Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksandvig

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Anyone else notice significant speed improvements with 5.1 (especially safari)? Im ecstatic with the update! :)

Darkfox3889

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Yep!
I was desperate for the new iPad release simply because my first gen device had become so choppy and sluggish.
5.1 has made it feel like a new device in it's own right. Huge increase in responsiveness in almost every app!

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
I feel as if all my iOS devices have had their speed improved when they were upgraded to 5.1.

/insane

marksandvig

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
I feel as if all my iOS devices have had their speed improved when they were upgraded to 5.1.

/insane

I haven't noticed it as much in my IP4.. However, I suppose I never really found it sluggish to begin with. The iPad was almost unusable in safari before (crashes and extreme keyboard leg)

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
(crashes and extreme keyboard leg)

EXTREME!!!!
700476419.jpg

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
There's a local news web site that would reliably crash Safari on my iPad 1 on 5.0, now it loads ok with no crashes. Apple's lucky I already ordered my new iPad, or I'd be rethinking my purchase...

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I just got a like new original iPad for a steal on the new iPad release day, believe it or not. Before iOS 5.1 I had a fair amount of Safari crashes only in the few hours I had the product. After the update, I have not yet had a Safari crash, but I have had Facebook crash and a few games freshly downloaded from the App Store crash on first boot and never start. Also, a few minutes ago, the iPad wouldn't turn from landscape to portrait mode even after I rotated the device and toggled the rotation lock switch. I did a hard reboot and that issue resolved itself. Overall, things still seem a bit glitchy but bearable. If it gets worse I will seriously consider an iPad 2 or the new iPad.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
There's a local news web site that would reliably crash Safari on my iPad 1 on 5.0, now it loads ok with no crashes. Apple's lucky I already ordered my new iPad, or I'd be rethinking my purchase...

You can always cancel. I dare 'ya!

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Yes, my 1st gen too has sped up with 5.1 and THANK GOD!!!

It had gotten so sluggish that typing text was often 6 characters or more behind onscreen. It was VERY annoying.

Mike

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Much faster on the iPad2 too. Also, less crashing.

I think Safari is the most used feature on the iPad, glad they fixed it!

marksandvig

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Yes, my 1st gen too has sped up with 5.1 and THANK GOD!!!

It had gotten so sluggish that typing text was often 6 characters or more behind onscreen. It was VERY annoying.

Mike

Same for me in e-mail and even imessage. I'm glad im not the only one who noticed a significant improvement!

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I'm definitely seeing a big speed improvement too. It feels like they've done a bunch of optimisation on keeping the right stuff in memory.

I've also ordered a new iPad already but whoever I pass my old iPad on to is going to get something that works much more smoothly.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Does anyone else think they have altered the font smoothing as well? Reading web pages and iBooks just seems a little better to me.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
When my iPad starts to have crash/stability issues, doing a power off/on will make it stable for a week or so then the crashes come back.

I suspect those who believe 5.1 fixed stability issues might not want count your eggs yet. The power cycle done from the iOS update may have corrected your issues, not the update.

Also, there are reports of reduced battery life on iPad and iPhone from the 5.1 update. Just go browse the apple forums or Facebook.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I upgraded to 5.1 last night and Safari hasn't crashed yet. It was crashing every 10 minutes so this is an improvement. I haven't noticed much difference in speed but maybe I will after I use some more apps. Foreflight came to a standstill on 5.0, had to wait 5 seconds for every button I pressed.

marksandvig

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
When my iPad starts to have crash/stability issues, doing a power off/on will make it stable for a week or so then the crashes come back.

I suspect those who believe 5.1 fixed stability issues might not want count your eggs yet. The power cycle done from the iOS update may have corrected your issues, not the update.

Also, there are reports of reduced battery life on iPad and iPhone from the 5.1 update. Just go browse the apple forums or Facebook.

I don't think so.. Restarting never seemed to help me too much. Battery life does seem to be a little bit diminished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.