Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Apple store was lagging so ordered my 64gb space black through verizon (on my own line). Then replaced my wife's line with a 64gb silver. Both showing delivery for 11/3.

Switched to Best Buy and was able to order two more 64gb (one of each color) and was not asked to provide line information - not sure how that will work out - maybe I choose at time of activation or something?

Once the dust settled I noticed that the Best Buy orders came through at $1,099 instead of $999 like the verizon ones. What the?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
you'll have to call to price match but not sure if you're able to AFTER you've already purchased it. BB always has theirs $100 over apple.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Apple store was lagging so ordered my 64gb space black through verizon (on my own line). Then replaced my wife's line with a 64gb silver. Both showing delivery for 11/3.

Switched to Best Buy and was able to order two more 64gb (one of each color) and was not asked to provide line information - not sure how that will work out - maybe I choose at time of activation or something?

Once the dust settled I noticed that the Best Buy orders came through at $1,099 instead of $999 like the verizon ones. What the?
Best buy charges more

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Its a mistake. They will either adjust on their own or you can price match. Wait till you pick up and then deal with it at that time.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Hahahaha what jerks! That’s pretty shameless having a retailer like Best Buy jack up prices for hot stuff. They have every right to do it but jerk move.

AlyMourad

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Egypt
It is the same for the iPhone 8. They always charge $100 more than the retail price.

Yeah then you can ask for a price match and they will refund the difference. I guess they make huge profits from those people who don’t ask for a price match so they keep it

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Don’t think it’s a mistake. I remember they did that several times before

How can they justify selling it more than anybody else? This doesn’t make sense, why would anybody get it from them if it’s more then every other company in the world..

AlyMourad

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Egypt
How can they justify selling it more than anybody else? This doesn’t make sense, why would anybody get it from them if it’s more then every other company in the world..

Yeah. I don’t know why they do that. I think they also did it with Samsung phones before

DarthBradicus

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Any phone (or at least iPhone) sold at Best Buy not attached to a carrier plan is $100 more than regular price. I assume it’s because they don’t make much, if any, money on the actual phones as opposed to the activations that normally go along with them. All you gotta do is go into a store within the return period and get it price matched.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Any phone (or at least iPhone) sold at Best Buy not attached to a carrier plan is $100 more than regular price. I assume it’s because they don’t make much, if any, money on the actual phones as opposed to the activations that normally go along with them. All you gotta do is go into a store within the return period and get it price matched.

Darth, you just answered the question I came here to ask...

I definitely selected ATT as my carrier.

redacted Best Buy order.jpg

I thought it might have been because I connected to Best buy from Southwest Rapid Rewards shopping site to get southwest frequent flyer points for my order...

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

From what I've read, if they sell the phone in full, not tied to a plan, they aren't really making any money off the sale. When tied to carrier plans, they get a kickback. If you notice, the 24 month option comes up to the apple price.

I've also read that it is against policy to price match it, though some people have reported success.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Well almost 5 hours later and I popped into the Apple store app and saw that 64gb blacks are still available for pickup at my local store, so I ordered two using the same line info as I did for my Verizon orders. Which will take precedence I wonder - Apple or vzw?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
From what I've read, if they sell the phone in full, not tied to a plan, they aren't really making any money off the sale. When tied to carrier plans, they get a kickback. If you notice, the 24 month option comes up to the apple price.

I've also read that it is against policy to price match it, though some people have reported success.

Everybody should boycott them. How dare they!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.