O'Reilly wrong. Again.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Jun 5, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, everyone is wrong from time to time, but not everyone makes "facts" up on national television and passes them off as real news. What's most wrong about this is that even after O'Reilly finds out newspapers actually fold, he won't admit he is wrong.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Has the man no shame?

Let's see the wingers defend him on this one.

If the NYT can sue him, I hope they do, scum like him needs to be taken out of the spotlight. Scum like Murdoch need to be prevented from buying any more newspapers.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

Maybe it was so small he couldnt see it. :) Hmm, guess I'm a "winger" now. lol.

I guess you'd think a plot to blow up an airport would get a bigger headline.. over bricks at least.

I sense much fear in you.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What you sense is disgust that the English speaking world would allow this charlatan to continue to purchase the media that he has. He's turned them all into sensationalist rags/stations that are only interested in propagating his paranoid worldview.

Freedom of the Press also means diversity.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The size of the article has absolutely no bearing on this.

Was it on the front page? Yes.
    Did O'Reilly claim that there was no front page story? Yes

We are given three choices:
    1. He's lying.
    2. He made a mistake and should correct himself
    3. He made a mistake and won't correct himself which puts him back to lying.

Unless he corrects his mistake, he's intentionally lying.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe O'Reilly is so small, he didn't look.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd say all three. Remember, neocons never admit it when they're wrong.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You call that teaser paragraph a story? Lol! I hope you feel the same way if they cover the DNC the same way next year.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This non-story is so worthless it has already disappeared from the BBC and every other outlet completely. The NYT shouldn't have even bothered to have it on p37. It's a total con trick. Conspiracy, my arse. These "Libertarian" Republicans just love to frighten themselves.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

There's a bold heading that reads

It's on the front page. Bill said:

He's either stupid, lying or both. His picture proof had the paper conveniently folded to either cover up the fact that he was lying or because he was too dumb to unfold the paper to see all of page 1.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is it there, or is it not? Looks like it's there to me. And that looks like page 1.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Exactly. Swarmlord's side-stepping the issue, as usual.

"It's not long enough. It's below the fold. The font is too small."

Blah blah blah.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This has very little to do with pointing out the bias in the NYT. It's an outright fabrication. You can point out bias easily with the truth as well:

Truth
    Lie
    but the lie is ever so slightly more sensational so Bill opted for outrage over integrity.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Republicans have been brainwashed into believing the truth is in the 'source', not the 'content'. They do not seem to mind being lied to. Bill is one of their heros. He is living proof that stupidity, dishonesty and total lack of any redeeming human values, is not important to get ahead in the conservative world.

17. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Exactly. The consequences of the "attack" were blown way out of proportion in order to scare people into believe Republicans are the only ones capable of "defending freedom". The blast at the fuel tanks would have been self contained and wouldn't have traveled down the pipeline like I've hear some fear mongers saying.

Finally, you admit what we've all known for ages.

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, at least I now know that a three sentence teaser on the front page for an article buried on page 37 constitutes a front page story.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! Wow! Amazing! Yeah- something on the first page is "buried". Unbelievable- "conservatives" never cease to amaze me.

Bottom line- O'Reilly lied! Get it yet?

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It did look like it was placed where a reader's right thumb would go, so Bill's copy was probably smudged. :)

21. cube macrumors G5

Please post complete names. I thought the thread was about Tim, after all this is the internet, not American TV.

22. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, I had assumed that since I had posted this in the PRSI sub-forum, people would know that it was about the political commentator Bill O'Reilly and not a publisher of computer related books.

In the future though, I will post full names.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is about another loudmouth draft dodging republican. Seems those draft dodgers allways have the biggest mouths for war.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My, what big thumbs you have!

The question is whether or not the article was on the front page, not whether you drooled all over your morning newspaper.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well yes. Any article that is on the front page is technically a 'Front Page' story. The most important story in a newspaper starts above the fold on the front page and is followed by coverage on page A1. Other stories will flow through the paper depending on space, length of stories, importance, etc. This story was important enough to warrant a front-page mention, but not important or mature enough to get A1-A11 space (I'm just guessing here, I can't remember how many pages the NYTimes A-section typically has).

O'Reilly was trying to make a point, and when reality didn't line up to his prejudices, he simply bullsh*tted his way through.

No surprises here.