Ordering new 4S Can activation wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sandman1969, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I think this is the case, but want to be sure as my buddy said his dad had a problem. :confused:

If I order my wife a new 4S now, her current phone will continue to work until it is actually activated on Christmas, correct?

My buddy was saying his dad had his old phone stop working before he activated the new one. I don't quite believe him, but he was adamant about it.

Sorry for the dumb question, just want it to be a surprise. I don't see how he could have been right because you have to set the phone up before you can use it so there is no reason the current phone won't continue to work until activation.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The old phone will continue to work until you activate the iPhone when you receive it.

3. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

That is what I thought. Don't know how it could be any other way. Not sure what he was talking about as it makes no sense at all.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Is he on Sprint by an chance? Because if you order a phone from them as an upgrade, they will sometimes activate the number on the new phone, when they ship, so the old stops working. They did that to my son, when I ordered his upgrade.

5. gr8tfly, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Was he changing phone numbers? In that case, perhaps he just arranged to stop service on the old number too soon.

Otherwise, I can't think of how a same number transfer of service wouldn't go as I mentioned above. I've been through it 6 times now, without problem (my wife's and my 1st gens, 3GSs, and most recently, 4Ss).

Edit: given verwon's post, I should point out mine have all been AT&T.

6. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

His dad is AT&T as he has had iPhones since the beginning I think. I am not sure if he used the same number. But I imagine he would as it is associated with his business.

Yeah I have never had any problems with mine since the first one. So not sure of the circumstances. I will just go into to Best Buy and get it since I don't want to deal with a delivery that requires a signature. I will verify with them when I buy it.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

It depends on how you buy the new phone. If you order the new phone through the mail then the old phone will continue to work. I bought a new phone from Best Buy one time, and it immediately deactivated the old phone even though I hadn't even opened the box on the new phone.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes if you order the iphone via the apple online store, you can activate it on Christmas day without affecting your old phone. You can continue to use it. If you purchase it at your local apple store or retail store that sells the iphone, they will activate it on the spot.

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Just make sure the iphone actually gets activated. when you put in for a new phone and you got it cheaper because you were eligible for a line upgrade you must activate the phone (within 6 months i think) otherwise you get charged the full amount of the phone. its to prevent people from getting cheap phones through upgrades and then selling them.

this actually happened to my sister with verizon. they charged her like 670 dollars for 2 phones she upgraded but never activated. they just kept putting it aside and never got around to it. then they moved and lost one of the phones so they almost had to pay. they did reverse the charges after finding both phones and activating.

just bringing it up because id hate to see someone get a iphone through an upgrade and think they can sell for profit then end up with a bill for 600+ dollars several months later because they never activated it.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Why not purchase it when your ready to activate it?