O'Reilly admits he was wrong

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 27, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This made me laugh out loud. I think we can safely assume that Bill O'Reilly is insane. :) Plus, I know a lot guys who fantasize about lesbian gangs. :)

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Like everyone in the journalist (read entertainment) industry, he too has his bouts with crack-smoking.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sure-they just usually don't smoke it several times a day. :)

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I'll grant you when he goes whacky, he spares nothing. I like taking his column (and now Coulter's) and strike out the sentences that make absolute zero sense or have no factual basis and then I read what's left. On average Bill's column is about 1/3 the former size. I have yet to get an entire sentence out of Coulter's. Not the Coulter smokes crack, she's just a Nazi.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If only other entertainment personalities were so quick to retreat their incorrect statements.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...you're calling O'Reilly quick?

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

o'reilly and dailykos are at war atm. i was kind of hoping this was about that. oh well.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh come on zim. This is damn funny! :D

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Measured and responsible.

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

"Measured"? by what measure? "Responsible"? I can apply that to few "journalists" and Bill isn't one of them.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Anyone who incites violence is so far removed from any definition of responsibility it defies belief. Anyone who can't see this is so far removed from reality it defies belief.

What is the name for the parallel universe you inhabit?

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Hitting that DailyKOS site pretty hard lately, have we?

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have it bookmarked but only visit about once a month or so. There are a few good environmental diaries and the Founding Fathers series was pretty good too. The majority of the site is a little too extreme for my tastes and I rarely read the main page so I'm not sure what you're inferring here.

oreilly gets a lot of coverage throughout the MSM because he's so over the top and so extreme. His rants about killing those who essentially disagree with his narrow and bigoted view point have been pretty well broadcast.

What was the most recent one? About lesbian gangs taking over the world?

He's a bigot, a racist, a homophobe and only interested in inciting the intellectually lazy to further his and murdoch's aims. Like the blonde bimbo who was convicted of voting illegally, he's a hazard to civil society.

Do your actually watch his show?

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Over the top/bigoted view = ratings. Classic formula. Is it really any wonder why his ratings are tops? The Factor is one step away from being Jerry Springer. Freak shows sell.

It is interesting that in the radio factor he is much more subdued and on occassion his opinions make sense. Even when they don't I like the subjects he brings to the foreground. Today for instance his sub talked about how many military posts are having once a month or once a quarter funerals for war deaths instead of individual funerals. As a soldier you make the ultimate sacrifice (combat/non-combat/whatever) and you get to share your funeral with who know how many other service folks. I find that appalling no matter what his or his cronies' opinions are.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nothing like a little spin to make him appear as though he might possibly be a human being, is there?! :D

I don't listen to talk radio, it's a waste of time no matter who is doing the talking. Generally it's either extreme left or extreme right and as I said, designed to incite violence and intolerance rather than foster discussion. I did listen to Air America a couple of times but they were just as smarmy as the right wingers.

It sounds as though reilly is blaming US bases for the problem and refusing to acknowledge the fact that more soldiers are being killed all the time. Whose fault is that? Perhaps reilly should share some of the blame since he pushed so hard for the war in the first place.

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Hold up! It's not the opinion I find of interest (which i didn't even listen to, btw, and it wasn't O'reilly, it was his sub), rather it was the topic that got my attention. I am not sure if you listened to the show to gather what his opinion was or if you were drawing conclusions from my decription, but either way, the opinion wasn't the issue.

I can only stick with talk-radio shows for 10-15 minutes tops (includes NPR), but they do give much to think about if you can filter out the noise (not that I am always successful).

17. Queso macrumors G4

Or Fair and Balanced if you prefer....

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If you're trying to say that he brings up issues that aren't covered elsewhere, then this isn't a good one. It's been covered for the last two or three days by the MSM.

I don't listen to talk radio at all. It's inflammatory and IMO, for the intellectually lazy. There are tons of good news sources out there that present the facts and allow the reader or the listener to make his own decision. NPR, Christian Science Monitor, etc. I'm not saying that all news has to be factual, well written editorials are extremely valuable.

I'm really interested in the Balkans and two sites I read on a regular basis are serbianna.com and Radio B92. They both have a one sided view but they pretty much tell you right up front how they view the issue. As opposed to O'Reilly who hides behind some money driven tattered flag of patriotism.

If I want to hear about issues, the last person I want to hear them from is a partisan hack.

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Each to their own. I find that no matter where I go, what I see and who I listen to I always find myself questioning motive and agenda. I too find little objectivity in the news.

Side note: MSM? Methyl Sulfonyl Methane??

Sorry, i didn't see my example on CNN, NRP, Foxnews, ABC, CBS...

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

BTW guys- I've been sending this article to all the lesbians I know. They assured me that lesbian gangs are not only in the human population, but in the animal kingdom as well. They said the lesbian rabbit gangs are especially vicious, but they didn't say why. :D

21. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I used to raise chickens as a young boy and when the rooster came around the hen house, the hens would sometimes get rather violent.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- I think that might be for different reasons. ;)

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's a distinction between "talk radio" and "public radio", which is whether it's commercial or non-commercial (respectively).

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

If they're on the radio and they're talking, it's talk radio as far as I care. But thanks for the clarification

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Lesbian gangs? Where the hell did that even come from? What a moron :D