Original iPhone backers got a 100$ credit when the prices were dropped, we get nothing?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iFanaddic, Mar 23, 2016.

1. iFanaddic, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

When Apple realized in 2007 that they had overpriced the iPhone they sent every early backer a 100$ credit. Same scenario a few years later and we get nothing?

I know fellow forum members will say that I accepted to pay this price, but lets all just agree to say this device definitely felt like a first generation and still does to some extent. I really want to back you up Apple! But please don't screw over the ones who give you those impressive "first day" sales numbers, we're the real deal.

Instead I really feel like a guinea pig, one who paid the premium price and still can't get ⅔ of his 3rd party apps running properly.

Hopefully Apple doesn't deceive us once more, I am hoping for decent upgrade program when  Watch 2 comes out.

Source:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/steve-jobs...ne-customers-re-price-drop-offers-100-credit/

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Really? Not gonna happen. Reality can be a b*tch...

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

:rolleyes:I know really just venting here. It's not really about money, it's about Apple owning up to their first generation disappointment.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple dropped the price by $200 only 2 months after the original iPhone came out. Now they dropped the price of the watch by $50 a full YEAR after it came out. You could have picked up an Apple Watch for $250 anytime in the last 6 months.

You're really reaching with your comparison.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---
    First generation disappointment? So you're saying that there is a pattern of first generation devices not living up to your expectations?

Maybe don't buy first gen devices then?

5. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

The iPhone price drop you mentioned was a $200 price cut within 2 months of its launch. Hence Jobs decided to refund $100 to early buyers. The Apple Watch was announced in September, 2014, went on sale in April, 2015 and the price was reduced in March, 2016 - 11 months after it enjoying a 50% market share worldwide.

6. iFanaddic, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Good point. Perhaps I am(reaching), but the original iPhone worked much better than my watch ever did, and probably ever will. In comparison, the iPhone was, for its time, marvellous piece of tech, that worked decently and did what it was meant to do.

 Watch feels half baked, update after update.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I remember buying an original iPod touch and having quite a few issues with iPhone OS 1.1. They were mostly gone by the time iPhone OS 2.1. I don't know how this compares to the current state of the Apple Watch. I will admit that I haven't bought an Apple Watch because I'm waiting for the second or third gen device.

8. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I read these forums and have to just shake my head and wonder about some people. Anyway, I absolutely love my AW so no so-called first gen disappointment here! It does everything I expected it to do and more. Are a few apps a little laggy? Yes, but there are also apps that are STILL laggy on my iPhone and it's been out a lot longer. My only complaint about the AW is that I bought it in this beautiful rose gold color and can't get bands with matching hardware, but I guess on that one we could say first world problems....

9. dwfaust, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It just reeks of an attitude of entitlement. Even WalMart will only price match current price reductions within 30 days of the original transaction. When you bought the original iPhone or the original Watch, you agreed to pay the asking price. You gladly forked over the cash. Now, 12-18 months later, you think it was a bad deal and want a refund? Good luck with that.

Jobs did a solid to purchasers of the original iPhone, but neither was it an admission of anything, nor was it intended to set a precedent for future entitlement refunds.

Finally, when someone says "it's not about the money", you can bet the ranch that it's ultimately about the money.

10. JayLenochiniMac, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They dropped the price of the original iPhone by $200 after 2 months.

$50 after nearly a year for the low-end Sport is nothing, especially considering they normally come out with the new iteration at the one-year mark and drop prices on the previous generation.

11. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

This. OP wasn't complaining about the price before Monday, and if they hadn't dropped the price he still wouldn't be complaining. Look at it this way, Apple is trying to goose sales to get people on board who might think twice about buying hardware that is a year old at this point. We've all easily gotten $50 worth of value out of our watches in the last 11 months.

And don't say we're all "backers". This isn't Kickstarter.

12. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Ha! The original iPod touch you couldn't even add anything to your calendar - it was purely a calendar - no appointments. But, we knew good things were coming and that original iPod still provides entertainment as my car iPod.

Same goes for the Apple Watch. Being an early adopter means that you have to wait while features roll out. It just does. I bought the Apple Watch fully expecting this and have been very pleased with my purchase. If Apple gave us some money back, I'd take it happily, of course, but I don't feel like I'm owed that.

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I'm the queen of bargain shopping and getting a deal... but even I can't gripe about a $50 price drop a FULL YEAR later!

14. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I hope the folks complaining about this $50 price drop never buy a car. Their heads would explode if they saw the dealer advertising a $5,000 incentive for some fill-in-the-blank holiday.

15. chuyn macrumors 6502

You really don't sound happy with your watch. More unhappy than getting $50 back could compensate for. That's 10% off the Canadian prices. Saving the tax (pretty much) would make you happy with your watch?

16. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Lol $50 is $50 but instead of complaining about it look at it like this, they probably just dropped the price $50 because they are about to release the Apple Watch 2. I don't hear anyone complaining about the fact that at the end of the year the iPhone they bought dropped $100. The Apple Watch 2 is due for a renew in April. Give it a rest, should have checked the buyer's guide.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How come you didn't throw a fit and start a thread when Best Buy had the $100 off sales?

18. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

What was the iPhone meant to do though? What is the watch meant to do?

It sounds like you're having second thoughts. Perhaps you were expecting something revolutionary? Is it unusual for you to spend this much on a watch?

Edit: I went back and read your first post. 2/3 of your 3rd party apps are not working? ALL of mine are. Have you tried restoring to factory?

Not going to happen in April, champ. Sorry.

19. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Maybe, maybe not, but the fact still stands that the original Apple Watch has been out for 11 months and is due for a refresh shortly I'd say no later than WWDC, especially since the battery life is only good for two years worth of everyday charging. Also why I think Apple lost their mind with trying to charge $10,000 for a gold Apple watch but that's for a different thread.

20. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502

He is a troll , drama queen combined. Should be banned for starting such a non sense thread.

21. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I really think they'll allow you to replace the battery.

22. mildocjr macrumors 65816

It has yet to be seen with any of their other devices (that did not have a defective battery)

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You asked the inhabitants of MacRumors to agree on something? You new here, or something? :D

I disagree on the "first gen" thing? I had half-a-dozen different wearables before the Watch. None of them stayed on my wrist more than 4-5 weeks. The watch has been there since launch. Admittedly, I don't try to use every "feature", but what I do use is quite polished.

24. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Agreed, the watch was well thought up and if Apple sticks with their current release ways, the second and fourth gen watches are going to be much more polished than the first and third gen watches.

25. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

You're talking about this like it's just another Apple device though. You said it yourself, $10,000 models. Those are just going to become useless once the batteries give? No way, Jose.