Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Performa 5400/180 (UK only)

• The 'famous' black Mac
• Built-in TV tuner
• Not retailed in the U.S.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_5400_180.html

A friend of mine had a near mint one which he was holding onto as a collectors item. Unfortunately, it was irreparably damaged in a flood a few days ago.

For insurance claim purposes, he needs a good (if not exact) idea of what the original retail price was. I've searched high and low on Google, trying all sorts of dead-end avenues... but no luck.

It's easy to find current 2nd-hand sale prices (eBay etc.) but that's no help here...

Any suggestions on how to go about finding this obscure piece of info?

Thanks... BV

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
From Macworld UK July 1997:
5400/180 16MB/2.0GB/8xCD/28.8 mdm £ 1,095.

The 5500 was introduced a few months before this and that would have influenced the 5400 pricing. (The 5500/225 costed then £ 1,649).

They can be bought secondhand here (in norway) for about £ 100.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
mikeyfern said:
according to http://www.apple-history.com, that model was called the 5420. Hope that bit of info might help your search.

According to the 15-years-of-using-Macs-friend who owns the machine and read the model number out to me over the phone... I think apple-history.com may need some revisionism...

:)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
cluthz said:
From Macworld UK July 1997:
5400/180 16MB/2.0GB/8xCD/28.8 mdm £ 1,095.

The 5500 was introduced a few months before this and that would have influenced the 5400 pricing. (The 5500/225 costed then £ 1,649).

They can be bought secondhand here (in norway) for about £ 100.

Thank-you!

Any links?

Edit: Phew! A bit pricy...

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Blue Velvet said:
According to the 15-years-of-using-Macs-friend who owns the machine and read the model number out to me over the phone... I think apple-history.com may need some revisionism...

:)

Yes, i've got a friend with a black Power Mac 5400/180.
Funny apple used both performa and powermac names on these machines.
The consumer machines was called Performa and the EDU machines was called Power Mac, even if it was the same machines..
(apple abadoned the performa name after these machines).

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Blue Velvet said:

The xxxx/1800 part is definitely wrong. Those Macs topped out at 180 MHz. The second numbers indicated the processor speed. A four digit model number indicated that it was a PowerPC-based Machine while a three-digit model number indicated it was a 68k machine.

There are endless stories of people swearing up and down that they have a Performa 650 instead of 560, bringing in the Monitor to fix the "computer" and wondering why their printer isn't printing even though they plugged it in (to the wall outlet, not the computer).

That is why I refuse to do tech support over the phone, for anyone. Not only do you not get paid for it, but often times the real problem is far removed from the vague/confused description given over the phone.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Sayer said:
The xxxx/1800 part is definitely wrong. Those Macs topped out at 180 MHz. The second numbers indicated the processor speed. A four digit model number indicated that it was a PowerPC-based Machine while a three-digit model number indicated it was a 68k machine.

There are endless stories of people swearing up and down that they have a Performa 650 instead of 560, bringing in the Monitor to fix the "computer" and wondering why their printer isn't printing even though they plugged it in (to the wall outlet, not the computer).

That is why I refuse to do tech support over the phone, for anyone. Not only do you not get paid for it, but often times the real problem is far removed from the vague/confused description given over the phone.

You're absolutely right. My mistake (not my friends).
Typo in thread title and first line (too many zeroes).
Should have read 5400/180...

Have fixed it... apologies & thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.