Order of icons in System Preferences

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by donawalt, Dec 5, 2018.

1. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

I have always wondered this, is there some rationale to the order of how the icons are placed in the System Preferences pane? Anytime I go in there it seems I still end up reading at least half the icons to find the one I want, I don't go in there that frequently. I know the icon names, if they were alphabetic it would work better for me - or let us drag them into the order we want.

Their order seems so random I just wondered.

2. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

it's been that way since forever, with few additions (ie icloud). goes so far back, i doubt anyone alive was there when the system preferences were set up... :D

3. chrfr macrumors 604

Under the "View" menu, choose "Organize Alphabetically."

4. donawalt thread starter macrumors 6502

donawalt

Wow never saw that thanks @chrfr ! I know it's been this way forever I just never got around to asking!

5. NC_Bulldog macrumors newbie

From earlier in this thread I just discovered "Customize" under the "View" menu. Select it and one can select the preference icons to be displayed in the System Preferences window. Go ahead and hide the icons one doesn't need regularly to reduce the clutter. If you need one later that has been hidden, go back to the "View" menu and select it from the list.

After all these years I never realized that feature existed.

6. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

Ooh, this is a cool thread. There are tons of icons to wade through for the handful I use all the time. Thanks!