Orange (UK) are ridiculous when it comes to the nano ...

BadBrownBear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
So i bought my iPhone 5 from Apple direct today, reserved it the day before and got the email, i was buzzing!

But i can't use it :/ Went to an Orange store and they said we can't give you a nano sim as you're already on a contract, so you should call customer service and wait 3-5 working days. However, they said i could pay £10 and they will give me a pay as you go sim ... WHAT !? lol

so now i'm waiting ... using a terrible blackberry because i sold my G Note ... while my i5 is sat on my desk. ):

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Get a nano SIM cutter. Or cut it yourself.

I think if you go to a Three store, some have a nano cutter there too. And they might cut it for you.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Get a nano SIM cutter. Or cut it yourself.

I think if you go to a Three store, some have a nano cutter there too. And they might cut it for you.
i'll check it out. thanks.
You are more likely to find the independent stores having nano cutters and charging a £ or 2 to cut.

The type of store that does unlocking and sells lots of accessories in shopping centres or in the High Street.

I would be astounded if any network shop would cut sims down, it would never be officially countenanced, and if done on the side would get the salesman the sack if he was found out.

It is fairly easy to do yourself though.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
Got a nano sim on orange and rang them to say do I just add the 4g package when it comes out they said I would have to swap my 3G nano sim for a 4g one apparently it needs a different one to access the 4g network. Joke lol

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Got a nano sim on orange and rang them to say do I just add the 4g package when it comes out they said I would have to swap my 3G nano sim for a 4g one apparently it needs a different one to access the 4g network. Joke lol
You have misunderstood the situation, Orange as a company will not be offering 4G LTE service.

The service is by a new company also owned by EE, and you will actually have to transfer your service to the new network, that they seem to refer to as 4GEE, before you can use 4G.

It will actually be a new contract, new sim, new terms.

MOVING TO EE IF YOU HAVE A 4G PHONE
If you’re already with Orange or T-Mobile and have a 4G LTE ready phone, or have recently bought one that’s SIM-free, here’s some great news — you can start using superfast 4GEE from EE when we launch our brand new network. Here’s how:

Make sure you have a 4G LTE ready phone on Orange or T-Mobile

Make sure you’re happy that you can use 4GEE where you want to

You’ll need to choose a new EE plan and sign up to a new EE contract

We’ll send you a new SIM and you’re good to go

Register for updates and we’ll be in touch when 4GEE launches.
http://ee.co.uk/movetoee

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
So i bought my iPhone 5 from Apple direct today, reserved it the day before and got the email, i was buzzing!

But i can't use it :/ Went to an Orange store and they said we can't give you a nano sim as you're already on a contract, so you should call customer service and wait 3-5 working days. However, they said i could pay £10 and they will give me a pay as you go sim ... WHAT !? lol

so now i'm waiting ... using a terrible blackberry because i sold my G Note ... while my i5 is sat on my desk. ):
I had the same kind of run around with O2. I ended up finally contacting a upper tier rep, who apologised profusely, sent the nano sim out the same day, and gave me two months free service for the hassle. I was told by different reps that:

1) we don't provide them

2) we do provide them, but you will have to have a new contract

3) and a couple just hung up without even trying.

In the end, I wound up with a bigger data bundle, unlimited texts and 2GB data for £5.00 less per month then I'm paying now. Sadly, the normal polite approach just doesn't work anymore, and resorting to more drastic measures seems to be the only way to get things done. The rep who did sort it all out phoned me at 7AM the day after the sim arrived and activated it over the phone right away. The service is pretty good, and I didn't want to change, but Orange were top of my list at one point...mainly be ause of LTE, but from what I'm reading, that's not going too well either...O2 are set to roll it out early next year, so I guess I won in the end.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
mainly be ause of LTE, but from what I'm reading, that's not going too well either...O2 are set to roll it out early next year, so I guess I won in the end.
You've struck out twice there, from an industry insider, the EE LTE network is being significantly underplayed (his words) with both coverage and speed predictions.

Secondly, your iPhone 5 will never work on O2 LTE, which is probably around 9-12 months away. O2 will have the choice of bidding on spectrum at 800 MHz and 2600 MHz, neither of which are supported by the i5.

You'll need a new phone to use LTE on O2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.