OS 9, G5's in 2003, and Apple Engineers

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The announcements at Apple Expo Paris brought to light previously-rumored information about future motherboards not being allowed to boot Mac OS 9.

The first of this rumor, however, came from an unlikely source... a reader report of an discussion by an Apple engineer back in June:

the new models of motherboards do not support os 9, it is thus finished definitively on the next machines. (French Translation)

This was before Mac World Expo NY and the opening of the Soho store - where readers reported that Jobs hinted at the same (OS X-only next year). This rumor was later repeated in August by eWeek.

The original rumor, however, could be of some interest, if it contains other truths. Unfortunately, the remainder is a bit disjointed and inconsistent. The most notable is the following about the G5, which pegs it at late 2003.

G5 will not even be available until the end of 2003, on the other hand it really exists and runs reliably. The manufacturing is, however, not very reliable in terms of loss and is too expensive for the moment.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
the G5 will never actually be released as a unit, rather it is more of a omnipotent spirit that will float around and enhance all mac hardware :D :D

but really, if they're already a proto now, how do they intend to update the proto as the year progresses?

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Ah I got the time.
I'll be sticking around with my G4 450 for another year. No problem. :)
At least I will have a decent upgrade. (I hope)

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Re: OS 9, G5's in 2003, and Apple Engineers

the new models of motherboards do not support os 9, it is thus finished definitively on the next machines.
Just a fine point: It's not the motherboard that is to support the OS, it's vice versa.

Any Mac OS had to be upgraded to support new hardware. (Remember the system enablers back in the stone age?) There simply will be no upgrade to OS 9 to support the new boards.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Great

So we still might have to wait almost another year to get the kind of performance of what the high end PC chips have today? Because I don't think the chips are so advance that they would beat the 4ghz chips Intel might have by then. Hope we at least get hyper transport before Wintels do. I also hope we get a new case design but still keep some sort of door on it. And I also hope that I don't blow my money on anything but a G5, next January's Macs are already tempting me and those still might be G4's.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: G5 clock speed

Originally posted by gaomay
Any word on clockspeed or instructions per cycle or even better real-world performance?
Wishful thinking mate, if Arn knew that I think he'd be telling us...

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
G5 mod

Slightly off the topic, sorry, I've just taken my trusty G3-333MT to bits and modded the case so it's beautiful and white like the new iMacs... that the only 'next generation' mac I'll be seeing for a while if the G5 continues like this!!

*H*

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Re: G5 mod

Originally posted by gotohamish
Slightly off the topic, sorry, I've just taken my trusty G3-333MT to bits and modded the case so it's beautiful and white like the new iMacs... that the only 'next generation' mac I'll be seeing for a while if the G5 continues like this!!

*H*

got any pics?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There truly are so many conflicting reports on what's happening with the G5 or not happening. Going to OSX raises one question for me - is it a philosophical reason (to push software developers to get with the game plan) or one that that is based in OS9 not being able to run on a new mobo design?

D

kenohki

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
There truly are so many conflicting reports on what's happening with the G5 or not happening. Going to OSX raises one question for me - is it a philosophical reason (to push software developers to get with the game plan) or one that that is based in OS9 not being able to run on a new mobo design?

D
It's mostly to push developers and users to migrate to OS X. They want a large OS X installed base so that developers can get enough sales of OS X-only products to justify development for that platform.

I would also think too that Apple would like to start having developers use the Cocoa APIs and methodology for application development a little more. Some rather large applications that are primarily written with Carbon code would be difficult to port over to Cocoa. But for new apps, Cocoa tends (IMHO) to provide a more rapid development environment than Carbon (although a steeper learning curve for those not used to totally OO programming).

Unfortunately, they can't really push Cocoa hard until they get everyone off of OS 9 (which doesn't support it). And over the very long term, I'm sure they'd probably like to see Carbon go away after they're securely migrated to OS X. It's easier logistically to only have to support one API set.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: OS 9, G5's in 2003, and Apple Engineers

Originally posted by arn

G5 will not even be available until the end of 2003, on the other hand it really exists and runs reliably. The manufacturing is, however, not very reliable in terms of loss and is too expensive for the moment.
So who is this mystery manufacturer? IBM? any guesses...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: Great

Originally posted by reyesmac
So we still might have to wait almost another year to get the kind of performance of what the high end PC chips have today? Because I don't think the chips are so advance that they would beat the 4ghz chips Intel might have by then.
Apple got behind FOR EVER!!!

Apple is trying so hard to push every body to the new OSX that offer less than half the options of OS9. People does not want to migrate just because do not feel better with OSX just because it is not better!!!

OSX is the equivalent of running 8.1 today.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Re: G5 mod

Originally posted by rugby

got any pics?
Okay, he's a pic! It was a bit of a rush job, but fun to do. I managed to pop the little retro apple out so I could keep it without painting over. Where it once said 'PowerMacintoshG3' it now has a reflective silver panel. The rest of the machine is "iMac" white. Beautiful. Apologies for putting this in this thread, I wih I could open my own!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Great

Originally posted by mymemory

Apple is trying so hard to push every body to the new OSX that offer less than half the options of OS9. People does not want to migrate just because do not feel better with OSX just because it is not better!!!

Sorry couldn't quite read that.... could you go alittle bigger next time.... :rolleyes:

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001

if you say so...:rolleyes:

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ

Apple is trying so hard to push every body to the new OSX that offer less than half the options of OS9. !!!
What utter crap. OS X is a fantastic OS. It is THE most valuable asset that apple is bringing to the table right now. If you love OS 9 so much then by all means USE IT FOREVER and just shut the f*** up. The machines that exist today are plenty fast running OS 9. Enjoy!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am SO sick of hearing about the G5. How many years has it been since we first heard about it? Two? Three? Haven't we been hearing about test yields of G5 chips for at least 24 months? This has got to be one of the slowest processor development cycles ever. I don't care that somebody says "it does exist". As long as it's not in production it's just vaporware. Late 2003 is far, far too long to wait. I'm buying my PowerMac now, so I'll be set for years. But I'm one of the faithful. What Apple needs is windows users to switch and they'll never, ever get them if they can't close this gap. Like now. Within 6 months.

dh

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: G5 mod

Originally posted by gotohamish
Apologies for putting this in this thread, I wih I could open my own!
You should be able to start your own thread. Go do it in the General Discussion forum, and if you have problems, let arn know.

D

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
behind

somebody mentioned hypertransport, well, pcs already have that, check amd, we all yelled about ddr, when pcs already had it for over a year, not only that, the ddr on a pc is so far ahead of apple it's not even in contention. any technology we could ask for for the next revision of the mac, the pc will already have, just have to hang onto a superior os, if you can even call it that now.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: behind

Originally posted by mozez
somebody mentioned hypertransport, well, pcs already have that, check amd, we all yelled about ddr, when pcs already had it for over a year, not only that, the ddr on a pc is so far ahead of apple it's not even in contention. any technology we could ask for for the next revision of the mac, the pc will already have, just have to hang onto a superior os, if you can even call it that now.
Something tells me you're a 'the glass is half empty kind of guy'..... :rolleyes: :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Great

Originally posted by dhdave
What utter crap. OS X is a fantastic OS. It is THE most valuable asset that apple is bringing to the table right now. If you love OS 9 so much then by all means USE IT FOREVER and just shut the f*** up.
And so say all of us, and so say all of us, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow.... etc etc.... :p

I totally agree by the way..... :D

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Re: Re: Re: G5 mod

Originally posted by dukestreet

You should be able to start your own thread. Go do it in the General Discussion forum, and if you have problems, let arn know.

D
Thanks - I've open a new thread for my beige G3 case mod . Thanks for the help!:D

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002

Its in big bold letters so it must be true..... :rolleyes:

OS 9 is better how? Maybe if you don't mind IE bringing down your whole system when it quits then OS 9 is better....

OS X has many more features than 9, its more stable, and whether your willing to admit it or not, its a more modern looking and feeling OS. Its very intuitive and a pleasure to use. Its speed is not quite where 9 is yet(unless maybe you have a new dual gig machine) but as the hardware progresses and code gets optimized it will be as fast if not faster than OS 9.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Stupid Rumor

This rumor makes no sense to me unless Moto is the maker of the G5, and even then it doesn't make much sense.

It would be a new level of sloppiness if either IBM or Moto designed an entire chip but couldn't produce enough to launch it. I very much doubt that is the case. Sounds to me more like desperation: "no, we're not really behind!" Actually, we know this couldn't be IBM because they are perfectly capable of making even huge chips like the Power4, so in order to believe this rumor, not only does Moto need to be the company that made the G5, but they had to have completed the design a long time ago (many months) only to find that they had neglected to consider wether or not they could actually make it. Except for limited quantities that they are making through, presumably, magic.

Again, I repeat, this rumor makes no sense.