Original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by someone28624, Aug 9, 2012.

1. someone28624, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I volunteered as a camp nurse for a few days. There I could only get the E network on my iPhone. Despite having full bars, it was nearly impossible to do anything with it due to slowness. I know the original iPhone only had E, no 3G. Despite this, it was hailed as the best Internet phones of its day. What were your experiences like with the original iPhone if you had one? Was the Internet usable?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It was usable but slow.
    Kinda like the old days with a 56K dialup modem on AOL or netzero:)
    But also depends on your local area, not all places get the same speeds.

3. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I used to stream Pandora on Edge on my iPhone 3G before ATT upgraded the towers around me. My area seemed like one of the last to get 3G so I basically had an edge only iPhone unless I was traveling to bigger cities. Loading text only sites wasn't bad but it was definitely slow compared to 3G.
    I'm not even sure that the Edge networks are even a concern for ATT anymore.

As far as being hailed as the best internet phone, I'm sure that most people were using wifi to do heavy usage tasks until the networks matured to the point we are at now. I know I did.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Back then pages didn't seem too graphics heavy either. They were a little simpler than what we have now, that's for sure.

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I never had an original iPhone, but had an iPhone 3G - we only had an EDGE network until last year. When I first got iPhone 3G, the EDGE network was usable, even in the middle of nowhere, about 10-15k/s, which was over 4x faster than my parents' dialup internet at the time. Then as soon as other people starting buying iPhones, it diminished to 3k/s. It was usable, until the network got congested.

6. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Edge was useable, because at the time it was the fastest thing available then 3G came out

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

It was also more usable back then because AT&T actually maintained their Edge network pretty regularly. They also turned up the speed a little bit just before the launch of the iPhone. A few news sites reported that other Edge smartphones got a little faster weeks before the iPhone launched.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

There was no application store and you couldn't send MMS pictures. No mobile Pandora. YouTube was a low video quality site[by todays standards] and did not have an 'HD' content explosion until well after the iPhone 3G came to be. Most mainstream websites were also designed to be light in digital footprint.

The Enhanced Data Rate Network is a slow protocol, but in '07 the smartphone era was a different place.

9. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

It could be slow at times but nothing was slower than the Treo 650 that I had on Sprint before I bought the original iPhone.

10. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know this is an old thread, but I was out in EDGE territory again today and decided to document just how bad it is.

Attached Files:

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

12. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't even load Google.com at 0.02mbps. And back then was 2007. Not exactly text only.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

3G was available prior to the original iPhone being released. The original iPhone only being 2G was a major complaint when 3G was already available from some carriers.

14. mark.1 macrumors newbie

iPhone is such a great achievement by the owners of it. They have made such a good phone with every facility in it. iPhone is a expensive phone and a huge investment must be made in this project that is why the owners have made such a great phone. This practice shows us more investment more return. Today the iPhone owners are enjoying huge return as this phone has become very successful all over the world.

15. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

In Germany tmobile offered EDGE that went to 200kb/s which was very usable at that time.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure I understand the question, you can't really compare current tech and speeds to old tech and speeds like somehow something 5 years old should have been utilizing current tech to make it faster. Yes, it was slower, just like everything used to be slower.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

ummm, no

18. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

lol

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The speed was a pain but only for maps that took a lifetime to load. What did annoy me was the design change for the 3G to make it more affordable as Steve said in the keynote! I was gutted.

20. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My question was whether it was usable at all, since the iPhone was hailed as an excellent internet phone, yet I find EDGE totally unusable for anything.

21. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Seems like people were pretty satisfied with it back when it was the only data network available for iPhones:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=394344

22. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

He was joking, chief.

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Considering how many young children frequent this forum...I can't assume that.

24. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

haha touche...

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yes there is some gems on that thread.