Organ Donation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by F1 Fan, Apr 5, 2013.

1. F1 Fan, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

A friend of mine lost his 28 year old wife to cycstic fibrosis yesterday. She had been on the waiting list for donor lungs for years but the right donor never materialised.

I don't know how this works in other countries but in the UK all you have to do is fill in a simple form, carry a card with you (not actually needed but it helps) and tell your next of kin that you would like to help someone else have more life after you're gone so that they can give authorisation.

It doesn't take long and it really does save lives. If you haven't already, please seriously consider it.

Thanks

----------

EDIT: As pointed out by robbieduncan, I forgot to include the link:

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is so sad, 28 is way too young to die.

I'm an organ donor. In Colorado, they ask you when you get a drivers license. There is a heart on the lower right corner of my license signifying my status as an organ donor.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

So sorry for your loss...truly tragic.

Organ donation seems such a simple act...and so powerful in it's impact.

I have taken a bit of a different route, I'm a full body donor to a medical school. My hope is that contributing to the training of future Docs may do some good.

When you are a full body donor, you are only allowed to have corneas harvested....I'm registered for cornea donation.

5. F1 Fan thread starter macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Thank you guys. Both for your kind words and for being registered donors :)

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

In the US, the idea of organ donation is something you have to affirmitively participate in. If the records (the back of your drivers license, or whatever else) are not available, the presumption is that the donation should not occur. If the family members are grieving, there has to be an affirmative declaration that donation is desired.

I think we would all be better off if we reversed the system. I think we should have a line on the back of drivers licenses that says you DO NOT want to donate, or your family must affirmatively state that they do NOT want to donate your organs. If either DON'T happen, the presumption should be donation.

If we made that one, small step, many lives would be saved.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've been an organ donor since I first got my drivers license. IMO, anyone who is not a donor is selfish. You're dead. You don't need your organs. Give them to somebody else so that they might enjoy life.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

This is a very important step in the process. Even though you register with the state that you want to be a donor, make sure you talk to loved ones and inform them of your decision: Parents, spouses, domestic partners, or adult children.

Both my wife and I are donors, and we've "cleared" it with each other.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My wife wouldn't have the little eyesight she has if it weren't for organ donors.

After a number of corneal transplants, I would count as one of the happiest days of our lives together were the days our children were born, and she was able to see and hold them.

That, plus knowing that my first GF's organs now live on in other people (she was killed in a car accident in 1991) gives me solace in knowing that even in death, she has saved and changed lives.

These two alone were enough to change my mind from not being a donor to becoming a donor.

BL.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Totally agree. However I believe in the UK the final decision still lies with your next of kin regardless of what you fill out before. My wife and I are both registered and will support that decision when the time comes.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I say the best thing you can do NOW is go give blood to your local Red Cross Center. My life was saved (accident where I almost died) because of blood donations (The Doctor said they were short on O+ blood at the time). So please if you want to do some good now go give blood.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I need to say how much value this thread has.

I'm so used to long threads, with tremendous emotion expressed , over iOS vs Android, or some other astoundingly trivial issue.

As one who has made an MR career of posting snotty, sarcastic posts of little value...this thread should somehow be made more public...the discussion is so moving and important.

I know I'm babbling...sorry. I just wanted to express my appreciation of this thread.:D

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Terrific thread, and a whole slew of positive, uplifting, life-affirming posts.

Actually, a wonderful thread to see on MR, topic and content both. Well done, one and all.....

14. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The same is true in Georgia

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I ticked the box when I got my lisence, so I guess I am :) No reason not to, really...

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

We've had 300+ views. I hope we're not just preaching to the choir.. and that perhaps some of those who viewed had a thought planted in their minds.:D

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Agree with this to, but unfortunately I can't for medical reasons. But for those that do, Thank you.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you haven't done it, perhaps even with your medical situation, you could be an organ donor..(.hint, hint):D;)

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

There is no way in hell I would leave my organs to the medical community just so some freeloading, welfare queen can use Obama care to get the liver I took care of my entire life just so she can fill it up with more 40s.

Actually I've been an organ donor and blood donor my entire adult life but this thread being in PRSI seemed to need that.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My incredibly huffy, knee-jerk, righteous indignation went into high gear there for a moment!:p:eek:

Nice one!!:D

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yep. All of my close relatives know what to do if I die prematurely: Weekend at Bernie's!!! (and after that, organ donation)

22. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Yes I am an organ donor. Have been registered since I became an adult. My wife used to work on a Children's ward with lots of leukemic kids. Some made it (through the gift of organ donation) and some didn't. Tough job.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Question: Do they have an age limit when one should not bother offering their organs? This is a legitimate question, because organs do deteriorate with age, and after awhile perhaps is not clinically practically to re-use a 50 years old organ for example?

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I guess you may as well just keep being a registered donor for as long as you live... I mean, if your organs are no good then they just won't use them. But if they are, or if someone decides a 50 yr old organ is better than no organ, they can be put to use :)

25. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Organ Donation

I don't believe so. I think (and I may be wrong) that they will use whatever they can depending on the situation, and part of those decisions are the deceased's physical condition. And if those 50 year old organs are what it takes to save someone's life, they may do so.

Actually, a quick Google search gives a definite answer.
    But if you aren't going to need them, regardless of age, that little box doesn't take much time/effort to check off.