Original Airport Card vs. 3rd Party 802.11g in a Pismo G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ProstheticHead, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

So here's my issue:

I've got an older Pismo that I use for the basic of the basic things such as surfing the internet and taking notes in class. Currently, I'm running an 802.11g/b Belkin card for wifi which requires me to run a wireless utility application in order to operate the card. My question is this, would I receive better overall system performance (ie: internet speed as well as finder speed) by using the original Airport card, or would there really be no difference (aside from the obvious speed ceiling of the older card)? Anyone have any experience with this?

And please, don't suggest that I buy an newer laptop. If I bought a newer laptop, I could do more things than just take notes, and hence I would. God knows I don't get distracted easily enough as it is... ;)

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

OS X will recognise some broadcom-based cards as if they were native airport cards, which might be a good move, but an original genuine airport card isn't going to offer you any benefits - it'll just feel glacially slow :p

3. ProstheticHead thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, thanks for the reassurance. :D

I'll have to look into it, currently I'm running a program through Railink for the RT2500 chip which is apparently what is inside my belkin card.