macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
https://news.fastcompany.com/oregon-just-raised-the-smoking-age-heres-why-that-makes-good-financial-sense-4042761

i tire of this nonsense which says you must be 21 to smoke and drink. The legal age of responsibility is 18 in every state so mandate drinking and smoking age as 18 for consistency. Otherwise set legal age of responsibility to 21 and be done with it. To be consistent, set age of consent, driving age, draft age to 21 too. I mean, there can’t be any inconsistencies.
Let's just outlaw cigarettes and make it a class 2 narcotic. I agree that these differing "adult ages" are stupid. Just pick one and set everything to it.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Mostly "country" and farmland outside of the major metro areas like Portland. I'd imagine youth there are more into snuff than smokes.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Just set the smoking age to whatever age smokers are mature enough to properly dispose of the cigarette butts instead of throwing them on the street like a spoiled child throws his toys.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I think cigarette need to be classified as an illegal drug. Smokers don't only harm themselves but it harms people around them. At least pot doesn't effect anyone else except for the smoker.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Er. Pot smoke is as bad as tobacco smoke.
Pot doesn't give you cancer. I don't even smoke nor do I take any intoxicants. But even I know weed is beneficial and a whole lot better than cigarettes and alchocol.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Yeah. Pot is the miracle drug :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm all for legalization but don't freaking lie just because the studies are not out there
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/marijuana/long-term-health-effects-adults

It's your body. Do meth if you like. But stop lying about what weed does
I get they feeling you're a smoker.

I never said pot was a miracle drug. But there are many benefits of pot. A recent study actually showed weed smoking beats opioids when it comes to pain treatment.

Well at least meth addicts have the decency to smoke meth in private unlike many cigarette smokers who insist upon sharing their smoke with the rest of us.

93% of patients prefer cannabis over opioids for managing pain ...

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
https://news.fastcompany.com/oregon-just-raised-the-smoking-age-heres-why-that-makes-good-financial-sense-4042761

i tire of this nonsense which says you must be 21 to smoke and drink. The legal age of responsibility is 18 in every state so mandate drinking and smoking age as 18 for consistency. Otherwise set legal age of responsibility to 21 and be done with it. To be consistent, set age of consent, driving age, draft age to 21 too. I mean, there can’t be any inconsistencies.
I agree. Everything should be raised to age 21.
[doublepost=1499533128][/doublepost]
I think cigarette need to be classified as an illegal drug. Smokers don't only harm themselves but it harms people around them. At least pot doesn't effect anyone else except for the smoker.
I gather you have never experienced second hand smoke from a pot smoker or don't have allergies.

As far as I'm concerned, I would be very happy if nobody smoked anything.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I get they feeling you're a smoker.

I never said pot was a miracle drug. But there are many benefits of pot. A recent study actually showed weed smoking beats opioids when it comes to pain treatment.

Well at least meth addicts have the decency to smoke meth in private unlike many cigarette smokers who insist upon sharing their smoke with the rest of us.

93% of patients prefer cannabis over opioids for managing pain ...
Your feelings are wrong. I don't drink /smoke/ do drugs. Like I said it's your body , prostitute it or fill it with the drug of your choice I like that level of freedom but there are plenty of lies coming from the pot industry and its users

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Here you go, and if you don't like it because the American Lung association's website isn't peer reviewed they cite their sources so you can look up the actual studies.

Im all for raising the age to 21. While most people that start do get it illegally, kids in high school are much more likely to have an 18 year old friend who can buy tobacco for them than a friend that is 21.

Reactions: jkcerda

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Let's just outlaw cigarettes and make it a class 2 narcotic. I agree that these differing "adult ages" are stupid. Just pick one and set everything to it.
If our prisons in the U.S. weren't already full enough of "pot smokers" now we're going to throw all the cigarette smokers in there? The war on drugs has already failed so let's just double down on that strategy. Police SWAT teams busting down doors to get someone's Marlboros. You've got to be kidding me. I don't smoke and don't want people smoking around me in an enclosed space, but let's get real here.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
If our prisons in the U.S. weren't already full enough of "pot smokers" now we're going to throw all the cigarette smokers in there? The war on drugs has already failed so let's just double down on that strategy. Police SWAT teams busting down doors to get someone's Marlboros. You've got to be kidding me. I don't smoke and don't want people smoking around me in an enclosed space, but let's get real here.
I think in some ways we need to reconsider what is a felony because prisons are full of people that really have no right being there. One test would be how the felony impacted other people. Do drug users really need to be locked up? They're harming theirselves but unless they are a menace to others then do they need to be locked up?