Orange SIM in Orange iPhone 3GS won't work

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I got my mate's 3G S from him when he upgraded to an iPhone 4S. He had been on an Orange contract for 2 years.

I update it to 5.0.1 and inserted my own Orange SIM from my 6 month old HTC Wildfire into it, and all I get is "No Service".

Shouldn't it just work? Do I have to unlock the iPhone for some reason?

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
It should work right away which is strange, if you put the sim back in your HTC do you get no service or a signal?

Maybe try reset network settings on the iphone as well to see if that helps.

scorpsgsxr

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
try connecting it to a wireless network then in safari go to http://www.unlockit.nz you can set a profile for orange on your phone and it should work . i had to do this with the 3gs that i gave to my girlfriend she was on virgin the phone was factory unlocked but it kept trying to connect to O2

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I got it working - when I first restored it to 5.0.1, I did so with no SIM in, then restored from an iCloud backup, again with no SIM in. Then, when I put the SIM in, I got the "No Service" error.

So I restored to 5.0.1 again, this time with the SIM in, and after the usual iOS 5 setup routine, it activated straight away and I had 3 bars signal with Orange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.