Original iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TOMIMOT, Sep 19, 2012.

1. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

I know everyone on this forum is talking about the new iPhone 5 and the release of iOS 6 but amidst of all that, I got a quick question. I got onto my local class fields website for buying used electronics and since the release of the new phone everyone is selling their older phones. I have the opportunity to purchase the original iPhone 2G for a very low cost of 70$. Would it be worth anything to buy it? I mean it is the original iPhone and they are hard to come by nowadays. What do you guys think?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's a phone. The technology moves so quickly that today's toy is tomorrow's trash. Why would you be purchasing it? It's old and slow by modern standards.

4. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Maybe in 10's of years to come! certainly not now!

5. Sikaffy macrumors newbie

Sikaffy

I don't recommend buying it. I have an iPhone 2G and like 99% of the apps are now incompatible with it.

6. dannyhex macrumors regular

its a horribly slow piece of junk, my friend thought he snagged a bargain when he got one, but when he realized his phone was to slow sometimes to allow incoming calls to physically come in he thought twice and got a 4s. DO NOT buy the phone. You will be disappointed. Lowest you should get is a 3gs if you feel like having out of date hardware.

7. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

I wouldn't be buying it to use it, I currently use a 4S. I mean we've seen apples first Mac sell for hundreds of thousands. I know it's probably not gunna sell for thousands but it is the first iPhone, apples first break through phone, a milestone. In the future it's bound to be worth a couple hundred, no? That's what I'm asking. Do you guys think its a possibility in it gaining some sort of value because of it?

8. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Yes some sort of Value, apple first computer sold for so much because it was Apple's first ever product!

9. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Probably, but not in the foreseeable future. I would buy it, though. In 10 years when the phone landscape has dramatically changed, it'll be a nice vintage piece that could probably fetch a bit of $$$. Technology ages at a much faster rate than art/automobiles/collectibles.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'd buy it. I kind of regret selling some of my Apple contraptions, like my first gen iPod.

11. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

Ya and this is apples first phone, probably stupid thinking that a crappy 2G will be worth a couple hundred but just a thought I had coming across it. 70$ that I could throw towards the original iPhone. Who knows right?

12. kannesss macrumors 6502a

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's beside the point. It's cool to have a collection of iPhones in every design/form factor. Between my wife and myself, I keep one in every design/form factor (original, 3GS and 4S) and ebay the others.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With things like that its supply and demand. Then comes condition and if you have the original box and accessories.
    You have to think its not something that will be rare or hard to find since millions where sold worldwide.
    There's better ways to invest your money for future gains IMO.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Your definition of cool differs from mine. I see no value in collecting technology to which I have no sentimental attachment.

16. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

I couldn't agree more, if the seller has everything original I won't mind dishing out 70$ or even talking him into selling it for less. It's just that I rarely see original iPhones anymore, they're becoming more and more harder to find. A few brand new in box sold on eBay for 120$ and more LOL and that's nowadays

17. trevorlc macrumors member

It very well could be a worth while collectable, or by the time its collectable and would actually fetch a decent price tag. Apple may be long gone and no one will even care.

Think about it this way, yea those original macs fetched a great price but 10 years ago they probably would have been dumpster food to most, and 10 years from now they very well may be dumpster food again.

In the end its only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay for it.