Oregon gun store owner tried to block troubled woman from buying gun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerok, Feb 9, 2015.

1. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Failure of current background check. Even after salesman advised against selling any weapons to her

Also interesting to note for people against wait time for new firearm owners

And for those that argue that harsher background checks won't change anything.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/oregon_gun_store_owner_tried_t.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from link

this woman would NOT have been able to purchase a firearm IF she had been 5150'd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(involuntary_psychiatric_hold)
    not sure why the deputies did not place her under 5150 after the visit.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Assisted suicide is legal in Oregon. She didn't need a gun, just a doctor.

5. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

She is not eligible.

Eligibility:
    Terminally-ill patients who wish to obtain a prescription under the Oregon, Washington, or Vermont law must be a resident of one of the three states and follow a series of steps in order to be certified.

Among other requirements, a patient must be:

18 years of age or older,
    a resident of Oregon, Washington, or Vermont;
    capable of making and communicating health care decisions for him/herself;
    and diagnosed with a terminal illness that will lead to death within six months.
    - See more at: http://www.deathwithdignity.org/access-acts#sthash.ODvlWW8X.dpuf

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't see the problem either. :confused:

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Maybe that's the problem

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Maybe you are right? :confused:

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she entered care 13 times on her own, threatened suicide & had living parents, WHY did her parents NOT do a 5150 hold on her? why didn't the deputies?

her parents failed her, not sure why the deputies also let it be. in the end she died by her own hand.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sad story. Sometimes suicidal people just need a few moments or days to decide not to kill themselves. Allowing somebody in obvious distress to by a firearm is like ... giving them a loaded gun. Makes no sense.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is a terrible tragedy.

I give a tremendous amount of credit to the gun store owner who had both the human decency and morals to refuse to sell a firearm to someone they believed was going to harm themselves. I don't know if state laws generally permit this sort of principled refusal.

Obviously both this woman's family, plus whatever medical or psychological professionals she may have contacted, are asking themselves what they could have done differently.

But the reality is, someone determined to take their own life is going to do so. Death by self-inflicted gunshot isn't pleasant - but given the alternatives: hanging, poison, deliberate car accident - aren't any better, And can sometimes be worse.

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Sad story, but a waiting period would not have made a difference as the method of suicide would have just changed.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This isn't a state law issue.

The BATFE gives Federal Firearms Licensees a blanket right to refuse a transaction for any reason or no reason at all. Basically, if something seems "fishy" about a transaction for any reason, they are permitted-and some would argue obligated-to refuse the transaction.

14. jkcerda, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I see gang members get kicked out of stores pretty often, you can refuse to sell to ANYONE, just don't say it was because of race/sex/age blah blah blah.

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I'd heard good things about Keith's. Now I'll make my next purchase there for certain. I am always glad when I see people act responsibly, stereotypes be damned. (The stereotypes of gun stores being willing to sell to anyone, etc.)

That said, a 'stricter' background check wouldn't have changed anything, since there was nothing to report. A longer wait time may not have mattered - she obviously was still suicidal enough to carry through with it the next day.

Yes, guns make suicide attempts more likely to be lethal - but making guns harder to get won't suddenly stop all suicides that would have been committed with a firearm. We need to address the cause - mental and emotional issues - not the tool. Sure, make guns harder to get for people who shouldn't have them - but making them extremely hard to get for those who aren't criminals or mentally unstable just paints everyone with the same brush.

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Any business has the Right to refuse service to anyone...

Well that is until the crazy person makes the claim it is because of their race or sex and then the store has no choice.

----------

Can you show me that ATF rule?

It isn't that I don't believe you, I am honestly interested in the wording.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They might not be crazy, and it might be true.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No I see an entirely new civil rights movement for the non-discrimination of crazy people. :eek:

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

So neither of you see a problem with selling weapons to those with a history of mental illness?