Original Iphone mobileme/Icloud account problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PPFee, Dec 5, 2011.

1. PPFee macrumors 6502

Hi, and thanks in advance for all the help. I just put my original iphone on another line after getting the 4s on mine. I have migrated my mobileme.com account over to icloud and have the 20gb plan. When setting up the iphone and trying to add my mobileme account it says that the username or password is incorrect, after clicking save again it warns it may not be able to recieve messages and goes on to populate the mail settings and inboxes. When checking for mail it first says cannot connect to the smtp.me.com server and then says that the username or password for the account is incorrect. Is it possible that the server settings are populating wrong or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm an original MM member who had to do this transfer. Mine was done smoothly and I thought at that busy time something may go wrong. All it does is completely moves it to iCloud. Now, when you say you're trying to login, are you doing that on your phone or on the computer? If you can login via the webpage (iCloud.com) with your user/pass then some settings just got messed up in the iCloud portion of the iPhone. You can completely delete it, not just logout (via settings) but complete deletion through "mail, ..." settings.

If that doesn't work, then I don't know. If your email (@me) works, that's your username just figure out your password.

3. PPFee thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi and thanks for the reply. Im trying to login on the iPhone 2g mail app. When adding the MobileMe account (because its IOS 3.1.3 theres no option to add an iCloud account) it gives me either an SSL error or username and password error. I know the username and password are correct because i can log in to the website, Idisk app, and its the same username and password i use in os x's mail app. Anyone know if the server and server settings remained the same after iclouds debut. I don't know what else could be wrong.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

The server settings have changed...should be the same except iCloud.com instead of me.com in all the urls, but I'm not sure. Perhaps doing it manually with the iCloud domain instead would work

To sum it up...the address is @me.com, but the website and domains are iCloud.com

5. PPFee thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting, so if you look up server settings on a mail app on os x windows or IOS it shows mail.icloud.com not mail.me.com ? My laptop and iPhone 4s that are still receiving mail properly still show a mail.me.com server. Again, thanks for any and all input.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Ahhh, okay! I totally misread what you were saying.

I have done this before. I moved it on my 4 before I had my 4S. And my mom's 3GS has this also. This *may* work for you; go to "mail, settings,...">>>"MobileMe account" and do the click throughs until you get to the "advanced" at the bottom of the screen. At this point, I'm not really sure what your outgoing server says. It may say " MobileMe SMTP Server" That won't tell you anything specific but at the bottom you can add your own. Scroll/Look down and try adding this "p99-imap.me.com" in the SMTP area

7. PPFee thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot, Just input the new settings and power cycling the phone now. Fingers crossed.

----------

Damn. Returning the error:
    Cannot Get Mail
    The user name or password for "xxxxx@me.com" is incorrect. Is there even a way to change incoming server settings. I see the incoming server settings but not a place that shows the actual incoming server/Host name. In the advanced settings under incoming settings it has use SSL toggled to on. Authentication set to Password. Imap path prefix is Blank ( is that correct) and server port( for incoming)is 993. Same exact settings for outgoing except the server port is 587.

----------

The only possible anomaly for my account i could think of was that its password doesn't meet the requirements for a new iclouds account passwords because its an older account, instead of changing it i just created a new iCloud account on my mac and when adding that account to the iPhone it returns the same server or username password errors. Im at a complete loss, completely clueless. :confused:

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hmm.. thought that would work, that's the setting that I use and also my MBP.

Let me try and understand your situation better so I can see another approach. Basically, you have completely migrated you MobileMe account to iCloud. MobileMe doesn't exist anymore, except for the @me for your email. You want to add this account to your original, 2G iPhone? Is that correct?