Original iPhone iOS upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bilalo, May 1, 2013.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello
    I got an original iphone today, the one before 3GS and i was wonderin how to upgrade it to the new IOS. Even if i can't get ios 6.0 i want atleast ios 4.3 so apps such as viber and skype and whatsapp work. Please tell me what i can upgrade to and what is recomended

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The latest you can run on an original iPhone is 3.1.3. To run iOS 4, I'm sorry to say that you'll need newer hardware.

Edit: Wait, original or 3G? You can run up to 4.2.1 on a 3G.

3. Bilalo, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure it doesn't say but it's 3.1.3

I put it on the laptop it says i can upgrade to 4.2, will that allow me to upgrade to 4.3?

4. Nermal, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If iTunes is letting you upgrade then it's a 3G. You'll be able to take it to 4.2.1.

5. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

So i still can't get 4.3? Which is what i want for apps to work on it

6. Nyy8 macrumors 6502

Nyy8

No, You'll need a 3GS, which can oddly enough go up to iOS 6.1.3 (latest)

7. ben824 macrumors regular

The iPhone original has an aluminum silver back with a black plastic bottom portion. The iPhone 3G has an all plastic all black back. The 3GS and 3G look identical but the hardware is different. The 3G can only upgrade to 4.2.1 but is nearly worthless as the operating system is too much for the hardware which is why it was dropped from upgrading to 4.3. If you want to upgrade to 4.3-6.3 then you need to get the 3GS. The 3GS is still somewhat slow and glitchy on 6.3 but nothing compared to the 3G on 4.2.1.

Your 3G, assuming that is the right one going by what iTunes says it can upgrade to, is old and obsolete hardware and not going to work with most apps at this stage. Trying to use an iPhone 3G today is like trying to use a computer running Windows 98.