Original iPhone 2G 8GB still sealed - How do I tell if it's a refurb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethana, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ethana macrumors 6502a

I know someone who has an original iPhone 2G 8GB still sealed and may be willing to sell it. How do I tell if it's a refurb? Or if it's an early or late production model? The box shows all the old original icons and does not show the App Store or iTunes Store on it as an app.

I am thinking about buying it to collect (and leave it sealed) but I want to make sure it's something worth having.

By looking at the serial number on the back of the box, how do I tell if it's a refurb? What country was it sold in? When was it made? What information can I get from it?

No, I do not have the serial number at this time.

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

a dead giveaway for a refurb is 5K. I'm not too sure after that but that should help a little.

edit- if the serial on the phone matches the box, its the original.

3. ethana thread starter macrumors 6502a

I won't be opening the box if I buy it, that's for sure.

Might not be an answer to this, but does anyone know how much a sealed iPhone 2G might be worth? And may be worth in the future?

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Oh wait, if the phone is still sealed, how could it be a refurb?

5. ani23 macrumors 6502

I would say it's gonna b worth a nice pile anytime u wanna get rid of it. Around 500 would be a good price to grab it now. It's gonna be an iconic image.

6. svenn macrumors 6502

I didn't think refurbs came in retail packaging, but I could be wrong. You could check ebay for what people will pay.
    This is the original iphone box
    [​IMG]

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If its sealed in a brand new retail box, then its new. Refurbs ship in brown boxes, and I'm not even sure if they ever sold refurb iPhones, yet alone in new box.