Ordered 4S - Torn between Apple Bumper & Neo Hybrid EX?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ahheck01, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

The Apple Bumper seems to be thinner/sleeker, which I like, and I really like that it uses the same metal buttons that the phone actually has on it.

The Neo Hybrid EX has a bit more protection, it seems, and addresses the scratching of the bezel with the two-piece thing.

I'm really torn between the two, but haven't found any good side-by-side reviews. Anyone have experience with both that can comment? Of course, looking at both of the latest revisions of each with a 4S.

Thanks!

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I've read some mixed reviews on the Hybrid but since I don't own it I can't say for sure. I just received my Graft Concepts case and I love it. I ordered the black one for a white iPhone with the chrome leverage clip and it looks really sharp.

I have absolutely no issues with signal loss and the case feels very nice in hand. It has a mat finish and you can use different backs if you want. Comes with one black back.

http://www.graftconcepts.com/products/metal-leverage-iphone4-case

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

For twice the money, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm a bit of a minimalist, and the latch seems to add complexity and bulk. I've heard of it scratching the iPhone as well.

4. loyalist, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

loyalist macrumors 6502

I have the Neo Hybrid EX Satin Silver and happy with my purchase. For the price of a bumper, you get the Neo Hybrid Ex and front/back screen protector. I think the apple bumper is overpriced but so are most apple products. lol.

Be sure to order the one from Ebay to take advantage of the free shipping.

5. Monssef macrumors member

6. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I have used both. The apple bumper was good but it scratched the **** out of my iPhone 4 metal band. I've been using the neo hybrid 2S infinity white on my iPhone 4S and it's been good so far. It doesn't have metal buttons as you already know. I really like the SGP better and fitment is perfect.

8. 3gc macrumors newbie

9. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

^definitely not unless you want your metal band scratched.

10. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

I've this case in grey. I knew I wanted a bumper but it wasn't enough (also wanted the back protected just in case i lay my phone down on something dumb) so this protects the back too. Highly recommend it!

http://store.griffintechnology.com/iphone/iphone-4s/reveal

I've looked at the Apple bumpers and think I made a better decision by going with the Reveal by Griffin. Heck, it's a bumper with extra protection at a better price.

Whatever you end up getting, don't forget that cases also need maintenance. Check it for any dust inside between the case and the phone. :)

11. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

I have the SGP Neo Hybrid 2 EX in Satin Silver and love it.

The posibility of Apple bumpers scratching the metal band and no Silver colour rule it out for me.

12. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

is the official SGP store out of the silver? Only this seller has it...and I am somewhat skeptical

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGP-iPhone-...ccessories&hash=item2a160e0035#ht_4456wt_1163

vs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGP-iPhone-...cessories&hash=item415f44717c#ht_10119wt_1163

13. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Didn't open links bc I am on my phone but they have an official eBay and amazon store.

14. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I prefer Neo Hybrid EX. You can change the color very easily. the soft rubber internal part will not lift up covers or decals and will accommodate a back that is a little thicker, like the wood ones.

I also purchased a knock-off and you get what you pay for. Not bad, but definitely lower quality.

(Beware Graft Leverage - nice case, but coating comes off way too easily.)

Craze has a nice bumper, but a bit snug and lifted my screen protector up.

15. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

FYI the neo hybrid 2S lifted up my phantom skinz back shield...

16. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

If you're paying $30 you should be safe. Avoid the $7 from China, definitely fake.

I bought my genuine SGP from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/wowsomethingnew/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

17. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I've used both...I sent back the SGP after a few days of usage. Wasn't too impressed with the silicon/plastic two piece system. Not the easiest case to put on either. Plus, SGP has no plans to make EX II frames only...wtf? So I gotta buy the whole case again just to get other colors? The front/back screen protectors are a nice touch, but the crystal series is a HUGE fingerprint magnet...not that good. Found this more slippery than the apple bumper.

I pick the apple bumper over the sgp...one piece construction, super snug fit and not a problem pocketing the bumper. The new revised bumpers are stronger than the originals too.

My S4i headphones are the only headsets that fit with either case. Point being is the headphone jack doesn't work with many 3rd party headphones.

Also, most cases will scratch the band if you don't clean it out for dust. So don't buy into the "it's the apple bumper that scratches the band".

Order some lucky lab wraps and your worries will go away

Wish that apple would update the bumper colors to cleaner colors and not these "highlighter" type colors...where's red or gunmetal dammit!! :D

there's my opinion ;)

18. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome feedback. I actually just received my white S4i's, so there's no issues there :) I ordered the phantom skinz matte skins to use the matte back - I'll probably go naked in front. I'll use the side skins to protect the aluminum under the bumper. Also ordered the black apple bumper now that Apple has free shipping. Should that work?

-Evan

19. wellok macrumors 6502

I have both. Much prefer the quality of the Apple bumper. It feels better, it looks better, and it seems sturdier since it doesn't have the thin bits around the connector. No scratching issues for me.

20. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Another vote for the Apple bumper.

I have both - the SGP isn't bad, but the Apple bumper is much more of a precision fit and has better grip as well. I also like the Apple metal button covers as opposed to the SGP rubber button covers.