Order Cancelled

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swerthy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Swerthy macrumors member

Hey, so I waited up until 12:01am PST. Ordered my brand new iPhone 5 and was incredibly stoked. I began counting down the days until 9/21.

I just checked my email and found this horrible message from Apple.

"Dear *********,

Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.

While processing your iPhone order, we encountered an issue with your
    AT&T account. According to their records, the phone number associated
    with this order has been recently upgraded. As a result, your iPhone
    order has been canceled and you have not been charged.

If you think you’ve received this message in error, please contact AT&T
    at 1-800-331-0500. Once the issue has been resolved, please visit
    store.apple.com to place a new order. If you reply to this email with
    your new order number, we will process your order as quickly as
    possible.

Sincerely

The Apple Online Store"

Seriously Apple/AT&T? They said I was available for an upgrade when I first ordered it and I literally just checked my account again. Says it's available for an upgrade. If I order now though I won't get it until mid October, when I'm out of for a few weeks. I'm quite upset to say the least.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? And unfortunately waiting in line all night is most likely not an option as I have a job interview at 9am on Friday the 21st.

Thanks MacRumors.

2. Lyrical macrumors regular

That sucks dude. Have you called AT&T?
    Your only other option would be paying over the odds to buy one on ebay or wait a month ofcourse.

3. soundwarp macrumors regular

did you recently pay your phone bill? just wondering.

4. Swerthy thread starter macrumors member

I have not yet, I will though in the morning when I have time. And not wanting to paying that much extra, especially when I have an upgrade available. =/

I have never payed a single AT&T bill late in the nearly 15 years I have been with them.

5. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

The same thing happened to me, but I didn't even receive the email. I checked the Apple Store app and it showed the order was cancelled. Now I can't get through to Apple.

6. Swerthy thread starter macrumors member

I feel your pain. It's quite infuriating, now I get to lose 2 nights of sleep for this phone. I have been nothing but loyal to both companies. I just hope they rectify this very quickly.

Let me know of any updates on your end.

7. soundwarp macrumors regular

just asking because 2 years ago mine was canceled because my bill was not payed by 1 day and it said i did not have a upgrade available.

----------

all they told me on mine is that i had to place a new order back for the 4 :(

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I believe you'll still be SOL for a pre-order shipped by the 21st. They may be able to "hold" one for you at the att store but that might even be a stretch.

Poo happens, not getting the iPhone on the 21st won't ruin your life. Your post makes it sound as if you feel it's a personal attack on you by att and apple.

9. 725032 Guest

OP you're job interview is more important than a phone... Just wait a bit longer!

10. Swerthy thread starter macrumors member

Yea, and I would completely understand them doing this if I was late on a payment.

So did you just wait until it eventually got to you?

No, I realize I'm probably overreacting to the situation. It is 1:30am and I just found out about this. I just simply would like my phone before I leave for a few weeks on business as my current 4 is on its last leg.

Haha, no I agree. It definitely is. I'm not passing this up for a phone. Just noting that waking up early like I have in the past is not an option this time around.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sounds like it may just a system glitch. I would either go to ATT.com and order one now, or go into a store Friday or Saturday and get one.

Sometimes **** happens. Sorry.

12. oxocube macrumors member

Feel your pain. I and several other contributors to this forum got this same horrible e-mail on Saturday (it's come up in the apple.com preorder thread). It sucks to have stayed up to the wee hours of the morning, have a preorder seemingly work, and then to get this bomb 36 hours later.

I called AT&T and the agent said my account was in good standing and I definitely qualified for an upgrade. She blamed the issue on Apple. I called Apple to try to get the order reinstated, and the agent there blamed the issue on AT&T.

In the end, I put in a replacement order with AT&T. Not likely I'll have a phone on Friday :-/

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What stage was your order in when you get this email?

14. oxocube macrumors member

Trying, trying, trying to keep calm and take your words to the OP to heart.

I am 0 for 3 in successfully having a preorder go through on new iPhone launches -- never my fault or arising from problems with my AT&T account. (E.g., last time I preordered an iPhone at launch, the order went through just fine on the Apple website, and then my credit card bank later rejected the charge because it was flagged as fraudulent -- the account was in good standing, I have never missed a payment, I had plenty of credit, etc.)

I think in the future I'm never going to order an iPhone at launch. I'm going to upgrade when my line comes eligible, irrespective of where the iPhone is in its product cycle.

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

This is why you pre-order your iPhone through the carriers website.

16. oxocube macrumors member

Processing.

Preordered via Apple iPhone Store app at 12:10am PDT Friday. Order went through and was listed as "Processing." E-mail of doom received from Apple at about 10:30AM Saturday.

----------

Lesson learned. Hard.

17. bryxcore macrumors newbie

Dang.. Same thing happened to me with the iPhone 4. I could totally feel the pain. I was so pissed when it happened to me. I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy S because of it lol. Hopefully you could sort it out or get the iPhone from the store on Friday. Sorry man :/

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Follow the instructions in the email or purchase from another source. Glitches happen. It's not the end of the world despite your disappointment.

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Sorry to hear about your tough luck, but i'm glad to hear because I was in the same situation and my order has now been prepared to ship. :eek:

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Unless you are an AT&T "Premier" customer. Go over onto that thread. I actually have two orders (one from Apple, one from AT&T). So far the Apple order is going far more smoothly.

21. nonameguy macrumors newbie

I had a same experience. I stayed up late on Thursday and was able to place an order for the iPhone 5 in the first 5 mins when it went one sale. I got my acknowlegement at 12:11PST. Yesterday morning, I received an email from Apple telling me that the order was cancelled due to me having a recent upgrade from AT&T. The email told me to call AT&T and to reorder once it was resolved. I was surprised that Apple just cancelled the order, with no recourse other than to reorder.

I called AT&T and they told me they have nothing on their end that that showed them had they turned down my Apple order. All they had was a message from Apple cancelling an upgrade. Their records show that I've been eligible since 2011 for an upgrade. So, this would appear to be an issue with Apple.

I then called Apple. I was on hold for 30 minutes to talk to someone, and then waited another 30 mins to talk to a supervisor. After being on hold for a hour... I was then was disconnected. I never received a call back. On the order is my home telephone number and the order was for a mobile phone, which they also had the number. And lastly, my email address is also on the order. No one tried contacting me... in spite of having 3 different ways to contact me. When I called back a pre-recorded message said that we were unable to take calls. Thoroughly frustrated, I then went down to the Palo Alto Apple store and talked with the manager. He immediately got on the phone and tried to resolve the issue. After spending more than an hour on the phone, he said that he was unable to get this resolved.

This episode does not reflect well on Apple. They obviously don't give a damn about their customers. I also had a bad experience with the rebate Mountain Lion from Apple as well.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

It sucks, but I wouldn't put it all on Apple. It sounds like the store manager in Palo Alto at least tried to assist. Unfortunately, with a high volume launch like this, there are bound to be screw-ups.

Also, the iPhone is different from other Apple products, particularly in the US, because the carriers get involved (because of the subsidy). Apple can't just approve the orders until they know that they will get their money from the carrier (i.e. they have signed up a valid customer). If there is a screw-up somewhere, such as between AT&T and Apple's systems, these things will happen.

When there is a party other than the ultimate customer involved in paying, screw ups happen. This happens in health care and mobile phones, which is a big reason why people are frustrated with both hospitals and cellular carriers.

Hope you do get your phone soon, though.

23. nonameguy macrumors newbie

Well... I blame Apple because I ordered the phone through them. The people that I and the store manager talked to from Apple seemed to agree that there was a problem but weren't able to do a thing about it.

I understand that ***** happens... but why isn't Apple making some concessions? They made the mistake by canceling the order. Who says that they won't have the same problem after waiting 3 weeks? I just really surprises me that Apple does business this way.

24. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

In my experience, the carrier route takes longer, but you don't have both companies pointing fingers at one another when something goes wrong.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

Perhaps they cancelled the order because AT&T's system fed them bad information. Don't just trust me. Look at the AT&T pre-order thread for some of the nightmares people have even ordering the phone from AT&T directly. Their systems are terrible.

They offered to put through a new order and make an attempt to expedite it. With pre-orders sold out, there's not much more that they can do. I'm not sure what kind of concessions you are looking for. I really don't see how any other company would have handled it much differently. With as many pre-orders that they get, there isn't much that Apple can do. The vast majority of it is automated. If they see a carrier error they don't put the order through. If the carrier reports a fault before the order is finalized, it gets canceled.