Ordered 27" i5 but have buyer's remorse due to "imminent" update - Advice please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pixel-vs-pencil, Jul 25, 2010.

  1. pixel-vs-pencil macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Hello,

    I've been lurking in this forum for a little while now, and have decided it's time to ask for some much-needed advice.

    My iMac 17" Power PC broke back in March, and I have been almost 5 months without a computer of my own, so I am going a little crazy. I have decided to go freelance with my illustration work, so I really need a new iMac to help me out.

    Last Wednesday, after much deliberation I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 27" i5 quad core iMac. I decided that this would be the best option for me, as I want to be able to use Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Final Cut, etc and generally be a multitasking superstar. I was getting the impression that the update wasn't going to come until October, and I was fed up of being disappointed every Tuesday when my hopes of a refresh were regularly dashed. I got about 12% off with my boyfriend's higher education discount and also the iPod and printer rebate, so in the end I saved quite a bit of money.

    I was gutted (yet excited, how's that for self-punishment) when I saw the recent post about an "imminent" refresh, and subsequently I'm having a tough time deciding what to do. UPS tried to deliver on Friday - but I'm planning on putting them off until Thursday. My reasoning is that if an update happens in the next 2 weeks, if the product hasn't been delivered until Thursday, I will have until Thursday 12th August to return it (14 days). I thought that if the update does happen in August, it will most likely be on the 10th, as this follows the previous pattern for other updates in the last few months. That should then give me a safe window of 2 days to arrange a return. What do other people think? I know that nobody really knows when this refresh is going to happen, or if it's even going to be worth the wait. I read in the t&cs and apparently you have 14 days from the date of delivery to return an iMac. Do you know if this is from the date of first attempted delivery, or from the date the products physically enter your posession? Also, if I open it, will I have to pay the restocking fee or is this a US thing? When I bought it from Apple over the phone the guy said I could open it and try it out, and if I didn't like it I can still return it, he didn't mention any restocking fee.

    I was so relieved and happy when I placed the order, because I thought finally I'll be able to get some work done. But now I'm having serious buyers remorse, I will be absolutely gutted if the iMac is refreshed straight after I buy it. The same thing has happened with iPod refreshes in the past, and having a September birthday I am all too aware of Apple's famous policy of updating something the moment my poor parents buy it for me as a present.
    I've not had a new computer since 2004(!), and I really want to get the best available. All this talk of yellow screen, flickering, cds getting scratched, backlight bleed.. well, it puts me off a bit. I would also love an anti-glare option, and I would be first in line if the 21.5" were to become a quad core, as the 27" is a little big for my tastes. I bought the 27" as that's the only option for quad core at the moment, and from what I gather it will really help rendering time in the animation programmes I want to use. I'm not much of a techie, but from reading the forums it seems I would be better off with this option.

    What do you guys think? Should I just open the box and be happy with what I've got? Or should I keep it boxed up and wait til next Tuesday, or the one after to see if there's a refresh? And what happens if there has not been an update by the 10th.. can you imagine the sickening feeling of opening it and getting it set up, only to find the update falls a week later on the 17th!? Or maybe I'm getting a little too obsessed with this alleged update.. it's not the end of the world. Who am I kidding, I'd probably cry a little.

    The only computers I have access to at the moment are library computers around London (mainly PC), and my flatmate's broken Acer laptop which shuts down every 20mins without fail. I'm getting very frustrated (can't believe I've lasted since March). It would be such a shame to wait so long only to find that a brand new, shiny (or anti-glare!) iMac comes out in the next few weeks.

    I guess after all that waffle, my main question is: what would you do in my position?

    Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance for any replies.
     
  2. bprice macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2007
    Location:
    LA, Ca.
    #2

    I would say this sums it up quite nicely.I have the i7 which I definitely preferred over the i5(hyper threading).I got a refurb cheaper than a new i5.That would be the only regret "I" would have.

    IMHO the refresh is not going to be any thing significant.There are ALWAYS break in problems that may not be resolved for months (not to mention WHEN it gets released).

    For the work you described IMO the i5 will be GREAT....and you get to start using it this week!!As far as the 27" unless you hate seeing whats on the screen in vivid detail(and I use the 1080 setting!!) I don't see whats not to love.My only problem is I want it larger!..but that wasn't going to happen for an iMac.

    So ..be happy..your machine is perfectly capable of doing work on will not be obslete.My suggestions is DON"T go looking for problems (yellow screen, missing pixels,mystery 1db noises".... you'll probably find them... even if they aren't there.

    BP
     
  3. Zelnaga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2010
    #3
    I was also in your position but when I went to get the iMac i forgot to take my bank statements (getting it on finance), so it stopped me from getting my i5 iMac. This was a month ago, and like you - from reading this forums I got a feeling an update was on the horizon. So that stopped me from going back to the apple bullring store and buying the machine.

    I use Maya and sometimes 3Ds Max for my work. Been stuck with this current machine im using for 3 years now, and thought to myself - Ive waitied this long, another month or so isnt going to hurt (in your case, could be a few weeks).

    People will tell you that the i5 is worth it. Personally, Id like to get the most out of my money. i5 is a powerful machine but in my line of work i need an update graphics card for work (also gaming). If its affecting your work then youve defiantly made a decision in purchasing the i5. If you can afford to wait. Id wait. But since youve purchased it. You can always try it for 14 days (I dont know about the return policy when youve ordered it via phone). But at least you can try it (opening it wont mean you cant return it) before you make a decision and return the thing, if you feel you can wait a bit longer.
     
  4. Chucknutter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #4
    If you know you aren't going to be happy with it, then don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
     
  5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #5
    ...just wait, if the update doesn't grab you... the current models will be hitting the refurb store for cheaper prices = win/win...
     
  6. 314631 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Location:
    iDeaded myself
    #6
    I bought an i5 six weeks ago knowing this refresh was on the horizon. I am not regretting it even knowing an update is imminent. The machine is a beauty and is easily the best desktop machine I have ever owned.

    This has been the case with almost every Apple product I have purchased in the past couple of years. The only device that has been perfect on day one (AFAIK) was the iPad.

    MacBooks, Mac Minis, iMacs have all had issues that took many months to resolve. My $3000 MacBook Pro was horrible to use for 3-4 months while we waited for Apple to introduce firmware fixes for click, beep and freeze issues. Current gen iMac owners waited a long time for updates that addressed noisy/poor performing drives and display issues.

    I don't care what Apple announces when they bring out the new iMacs and Mac Pros shortly. I would not be buying one on day one, or even month one. I no longer rush out to buy Apple products on launch day. :)
     
  7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

    TheBritishBloke

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #7
    I'd say wait until the end of august. That way if it hasn't been updated you can still get the free printer and iPod.
     
  8. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
  9. Durious macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, Alberta
    #9
    Personally I spent the last 2 months waiting for an update and on July 6th I just said to heck with it. Even with a "refresh" imminent and my iMac arriving on the 14th of July I have NO regrets or remorse on the purchase. The reason I have none is the performance I am getting within After-Effects and Final Cut Pro, it's amazing in comparison to my previous Macbook Pro, so regardless of an update I have a machine that is seriously being put to the test and passing flawlessly.

    Anyway personally if you have buyers remorse on it probably not best to keep it unless you want to take the chance like me and give it a run.
     
  10. aki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Location:
    Japan
    #10
    Just to repeat everything above - the update is highly likely to be incremental. These days consumer Macs/PCs are overpowered for most purposes, so the old strategy of spending the most you can possibly afford to buy the weightiest machine you can possibly get doesn't really apply any more. Instead the best approach is exactly what you were doing - figure out what you want to be able to do/run, and buy a machine which is good for that.

    It sounds like the i5 you ordered does the things you want it to do. Ipso facto, good purchase decision.

    Also, it's obvious but it bares repeating - companies like Apple (much as we love it) engineer demand by working us up about The Next Amazing Update. There's nothing wrong with agreeing to play that game - it can be kinda fun queuing up outside that Applestore. But you don't -have- to play.

    GL!
     
  11. amazingdm macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2010
    #11
    Definitely cancel I'd hate to see you stuck with old tech so soon.
     
  12. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    #12
    Over the long run the the updates will not be very important. The real asset of the imac is its screen. YOu will be able to use the screen as monitor for way longer than what the diminishing hardware value is. Therefore you will alway have 800- 900$ worth of equipment in the years to come.

    I personally recommend you to get the i7 if you do not want to wait.

    Thinks that I would have like to have are Blu-ray and hdmi output, but I do not think we will have that.
     
  13. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

    JoelMarcey

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Northern California
    #13
    There might be some confusion with the replies. He has the i5 machine already. His decision is not whether to wait to buy one. His decision is whether to return the one he just bought in order to get the so-called upcoming new iMac refresh.

    @pixel-vs-pencil I am nearly in the same literal position as you. I ordered my i5 27" last week as well. Refurbished. Wonderful machine so far. No issues that I have seen. I upgraded the sucker to 12 GB RAM with some memory I bought at OWC. Very pleased. Like @bprice said, the only minor regret I may have is not spending the extra $150 to get a refurbished i7 instead. But you know, a 27" 2.66Ghz Quad-core i5 with 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD and ATI Radeon 4850 is not so bad.

    Personally, I would keep what you have.

    But as others said, it is a personal choice. Whatever decision you make will be the right one.
     
  14. pixel-vs-pencil thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #14
    I'll try to man up, but I'm a girl!

    So, here's a little update:
    UPS arrived when I was opening my front door today, so I couldn't really ignore them and pretend not to be in. I phoned Apple and asked if there is a restocking fee for the UK (there isn't) and I am allowed to play with it and see how it all goes. It seems like there is more and more evidence for a refresh, and I asked if the refresh happens on the 10th August (one day outside my 14 days) would I be able to return it. The lady said that it should be possible.

    On opening the iMac there were a few notes I made:
    The security seal was broken, and the thin wrapping around the screen had it's sticker torn apart, signalling perhaps that the iMac has been opened before. This disappointed me a bit, although I guess I'm doing the same thing. The batteries were already in the mouse and keyboard, and I didn't have to install the software, which was very odd. The build number is CK01600..etc - it was apparently made in Cork, Ireland between 17th and 23rd April 2000. Yes, apparently this iMac was built in the year 2000! I'm guessing the year is wrong, but the fact I just ordered and got an April built iMac is a little weird, no? Makes me think they picked a refurb by accident in the warehouse?

    All this aside, I think that the 27" screen is for me, it's nice and big and there's loads of workspace. I have noticed the very very slightest yellowing towards the bottom, but I honestly don't think I would have noticed unless I checked these forums beforehand and heard about the problem. I also checked for dead/stuck pixels using this site: http://imac.squeaked.com/test.php and I think that there is only 1 towards the bottom left of the screen (it is not a specific colour, just kinda shimmery).

    Thanks for all the advice guys! :)
     
  15. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    #15
    You shouldn't have to install the software any way, but the rest seems shady. I'd call Apple and tell them it looks like it was already opened. If you paid for a new machine, you should get one.
     
  16. pixel-vs-pencil thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #16
    You're right, I'll give them a call tomorrow. It's so odd about the build date, and the rest all obviously adds to the feeling of unease. I didn't realise software came pre-installed these days! It's been too long since I bought a new Mac..
     
  17. hippo206 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    #17
    I know you have done your research, but the buyers guide has said to wait for some time now.

    I guess if you really needed it, you shouldn't have any remorse, because you NEEDED it. If you didn't and you just started to get lose your patience, then.... you might have to eat a restocking fee or at minimum the hassle of returning it.

    If I was in your position, I would just keep the imac. Most people believe this next revision won't be anything significant. I guess we will know tomorrow how much of an upgrade it will be.
     
  18. pixel-vs-pencil thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #18
    Apparently buyers in the UK don't have to pay the restocking fee, or so Apple informed me today. I would have to send back using the free returns service. Yeah, I've been checking the buyer's guide for months now.. that's pretty much the only reason I started waiting back in March when my computer broke! I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see how this all pans out.
     
  19. Razeus macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #19
    The only reason I'm waiting is to see if Apple puts i5's (or i7's) in the smaller screen models. 27" is way too big for me, but I'll work with. I wish they'd just do a 24", but I'll be fine with 21.5", however ridiculous that size is. If they don't put the i5's in the new models, I'll just get a refurb i5 and just have a big azz 27" screen.
     
  20. slicecom macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2003
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #20
    This update has been "imminent" for months now. If the current model will meet your computing needs then what's the problem?
     
  21. EnterTheSwamp macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
    #21
    Return it and wait. too much smoke for there not to be a fire. If you have waited this long, what's a couple more days. The new iMac won't get worse, so you are going to get something better. Play it safe and wait
     
  22. -FlyAuburn- macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2010
    #22
    Price Matching/Refund and iLife 2011

    I took delivery of an i7 about 27 days ago. If they update tomorrow am I eligible for some kind of price match or refund for the difference compared to the "new" model pricing or will they swap mine out with a new model? What has :apple: generally done in the past in this kind of scenario?

    Also, after having just bought the Mac I see that iLife 11 is coming out. Any chance of getting that for free after buying a mac with iLife 09 so recently?
     
  23. pixel-vs-pencil thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #23
    I guess after not having bought a new computer since 2004 I really want the most up-to-date iMac possible, plus I'm spending a lot of money. I know that the buyer's guide has been counting the overdue days since the last refresh, but it seems that over the past few days the rumours have really been hotting up.
     
  24. TMRaven macrumors 68020

    TMRaven

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #24
    If you've bought or ordered the iMac within 14 days of new iMac's release you can get full refund with no restocking penalty, so you're good to go.

    You'd also probably be good-to-go with older-bought iMacs that are the most recent generation too, you can probably just take it in for yellow screen and they'll give you the newest revision, haha.
     
  25. pixel-vs-pencil thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #25
    I thought this too until the 27" arrived today. It takes a little getting used to but I think the 21.5" may now seem.. dare I say it.. a little too small! I originally planned on ordering the 21.5" too, until I realised that the quad core machines would be better suited to the type of work I plan to do. It might sway me price-wise if there is a quad core option for the 21.5", though from what I've read people say that configuration would be too hot for the smaller machines?

    Plus for editing video the 27" will be amazing, I'm still getting over how much screen space there is.
     

Share This Page