Ordered a 32 Gb space grey, but got a call for the 16 Gb today.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jason1978, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jason1978 macrumors regular

I always use about 10-11 GB of space in any phone that I have had. Even when I had a 32 GB I only used about 8 GB. So whats my problem? Why aren't I happy with the 16 GB. I don't know...I think I just liked the idea that there was a whole bunch of space just sitting there even though I won't use it.

But at least I am sitting here with my 16 GB space grey :) So it doesn't make sense to have a 32 GB if you aren't going to use it right?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the way i see some peoples posts, you should always count on that "other" memory climbing up over time. i never use more than like 5GB but having the extra space if needed is a plus, not to mention resale value.

3. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is I know I won't use it. It's like buying a 5 bedroom house for one person. Meh but I pictured myself having the 32 gb that's the issue I think.

4. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Just don't use the video camera:) Always get 64 myself.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Two years ago when I had a 32GB iPhone 4, I thought I could deal with a 16GB iPhone 4S. Ha.

I almost went for the 64GB iPhone 5S, but I decided instead to go to 32 again. It felt so good going into iTunes and adding all sorts of music and apps I hadn't been able to store for a long while.

Now I've got 7.7GB free. That should be good for a couple hours of video if I ever decide to take that much. On the 4S I found that 30 minutes of video was about 4GB, and I almost NEVER had that much room.

6. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I was happy with my 16GB 4S for the past two years, but the 5S feels cramped after a week. I didn't take into account that a better camera means bigger image file sizes. Hopefully I can swap it out for a 32 and get some breathing room.

7. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I think 32GB is the sweet spot for capacity/cost. For example, my brother-in-law is already regretting going from a 16GB iPhone 4S to 16Gb iPhone 5S. The photos, videos, and iOS just take up more room than before. Same with my wife. She got sick of managing iTunes playlists and picking photo libraries just to fit within 16GB. Now she has a 40GB free on her 64GB iPhone 5. It's overkill but I think that running out of storage space is what pushes a lot of people to want to upgrade. Luckily if you you bought at an Apple Store you can usually get the restocking fee waived if you return and then buy a higher capacity model within 30 days.

I've been getting the 64GB model since it's been available and don't regret it one bit. I sell and upgrade every year so the resale has usually been high enough to keep buying the 64GB without paying too much.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I like your 5 bedroom home example. I guess it's just a mind shift to just be content with what you have and not have extra... in life and technology

9. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Have had a 64GB since the 4S. I don't really need that much space, but I don't want to have to worry about what I put on my phone. So, it is worth it for me to get the highest capacity.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd love to get a 64 model, but $399 just seems like too much. The fact that I can play movies and music from the cloud on iOS 7 made it a lot easier to consider a 32GB model.

11. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

This is true. Apps will store data and they will grow over time. Also, the system storage will fill up as your call log and iMessage and text message count grows (unless deleted of course)

12. Jason1978, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Forget it I called Best Buy and when they get a 32GB in Im getting it. My OCD is ridiculous.

13. mirz2000 macrumors regular

16GB here. I originally wanted the 32GB, but ultimately changed my mind. Your 5 bedroom house is a good analogy... the more I thought about it, I just don't seem to need it. My photos sync with iPhoto automatically, so I don't need to save that many on my phone. I use Dropbox for a lot of files, etc. To each his own.

14. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I just like knowing that there is more then 4GB of space left. Even if I wont use the full 32 GB its nice to know that its there. I would probably be fine with the 16 GB but I guess its personal preference.