Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illarustia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, version 10.6.4 Mac OS X. I need to update my so I clicked "software update" and finished updating everything fine. When I had to restart, it tries to restart but I am left on a screen which is the purple aurora borealis (the standard mac background. first image if you google "mac background"). My mouse is also visible on screen and I can move it around. I have waited and nothing happens.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, version 10.6.4 Mac OS X. I need to update my so I clicked "software update" and finished updating everything fine. When I had to restart, it tries to restart but I am left on a screen which is the purple aurora borealis (the standard mac background. first image if you google "mac background"). My mouse is also visible on screen and I can move it around. I have waited and nothing happens.

Issue with the combo update. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds making sure the computer FULLY shuts down.

Fire it back up. Run the OS update software and uncheck the list of updates. Run each update on its own instead all at once. Worked for me back in the day when I encountered this.

illarustia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Issue with the combo update. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds making sure the computer FULLY shuts down.

Fire it back up. Run the OS update software and uncheck the list of updates. Run each update on its own instead all at once. Worked for me back in the day when I encountered this.
[doublepost=1477032152][/doublepost]Thank you! I hope this works. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.