Ordered white/32/LTE but wondering if should have gotten black/32/wifi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eoren1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

Quick question on my choice of an iPad:

I chose white but am wondering if black is preferable. Read some opinions (mostly from when iPad 2 came out) suggesting black was the better choice. Thoughts on the white getting dirty or being distracting - especially outdoors? I thought it would be a nice 'mat' for photos as I am a photographer and expect to use it to show my portfolio at times.

I got the LTE version but now am wondering if it makes more sense to tether to my iphone (which has an unlimited data plan) for 20/month than spend add'l money on the iPad plan. Also, plan to get the next iPhone which will have LTE anyway.

So should I cancel the white/32/LTE and get the black/32/wifi???
    Appreciate your thoughts

2. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

You're a photographer and choose a white one to display your portfolio?! Back move my friend, you should know why if you're a photographer

But the white doesn't really get any more dirty than the black, its white plastic with glass on top so its just as easy to get dirty as the black one. Now if you grab a hold of it with muddy hands, of course it will get dirty, but not any more than the black one would get

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Im also debating LTE vs WiFi only as seen in my other thread.

As far as the color goes, just pick the one you like. I have had both and I prefer the look of the white personally. My preferences change often though depending on mood. I just ordered my "the New iPad" in white and this is my 3rd straight white version. But I ordered my 4S in black. My "the New iPhone" will probably be white next time. :rolleyes:

The white doesnt get "dirty" or change my personal experiences in video and photo viewing.

YMMV

4. rgarjr, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Don't you need a data plan with tether option to use your phone?

The white will show debris on the plastic trim that surrounds the glass more easily and around the middle button, but it's expected on the color.

If you have a phone paying data plan for it already, don't see why you would wanna pay for another plan unless you really need it.

5. maclook, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012

maclook macrumors 65816

I had a black iPhone 4 and now a white iPhone 4S. Both colors are cool imo. The worst thing about the white is that there's a black border around the screen so it's not as seamless as the black screen to black bezel. You can see it in the picture below. Pros for the white are that you almost never see the fingerprints. I also think it's a nice change after having (and still owning) a lot of black gadgets. The white is really white.

Ignoring your LTE/wifi decision, you can always try out the white iPad first and see if you like it. You have a couple weeks to change your mind and exchange it for a black. I think all the rationalizing over what color is "better" is BS. It's all about feel. You don't obsess over the bezel color once you start using it.

[​IMG]

6. carrako macrumors regular

alot of threads like this... but its really comes down to your personal preference. I previously owned the iPad 32GB Blk 3G model, but out of the 11 months I used it, i noticed I only activated 3G for 3 of those months, and really barely used it during those times. I found myself, under my daily environment, to be around wifi almost 95% of the time. So for me, I chose the wifi only model this time to save money and use that money for accessories instead. If you travel alot or are outside of wifi a good bit, I would definitely recommend the LTE.

7. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

I am now leaning more toward black but may pop into an Apple store on the way home to make up my mind.

As for LTE, I am on an unlimited plan and understand I can't add the tethering option without losing it.

My wife is on the 250MB plan but I figured we could up her to 3gb and add tether if we go on vacation or use it over the Summer at the outdoor pool. Would end up saving money on the plan (and $130 on the device) during that time.

8. MTShipp, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

MTShipp macrumors 6502a

This will be my third iPad (1, 2 now 3rd Gen). Each time I intentionally went with the (then) 3G and now 4G for one reason only. GPS.

I only activated 3G on my 1st Gen iPad for 1 month and shut it down. I had my iPad 2 for a year and never activated 3G. With the 4G coming, I may activate it for a month to see how fast it is in my area but since I have tethering on my iPhone 4S, I will most likely not keep the iPad activated on 4G.

Again, my only reason is the GPS.

9. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought they 'fixed' the missing GPS issue that was present in the wifi only iPad 2 but, looking at the specs, I see 'assisted GPS' listed for the LTE version only....

10. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Thats a great point. I really like the GPS option and could reserve the LTE for when 3G and WiFi arent available and when showing off iPad streaming features to friends. ;)

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, it's also about your personal taste. For example, currently I own a black first generation iPad, but I love white second generation iPads just as much.

I've heard many arguments why should go for a black or white iPad, so I will just give you a few.

First of all, white is more fashionable. Most people will get a black iPad, or a black iPhone. Why? I don't really know... it just seems 'normal'. You could argue that getting the black iPad is what is normal, getting the white iPad is a choice.

The black iPad has an advantage when you are watching a movie, for example: a white border will distract you, but a black border just 'fits' - it doesn't distract.

A disadvantage for the white iPad, is that it is easier to see dirt. It's much harder to see dirt on a black bezel, than on a white bezel. Black absorbs colours, white reflects all colours. This doesn't mean that a white iPad easily gets dirty and a black iPad doesn't. It means that it's easier to see when your iPad is dirty or not.

An advantage for the white iPad, is that everything just seems to have more contrast. The black border usually is 'more black', than the black on a turned on iPad display (unless you are in the sun). Your eyes and brain will automatically compare the black on the display with the black bezel. As a result, the contrast seems to be lower. You don't have this problem with the white iPad: you simply can't compare the black on the display with the bezel.

Another advantage for the white iPad is that it is much harder to see fingerprints. It's easy to see fingerprints on the black bezel of an iPad, but it's much harder to see fingerprints on a white iPad.

A disadvantage of a white iPad is that, for example, 50% brightness on a white iPad seems to be less bright than 50% brightness on a black iPad. Again, your brain is comparing the white with the white bezel.

You are photographer so I think white is a nice colour. It shows you are fashionable and perhaps more importantly: contrast will look higher and colours will really pop (positively), which I think is great for pictures.

Recently, I saw a white iPad 2 in a stand at the dentist and it looked absolutely gorgeous: it showed fashion, but it also looked professional and it blended in gorgeously with the environment.

I think both black and white are great, and they both have advantages and disadvantages. I probably will go for black, but that's because I will also look movies at it (and than the black bezel is more distracting) and simply because it's the standard.

For you, as a photographer, I think a white iPad is a great choice.

Regarding your LTE question. I obviously don't know how you are going to use the device. I've currently got the first gen. iPad 32 GB + 3G. I don't use 3G that much, but when I do it is really great. First of all, the 4G model's got GPS which is really great on the go. Secondly, it's really great when you go abroad and you don't want to roam at high costs. Last but not least, it doesn't cost your phone's battery! The iPad's got a huge battery, but the iPhone has a really little one. Furthermore, we don't know how much power LTE on an iPhone is going to suck... perhaps 4 hours? Do you really want to go without juice for the rest of the day?

So the LTE thing is really a personal thing, but I'd get it if I were you.

12. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Made up my mind about colors

I'm a physician first (photographer second) and, as luck would have it, my last two patients each had an iPad - one white, one black. Both belonged to a family with kids so had really been put to the test. The white was discolored (but looked like it could be cleaned) and was distracting thought as mentioned above, looked brighter and had more 'pop'. Black was 'cleaner' even though it was a 1st generation and was a bit more muted as far as brightness/contrast though seemed a bit more professional. I'll switch over to the black version after this review.

As for LTE, still a bit stuck. Trying to decide how often I'll use it outside the house/away from wifi - especially as I always have the iPhone with me for photography related apps. Figured that, for vacations, I would up my wife's data plan from the 300MB to 5gig/hotspot which would be an additional $30 per month. If I did that for the entire Summer to account for time at the pool and some vacations, it would end up costing an additional $90 vs the cost of the device with LTE (+130) and data (minimum 15/month).

Seems like it just makes more sense to go for the black/32/wifi in my case.