Orange (UK) are ridiculous when it comes to the nano ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BadBrownBear, Oct 22, 2012.

1. BadBrownBear macrumors newbie

So i bought my iPhone 5 from Apple direct today, reserved it the day before and got the email, i was buzzing!

But i can't use it :/ Went to an Orange store and they said we can't give you a nano sim as you're already on a contract, so you should call customer service and wait 3-5 working days. However, they said i could pay £10 and they will give me a pay as you go sim ... WHAT !? lol

so now i'm waiting ... using a terrible blackberry because i sold my G Note ... while my i5 is sat on my desk. ):

2. dchao macrumors 6502a

Get a nano SIM cutter. Or cut it yourself.

I think if you go to a Three store, some have a nano cutter there too. And they might cut it for you.

3. BadBrownBear thread starter macrumors newbie

4. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You are more likely to find the independent stores having nano cutters and charging a £ or 2 to cut.

The type of store that does unlocking and sells lots of accessories in shopping centres or in the High Street.

I would be astounded if any network shop would cut sims down, it would never be officially countenanced, and if done on the side would get the salesman the sack if he was found out.

It is fairly easy to do yourself though.

5. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Got a nano sim on orange and rang them to say do I just add the 4g package when it comes out they said I would have to swap my 3G nano sim for a 4g one apparently it needs a different one to access the 4g network. Joke lol

6. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You have misunderstood the situation, Orange as a company will not be offering 4G LTE service.

The service is by a new company also owned by EE, and you will actually have to transfer your service to the new network, that they seem to refer to as 4GEE, before you can use 4G.

It will actually be a new contract, new sim, new terms.

http://ee.co.uk/movetoee

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I had the same kind of run around with O2. I ended up finally contacting a upper tier rep, who apologised profusely, sent the nano sim out the same day, and gave me two months free service for the hassle. I was told by different reps that:

1) we don't provide them

2) we do provide them, but you will have to have a new contract

3) and a couple just hung up without even trying.

In the end, I wound up with a bigger data bundle, unlimited texts and 2GB data for £5.00 less per month then I'm paying now. Sadly, the normal polite approach just doesn't work anymore, and resorting to more drastic measures seems to be the only way to get things done. The rep who did sort it all out phoned me at 7AM the day after the sim arrived and activated it over the phone right away. The service is pretty good, and I didn't want to change, but Orange were top of my list at one point...mainly be ause of LTE, but from what I'm reading, that's not going too well either...O2 are set to roll it out early next year, so I guess I won in the end.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You've struck out twice there, from an industry insider, the EE LTE network is being significantly underplayed (his words) with both coverage and speed predictions.

Secondly, your iPhone 5 will never work on O2 LTE, which is probably around 9-12 months away. O2 will have the choice of bidding on spectrum at 800 MHz and 2600 MHz, neither of which are supported by the i5.

You'll need a new phone to use LTE on O2.