Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I despise Borat. Ali G was alright but Borat is just a joke. He is a copy and not a good one at that and is also highly insulting mainly to Jews which i despise.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
®îçhå®? said:
I despise Borat. Ali G was alright but Borat is just a joke. He is a copy and not a good one at that and is also highly insulting mainly to Jews which i despise.

How is he insulting jews? It is called satire. Everyone is entitled to his opinion. You can find it funny, tasteless, hilarious or childish. But saying he's insulting jews shows off your ignorance of not understanding the concept of irony.

It's not the jews he's insulting when he makes an antisemitic remark, it's the kazaks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not much a fan of this kind of comedy but I find Borat absolutely hilarious.

*on a PC. probably bd pselling

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Original Borat
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that guy aint Kazak. He's Turkish.

I live in TURKEY -town IZMIR ...( 4 million peoples - near the sea - old history)...
-Scroll all the way down.

For the record, I find Da Ali G Show freakin' hilarious, no matter how stupid it is. :D

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
KingYaba said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that guy aint Kazak. He's Turkish.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but he's Jewish. Hence the irony mentioned. Ali G, Borat, and Bruno are all portrayed by the same actor, a Jewish-Brit.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
MacNeXT said:
How is he insulting jews? It is called satire. Everyone is entitled to his opinion. You can find it funny, tasteless, hilarious or childish. But saying he's insulting jews shows off your ignorance of not understanding the concept of irony.

It's not the jews he's insulting when he makes an antisemitic remark, it's the kazaks.
Listen to other things that he has done. "Kill all the Jews, Kill all the dirty Jews" "throw the Jew down the well", it is insulting and distasteful.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
®îçhå®? said:
Listen to other things that he has done. "Kill all the Jews, Kill all the dirty Jews" "throw the Jew down the well", it is insulting and distasteful.

You realise Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish don't you?:D
Personally when you can't take the p*ss out of yourself is the the day you've lost the plot.
Each to his own I suppose.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
®îçhå®? said:

Dude, scroll up, he is Jewish.

I personally find a lot of the stuff he does very funny. For example, the bit where he was talking about keeping your wife in a cage had me splitting my sides :eek:

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Sacha Baron Cohen is a comedic GENIUS! I've been a big fan of his for a long time, and I'm glad he is going to be cashing in BIG with the release of his borat movie. For all you haters (of course there always has to be some), come on, get a sense of humor.

Retired
May 16, 2006
As a british-jew, I found the 'flush the jews down the well' scene the best of all Borat scenes. It did not make fun of kazaks (as some have implied), it actually made fun of the ignorant americans singing along. How on earth did some people not get that?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Sesshi said:
It's not 'getting it'. It's just that making fun of Americans is too easy :p

But then they think that he is making fun of Kazaks. I need a rant against Americans...but I don't think that this forum is the place to have it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't put my finger on what he's insulting, perhaps he's insulting our perception of what he should be. He's from Kazakhstan but frequently drops in Polish words (though they might share the same language?), his accent seems to be 'general' middle east along with his beliefs. The way I see it Borat is just an amalgamation of that part of the world and what we'd expect for someone there to be like.

Or you could just say it's **** funny :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_OB4K4_9_0 is very Borat like.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vFP-MktgOKU&mode=related&search= best of Borat :)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
For those of you that don't get it, I suggest you read a bit about him. How can anyone really believe singing about 'throwing jews down the well' in the 21st century is anything but satire?

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I find Cohen sporadically funny but his ability to stay in character all the time is impressive.
Agreed. I watched him on Jonathan Ross last night, and it occurred to me ...when does he snap out of being Borat and become himself again?

I guess this will be the end of Borat, now the secret's out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.