Oregon raised smoking age to 21

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Jul 8, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

https://news.fastcompany.com/oregon...s-why-that-makes-good-financial-sense-4042761

i tire of this nonsense which says you must be 21 to smoke and drink. The legal age of responsibility is 18 in every state so mandate drinking and smoking age as 18 for consistency. Otherwise set legal age of responsibility to 21 and be done with it. To be consistent, set age of consent, driving age, draft age to 21 too. I mean, there can’t be any inconsistencies.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Let's just outlaw cigarettes and make it a class 2 narcotic. I agree that these differing "adult ages" are stupid. Just pick one and set everything to it.

3. Zenithal Suspended

Mostly "country" and farmland outside of the major metro areas like Portland. I'd imagine youth there are more into snuff than smokes.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Didn't they try 18 as the drinking age in the late 70s? Lots of seniors were showing up drunk or something.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Once again the 18-20 year olds are being screwed. You are old enough to die for your country, but not old enough to drink or smoke? Com' on, man. Dat ain't right. A bunch of geezers, who probably drank and smoked at that age, want to take that away from the younger generation.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, multiple ages to be able to do something is dumb.

7. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Just set the smoking age to whatever age smokers are mature enough to properly dispose of the cigarette butts instead of throwing them on the street like a spoiled child throws his toys.

8. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I think cigarette need to be classified as an illegal drug. Smokers don't only harm themselves but it harms people around them. At least pot doesn't effect anyone else except for the smoker.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Er. Pot smoke is as bad as tobacco smoke.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Source?

11. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Pot doesn't give you cancer. I don't even smoke nor do I take any intoxicants. But even I know weed is beneficial and a whole lot better than cigarettes and alchocol.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

13. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Bob Marley had a rare form of melanoma. When he was diagnosed in a late stage. Nothing could have been done about it. No one claimed pot cures cancer, but he does help with the pain and the side effects of chemo and radiation.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

15. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I get they feeling you're a smoker.

I never said pot was a miracle drug. But there are many benefits of pot. A recent study actually showed weed smoking beats opioids when it comes to pain treatment.

Well at least meth addicts have the decency to smoke meth in private unlike many cigarette smokers who insist upon sharing their smoke with the rest of us.

93% of patients prefer cannabis over opioids for managing pain ...

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree. Everything should be raised to age 21.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2017 ---
    I gather you have never experienced second hand smoke from a pot smoker or don't have allergies.

As far as I'm concerned, I would be very happy if nobody smoked anything.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Your feelings are wrong. I don't drink /smoke/ do drugs. Like I said it's your body , prostitute it or fill it with the drug of your choice I like that level of freedom but there are plenty of lies coming from the pot industry and its users

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Here you go, and if you don't like it because the American Lung association's website isn't peer reviewed they cite their sources so you can look up the actual studies.

Im all for raising the age to 21. While most people that start do get it illegally, kids in high school are much more likely to have an 18 year old friend who can buy tobacco for them than a friend that is 21.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thank you!!!!! This is why I ****ing hate smokers and don't give a **** about their "rights".

20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If our prisons in the U.S. weren't already full enough of "pot smokers" now we're going to throw all the cigarette smokers in there? The war on drugs has already failed so let's just double down on that strategy. Police SWAT teams busting down doors to get someone's Marlboros. You've got to be kidding me. I don't smoke and don't want people smoking around me in an enclosed space, but let's get real here.

21. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Litter laws should take care of that.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Look everyone is drinking and taking drugs and having sex at 16 if not younger. What's the point in making it illegal?

23. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

So we can b!tch and rant about it on here?

24. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You obviously did not do your homework before posting this...
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hazards-of-secondhand-marijuana-smoke/

25. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I think in some ways we need to reconsider what is a felony because prisons are full of people that really have no right being there. One test would be how the felony impacted other people. Do drug users really need to be locked up? They're harming theirselves but unless they are a menace to others then do they need to be locked up?