Ordered My Dream…but I have regrets!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mistry, May 20, 2012.

1. Mistry macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    We I ordered a Macbook Pro 17” last week, I have always wanted one but oreering this Laptop was a bit if a knee jerk reaction to my Windows laptop being slow and clunky.

As I track the long journey of the Macbook across the globe (currently in Germany), I am having some regrets! I am hoping that I can get these regrets put into some perspective using this forum.

Firstly here is spec of the Macbook Pro I ordered:

• 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    • 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
    • 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
    • MBP 17" HR Antiglare WS Dspl

Basically there are only two main issues I have:

1. I should have waited for the new 2012 Macbook Pro to come out, however I really need a laptop but I could have waited if I thought that it was worth the wait

2.I ordered the 750GB HDD, when I should have ordered the SSD , and setup a raid1 NAS for storage

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I need to get this into perspective before the delivery arrives!

J

2. Liquinn Suspended

You can always swap out the HDD for an SSD or put an optibay in the machine.

I was one of those people who waited for the April re-design and I bought my 13" MBP a week or so in May. There's always a better machine just around the corner. I guess by the time you've opened the box/received delivery of it, it's already out of date.

Cheers

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I really never understood the notion of having the latest and greatest.

If your current machine does what it does well, why do you need the latest and greatest?

If you want to get the best bang for your buck, as in pay for something that costs the same as the new one that is going to come out, what's the purpose?

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Considering the rumours the 17 will be dropped, and if not dropped will be rolled out some time (months?) after the other models, buying now doesn't seem like a big problem.

Buying an aftermarket SSD will be a lot cheaper than getting one from Apple. plus you'll still have the 750 GB HD. And you'll probably want to bump the RAM up to 8 or 16 GB - again, an order of magnitude cheaper than buying it from Apple.

5. mrobit macrumors regular

I thought the same thing when I had updated to my current machine now, which is basically the same one you posted except for a 2.2ghz processor instead. I was thinking: "I really should wait for the new laptops to come out; they're going to be so much nicer than these ones. BUT I also really need a new laptop now."

I was running on a 4 year old MBP (still runs I might add, but it's slow as heck so it's basically a backup computer now.) Once I ordered the new machine I didn't have any regrets at all. I got it from MacMall for $1800 (when from Apple it would be $2500ish) and I love the machine.

Sandy bridge is still VERY fast. Ivy bridge is an upgrade, but it's not a hugely substantial one, like the i5 to Sandy Bridge i5 was (or core 2 duo to i5 was, for that matter.)

All in all I'd say give it time. If you really wanted a 17" and you wanted it to be a new generation model then you would have had to wait even longer for those to be rolled out. You made a good choice so don't worry about feeling regrets for it; just enjoy your new laptop. :)

6. dutchnewbie macrumors regular

If it's your dream why you regret afterwards?

7. maflynn, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you could have waited then it might have been the better choice. There's no guarantee that apple was going to update the 17" MBP, in fact rumors have swirled of its impending demise. You may not have lost too much in buying now.

NAS units work great (I have one) but you need to be connected to the network to access the data, that is, if you find yourself taking the laptop out somewhere, and you want to listen to your music (on the NAS) you'll generally be out of luck. I don't use my NAS to hold any documents or files that I have an immediate need for.

I'm finding my two 120GB SSDs to be a bit cramped and I may opt for a SSD + HD in the optical bay arrangement instead of two SSDs for my next MBP

8. yinz macrumors 6502a

You should just do what your gut tells you to do. It's the only thing that will satisfy your conscience.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Why, when you can get a bunch of random strangers on the internet to make the decision for you instead? :)

10. phonitron, May 20, 2012

phonitron macrumors member

I can totally second this. You will KNOW if you want to keep it. I recently had to make a choice and went with cold hard logic. In the end, if I'd trusted my instincts I would likely have been much better off based on what I know now. Instinct. GO with it.

EDIT: Nothing to do ith a mac purchase btw... I'm still using my old PowerBook G4 but I'm ready to upgrade when the new comes available.

11. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

No, you made the right choice. If you need a laptop, you need one. That's that. As for upgrades, you bought the perfect machine to max out (if you want). Apple supplies crappy SSDs. You're always better off buying a third party option. Apple over charges on RAM. Go third party on that as well.

12. underblu, May 20, 2012

underblu macrumors regular

The current 11' 15" and 17" MBPs are very strong machines.
    Great quadcore power Sandy Bridge are outstanding robust performing cpus
    6750/6770m graphics processors provide very good mobile performance
    The MBP !7" already provides the highest battery life, lightest weight and slimmest form factor of any 17" laptop
    The current unibody design fit and finish is first rate
    The resolution of the 17" 1920 by 1200 is very high and is really outstanding especially in Matte form

Now for the new MBP
    We know for certain it will have Ivybridge processors. These have shown to provide outstanding performance with a modest performance bump over their Sandybridge counterparts. Some overclocking tests have exposed some possible heat issues but whether this proves to be an issue remains to be seen
    The integrated graphics is where the Ivybridge really excels over Sandybridge. While this is a major performance improvement for laptops without discrete graphics, ie: 13" MBP, it is not a significant factor with the 15" and the 17" MBP since these have higher performing discrete processors for GPU intensive applications

There are rumors of a ultra high resolution display, thinner form factor, USB3 but all this remains to be seen. And what will these new MBPs loose in order to fit into a slimmer form factor? Their HDD and optical drives, It's nice to be able to have and SSD drive and an HDD drive together on the same machine.

Look, I have no doubt the new 17" MBP will be awesome machine but it's release is not going to make the current MBP less great. So take heart, your MBP should serve you well for several years to come.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you're going to regret not getting a newly released model, return it. Simple as that.

14. Mistry thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I couldn’t have asked for a better response than that, thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my plea!

If the new MBP was being released at the end of this week then I would wait, but I get the impression it could be quite a wait for the new MBP 17”.

Taking into consideration all the feedback given on this thread, I have decided to keep the MBP once delivered. To be honest it would have been ever so hard not to have opened the box once delivered, so I am really glad I have made this decision and I can now go back to enjoying the excitement of waiting for the delivery.

This package has been on one mammoth journey, hoping for delivery today bit probably more likely tomorrow.

Again thanks to everyone’s help!

Here is the tracking Information

[​IMG]

15. njean777 macrumors 6502

TBH who cares about the new machines? IF you need a laptop now, then keep it. That machine will last you a good 4-5 years if you take care of it. Also the spec bump may be small for the update (if they even update the 17in). I say keep it and use it like you were going to do in the first place.

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

If you can hold on until June to see if the 17 gets updated, I would have waited. I waited 6 months to by my first mac back in 2007 because I was waiting for the Santa Rose MBP update. It's a long and stressful wait but loved getting that fresh machine.

17. underblu macrumors regular

Good for you and enjoy the laptop.

You know it's funny I'm on a Porsche forum and several months ago after the new 911 was announced there seemed less angst over whether to wait for the new 911 or buy the current one. Partly because the previous one was so good and I think some folks preferred the look and size of the previous one.

Bottom line, products will continually be updated be happy and utilize what you have just like a Porsche this years or last years MBP is a great machine.

18. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

This. I have no envy about the new machines because the one I have is great. Constantly pining for the next big thing is no way to live.

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Bragging rights I suppose.. Also, some people believe buying the latest does mean having the greatest, even if it's an overkill for them!

It's mostly psychological IMO.

20. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I think many of us are part of the generation that always wants the latest and greatest. It used to be getting the latest Jordan's (BTW, I wasn't really into them, but I know a lot of people were). Now, it is the latest iDevice, the latest BMW, etc. I feel fortunate and blessed to have these "problems", but I also work hard for them.

I would have waited for the new model, but it always depends on your needs. I don't think it is financially responsible to buy the latest MBP every year, but that is just me. I plan on selling mine and updating every two years. Part of my plan is to keep my 2011 iMac (27", 3Ghz, 16GB RAM) until it doesn't want to run right anymore, replacing my iPhone every two years because of these stupid two year contracts (thinking about paying full price for my freedom) and replacing my iPad every year. Again, I am blessed to be in this position. YMMV.

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

#westernworldproblems