi

My credit seems to be running down really quick on orange pay as you go. I bought an unlocked iphone 4 a couple of weeks ago and it seemed ok, I got 400 free texts and some internet usage on the dolphin plan.

Then last night i topped up £10 and that was nearly gone this morning after it charged over night. Today i topped another £10, i made sure nothing was running in the background and 3G was off but it has used nearly £7 already !! I am using wifi in my flat so cant work it out.

Could some please help, i only had a quick look at the orange app on 3G today when i was out but didnt expect that. Does it use your credit really quick when you havnt got any usage left ? Any settings anyone could suggest would be great also.

2. carl32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Could anyone please suggest the best settings for Internet browsing on pay as you go or a good app to download to keep check of Internet usage ?

3. Saphire, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

Do you have anything running in the background and updating. I had a similar problem with t- mobile, maps were going online every 15 minutes to update. I asked t-mobile to cut internet access off so I could only use the Internet with wifi.

4. carl32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the location services turned on and the email to fetch every 15 mins. There the only settings turned on really. Should i set enable 3G and mobile data to on or off ? Thanks

5. Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

I would turn off anything that has to go online for updates for the moment just to see if it's one of the program's that is going online without your knowledge.
    I have set up mine now to ask should it connect with tmobile, it gives me the option then to switch wifi on to get any updates instead of it doing it automatically.

6. carl32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Yeah I have chosen this setting now also so it only updates when connected to wifi , also I read that iCloud does automatic backups of all apps and data and this can eat through your usage ! So I turned that off so it only updates when connected to iTunes

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

Your free internet isn't active till your past 30 days! Your currently using credit every time you use data.

8. carl32 thread starter macrumors newbie

So its 30 days from when they give you your last bundle after you top up ?

The main problem i am having though is it is using data/credit of a night when its switched off when i am not using the phone ! I removed icloud and have disabled virtually everything else, Location services, Email set to manual, mobile data is switched to off but it still used about 15p last night, I know its not much but why is it using credit when i am not doing anything on the phone :( . Its alot better but not solved, Didn't think i would have to disable everything on the phone.

Could it be a bug with iOS5, I downloaded that the other week as its an unlocked iphone 4.