Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
if I order gold phones on apple.com does it take upgrade right away or once it ships? cause if in the mean time I DO find them in store can I still cancel my order and have the upgrade available in store?

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
if I order gold phones on apple.com does it take upgrade right away or once it ships? cause if in the mean time I DO find them in store can I still cancel my order and have the upgrade available in store?

It's right away, but it you cancel the order it will put the upgrade back on the account.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
As others have stated, it takes it right away. (At least on AT&T)

I'm hoping the Cancel/reversal is painless & easy just in case I find it in a store soon.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
are we sure it instantly reverses upgrade eligibility? Local store holding one for me until tomorrow, but I haven't canceled my Apple.com order in fear it will take too long.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
It does not take it right away. I ordered a phone from apple in the morning, after work stopped at a store cancelled my online store order and had 0 issue. The upgrade doesn't get used Til the order says preparing for shipment.

Edit: this was with AT&T

Last edited:

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
It does not take it right away. I ordered a phone from apple in the morning, after work stopped at a store cancelled my online store order and had 0 issue. The upgrade doesn't get used Til the order says preparing for shipment.

Well, mine has said I used it since 3:20AM at least and I'm still not preparing for shipment. It will only let me upgrade now if I switch to Next.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I cancelled my apple store order and about 3/4 hours later it was back in my art account. Call u carrier after 3/4 hr to make sure it's back on your account

CandieB

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I canceled mine at 2:30am, 30 minutes after originally placing my order. After talking to both AT&T and Apple I have yet to have my upgrade reinstated. I was told 48 hours. Since I've had to wait so long to reorder I have no hope of getting a phone before my son's birthday on Oct.3rd. I am so frustrated at myself for not paying better attention when I ordered his phone at 2am.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I just got back from a Verizon Wireless store. I was going to cancel my order with Apple, then get a iPhone there.

They said it takes 24 hours to get the upgrade back on your account.

So, I stayed with my Apple order and I hope it will ship soon.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I canceled mine at 2:30am, 30 minutes after originally placing my order. After talking to both AT&T and Apple I have yet to have my upgrade reinstated. I was told 48 hours. Since I've had to wait so long to reorder I have no hope of getting a phone before my son's birthday on Oct.3rd. I am so frustrated at myself for not paying better attention when I ordered his phone at 2am.

Call back and ask for a supervisor. 611 can do it instantly as can some in-store managers.

ecdc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
I ordered mine online at 3AM, heard the model I wanted (Verizon black 64GB) was still in stock, so I went to the Apple store. I actually canceled my online order there from my phone, then the Apple store processed the in-store purchase.

On the first try, it did show that I wasn't eligible for the upgrade, but just about 5 minutes later it showed it had gone through.

YMMV

CandieB

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Call back and ask for a supervisor. 611 can do it instantly as can some in-store managers.

I am on the phone with someone now. She is having to call Apple and then says she will be able to do the reversal. Hopefully, even still I know there is no way to get a phone in time for his birthday. Sad thing is at was at an AT&T store yesterday morning and would have been able to get one but I couldn't get in resolved quickly enough. :rolleyes:

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I am on the phone with someone now. She is having to call Apple and then says she will be able to do the reversal. Hopefully, even still I know there is no way to get a phone in time for his birthday. Sad thing is at was at an AT&T store yesterday morning and would have been able to get one but I couldn't get in resolved quickly enough. :rolleyes:

You could easily have one by then, just not by ordering it online. The Apple stores are getting deliveries everyday, you just need to basically be there as often times there may be enough people in the store to kill the delivery. Try visiting both AT&T and Apple right at opening and maybe check back in the early afternoon after deliveries would have arrived. Also check Best Buy, Walmart, and Target.

Protip for AT&T: They don't know their own policies and don't really care. Just keep pushing for whatever (without being obnoxious) and they'll give it to you. I once had a bill miscalculated and called in...after proving twice that her math was off she just zeroed the whole bill for the month.

CandieB

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
You could easily have one by then, just not by ordering it online. The Apple stores are getting deliveries everyday, you just need to basically be there as often times there may be enough people in the store to kill the delivery. Try visiting both AT&T and Apple right at opening and maybe check back in the early afternoon after deliveries would have arrived. Also check Best Buy, Walmart, and Target.

Protip for AT&T: They don't know their own policies and don't really care. Just keep pushing for whatever (without being obnoxious) and they'll give it to you. I once had a bill miscalculated and called in...after proving twice that her math was off she just zeroed the whole bill for the month.

I've always been very pleased with AT&T. We have had service with them since 2001 when they were Houston Cellular then Cingular and now AT&T. I couldn't blame them for my mistake. The guy who tried to help me yesterday really was trying even if I didn't get the results I was hoping for. I have had them correct bills and work with us when we have had technical issues. As such I will continually be a loyal customer. The last person I spoke to corrected my problem and was very courteous about it. I will try and check my local stores and hope for the best. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.