Orange UK 4G Launch 20th September

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiman, Sep 9, 2012.

1. skiman macrumors member

Seems that Orange UK are launching their 4G Service on the 20th September - one day before the iPhone 5 is expected to drop.

Can you see people moving to Orange, just to get 4G?

Discuss...

2. morty192 macrumors regular

Depends how good their coverage/rollout is and also their price point + what O2 and Vodafone do. If the other networks cut the price of 3G data (very unlikely) I'd be surprised to see a big uptake same goes for if E/E charge an arm and a leg for the data. Will be interesting to say the least :)

3. cinek macrumors 6502

where did you read this? I remember reading a few days ago that everything everywhere won't have 4g ready until at least mid october

4. tann macrumors 68000

I agree!

Link please? I know they are having a conference Tuesday, but not heard anything about it launching on the 20th.

5. randystand macrumors 6502

I have a few queries around the EE rollout of 4G. I saw the rumoured 20 September date aswell but can't remember where. Anyhow, I'm planning on buying the iPhone 5 outright from Apple, I have a year left on my £36 a month orange contract.

How will Orange handle it? What will happen to existing Orange customers who buy the iPhone 5 outright? Will tariffs be changed if requested? Will bolt ons be introduced on top of normal 3G tariffs? Will tariffs go up in price?

All questions that cannot be answered until Wednesday and late next week. This launch is a bit more complicated in that it's first time 4G will be coming to UK, and only to one carrier at first. The nano sim is a bit complicated too but I'm sure the networks will have that one sorted.

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed/announced for Everything Everywhere's (Orange & T-Mobile's parent company in the UK) 4G service.

All we know is that they have a conference/announcement planned for this coming Tuesday (Sept 11th), which is believed by many to be the new "brand" they will be launching (presumably for 4G).

I can't see them mentioning the iPhone 5's 4G abilities, a day before Apple unveil the device itself, so I think the new 4G brand will be announced, along with a go live date (which may well tie in with the UK iPhone 5 launch).

7. skiman thread starter macrumors member

And on this date you will see they announce it launches on the 20th September ;-)

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

I don't doubt that may happen, I just can't see them confirming that they will also be carrying the iPhone 5, which will work on their 4G network, that's all.

Theynwillmhave been told in no uncertain terms *not* to confirm that the i5 will work on 4G in Europe.

That's for Tim to announce.

9. skiman thread starter macrumors member

They wont confirm the iPhone 5.... Who said they would?

10. Muse84 macrumors member

I remember reading somewhere that EE have been upgrading a large amount of their masts and exchanges with the 4G LTE Tech in preperation for when they do finaly get the go ahead. So there may be a chance they will have a functioning network pretty soon. I dont think it will be overy great for a while yet tho tbh.

It will be interesting to see if the new iPhone will support the UK frequancy's (as reported recently on Mac Rumors) because if they dont and just support the USA, this bit of tech may as well be left out of the device outside of the US altogether.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

No one that I'm aware of!

I was just trying (badly!) to make the point that if people are expecting EE to announce their new 4G brand tomorrow and then say "And the iPhone 5 will work on 4G on it", I think they'll be disappointed.

12. cinek macrumors 6502

it'd be a massive step in the right direction but I doubt that'll happen

13. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I'm currently on O2 and will be buying an iPhone outright and serving out the rest of my contract (til December). If E/E offer a good plan for 12 months or better yet, monthly rolling, there's nothing to keep me on o2 (except visual voice mail!!)

14. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I spoke to orange today to see how much it would cost to finish my contract, or what offers they might do on upgrades.

No go for the reduced upgrade costs, may as well just be a new customer. The guy on the phone told me he'd "heard" that the new iPhone was going to cost £1000 and the contracts would be around £50 p/m - I was about to argue but thought better of it, I'm sure it will be around the same price as the 4S. His last selling tactic was to tell me about the 4G, he had no idea when it would be rolled out or how much the contracts might cost...

I read this today EE 4G article doesn't tell us much but worth a read...

15. jj47 macrumors regular

iPhone to be £1000!?

That has got to be the best rumor yet!

16. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i wont be jumping to orange unless they are the only network to have 4G for a while.

ill buy one unlocked from the apple store regardless anyway and then decide later ;).

17. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Insane right? I know we love our apple products, but come on?! Apple would be crazy to sell at that price! I'd buy a Nokia 3210 and a MacBook air for that

Like I say, I began to argue but knew I'd be wasting my time, he clearly had no idea or inside info

18. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

It's ridiculous that none of the other networks have enabled visual voicemail yet.

I assumed it was contractually exclusive to O2, but apparently that isn't the case.

Absurd that the others don't have it, after 5 years or so of the iPhone being on the market.

19. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

My company iphone 4s is with orange and the 3g i have experienced on any phone!
    I have been with o2 and 3 (uk) and they have been perfect.. Well the 3 one was.
    But on orange i rarely get 3g only the "o" symbol.
    Its a good job i dont have to pay for this, or i would be on the phone to them constantly
    P.s. its not the iphone, its factory unlocked and tried my 3 contract sim in it and that is fine

20. Azzin macrumors 68040

Errr-they will be the only network to have 4G for approximately 1 year.

----------

EE won't have to offer great plans if they are the only 4G carrier, they can price them how they like, seeing as they won't have any competition for about 12 months.

21. skiman thread starter macrumors member

Thats only if the new iPhone launches with the chip that runs on the 1600MHZ band, if not - EE will be up the creek without a paddle.

22. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Orange and T-Mobile are *****. I'd much rather wait another year or so for 4G to drop on giffgaff TBH.

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

Agreed-are there even any 4G compatible phones available in the UK?

If not, there's absolutely no point whatsoever in them making a big hoo-ha about being the first (and only) brand with a 4G network, when there are no phones that run on it.

So if there aren't currently any phones that are 4G capable, then it's presumably a fairly safe bet that the iPhone 5 will have the ability to work on the European 4G spectrum....?

24. bp1000 macrumors 65816

o2 can be good depending on where you live / travel but EE have the best 3G coverage by far.

Not sure how it all works but if 4G is available where they have 3G it will be awesome and providing they have unlimited data tariffs at reasonable prices i'm signing up with my unlocked iPhone 5 providing it's compatible.

25. tann macrumors 68000

I know many people who are very happy with the Orange/Tmob service where I am. It's on par with my O2 one (if not slightly better at times!).

EE have a press conference today at which they're talking about their plans, with this I assume will come rough estimates or exact ones of when phones will come out. It won't be hard to get the devices once they network is operational...