Order online vs buy in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smurray, Sep 16, 2013.

1. smurray macrumors regular

I plan on getting a 5s on Friday. I will be getting a 64GB space gray one and will be paying full retail for it. What I don't know is whether I should order it online at 3:00 AM EST or go to the store. The problem is I work that day and wouldn't be able to make it to a Verizon store until around 3:00PM. The closest Apple store is about an hour away so I couldn't make it there until 4ish. If I knew there was a good chance a store would still have some in stock by that afternoon then I'd prefer to purchase it that way. On the other hand I'd hate to wait only to find out that they are out of stock and then also have them be out of stock online by then as well. What do you think I should do?

2. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I think a lot of us are in the same predicament. If I didn't have to work and had to have it Friday I would be camping in front of an Apple store. If I want to make sure I get it as soon as possible and still be able to work Friday I would place my order at 12:01 Pacific time. I would think the chance of walking into a store at lunch time or after work expecting to pick one up is slim to none since there won't be thousands of them preordered this time.

3. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I wish just 50% of iPhone buyers had jobs. Since they don't, I'm ordering mine online I've decided.

4. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Luckily for me, the way my schedule is I don't have class or work on Friday's (I'd be out of luck any other day with either of the two.)

Now I plan on going to the store and hopefully I'll get my hands on a White 32GB 5S with AT&T.

But I've been thinking. Would it be a good idea to try to order one online at 3amEST and then go to the store. If I can't get one in store, I know I have one on the way. (I have an Apple Store and an AT&T store both 15min away.) But if I do get one in store, then I'll come home and cancel the online order ASAP. (I'm assuming they won't charge my card right away anyways.)

I feel that plan would give me a good chance of getting one pretty quickly.

What do you think?

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

NOBODY here has any decent idea of

- initial stock
    - stock by model, memory, color
    - how many people will be in line that day
    - what those people will be buying

So... what was the question again?