Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002
Does anyone have any specific details on when OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) will be released? I know its going to be sometime late this summer, but I would like to know when it will start shipping on the iMacs.

macfanatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002
iChat and new address book

From what I've heard, OS X 10.2 is going to feature iChat (AOL compatible instant messenger) and enhancements to the Address Book and the Finder.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
We might see 10.2 at MWNY, but then again, July is not late summer. To me, late summer could be September. We will just have to wait and see.

I would be inclined to think that 10.1.5 will be out at/by MWNY.

You can count on Apple shipping systems using 10.2 as soon as they announce it as being released. Don't count on systems you don't buy from Apple as having it for a while after that though. Mainly because they will be clearing out whatever stock they have first. If new systems are announced at the same time as 10.2 is released, then those systems will most likely ship with it (98% chance). This is all based on what Apple has done in the past. I hope that we get some systems at work after 10.2 comes out, so that I don't have to go out and purchase the update (unless it will be available for download).

Again, only time and Apple can tell, and neither is talking specifics.

macfanatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002

Attachments

• joyofmacs.gif
    joyofmacs.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,914

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
I'm running Jaguar...

If anyone has questions or anything I'll be glad to answer them in this forum. Just post below and I'll reply. iChat is great looking and should be wonderful, but right now its the most buggy application I've ever seen. Address book and Mail are VERY professional and at the same time user friendly. Quicktime 6 plays Divx...well...not much differently than 5, although I still have some more tests to run. It does load in less than 2 bounces, first time. I presume this has to do with parts of it being loaded into mem. on system startup (something Windows does to make IE appear faster at startup). BTW I'm running it on a 500Mhz iBook with 384mb RAM. It's much snappier than 10.1.X but still not as fast as I would hope. Hopefully just my computer and not the OS. Considering Steve called it a Pre-Alpha, it's pretty good. They've got about 3 months from now to get it GM and start packing it up to ship in boxes. This sounds like enough time to perfect all the code (iChat especially).

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
new os speeds

bradcoe:

as 10.2 dev cannot be installed as an upgrade from 10.1, it installs everything newly -- as with any system a new os that hasnt been used is faster...

for instance -- if i were to install 10.1 on another drive or partition, without any apps or anything, it would undoubtedly run faster than my already existing 10.1 system, because os the reasons i stated above

this may be causing your small speed increase

i may be wrong, but i have re-partitioned my drives and installed os x several times, and this seems to be the case...

but so far, 10.2 is looking great!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I am pretty sure that Jaguar will have numerous improvements, since I read this one forum about someone, who had the Jaguar beta on a G3. That person said that his/her iBook ran fast, or something like that. I cannot wait.

IMPORTANT: About my previous post, Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) MIGHT be released at New York in July. I assumed that Arn had an official word, but it is unofficial. Just so there is any confusion.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Excellente- OItailian for excellwent- I'm referring to the third link to 10.2 screenshots, it has easy to understand-even if I only learnt Italian. 10.2-MacWord NEW YORK-New York, New York-how are you recovering after Sept. 11 (I would that Uncle ABC would come out prsent the eleventh Gold Logie and Oscar to Steve Jobs in evelen years time-when Apple relase OS 11.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Just the Speed, Sir

Bradcoe:

Does Jaguar seem to run faster in your opinion? You've mentioned that it does seem to run faster, but I'd like some specifics. In particular, do your programs start up faster? Can you multitask without the ugly beachball popping up? Do your programs run faster than they were under 10.1?

Thanks.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Excellente is Spanish, not Italian...
Eccellente is the Italian... ;)

As far as the speed of a newly installed OS, it is much faster when you first install it before adding lots of programs. I was confused when I put OS X on my iPod as a backup just in case. It was much faster than the 10.1.x I was used to. At first I was thinking, maybe the drive in the iPod was much faster than the PowerBook's, but i eventually figured out it was the lack of programs.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I have taken at least three years of Spanish, and the correct spelling is 'excelente'. The double L sounds like a "Y".

Here is one for you:
¿Por qué no estamos hablando de la revisión de Mac OS X? Hay muchas cosas para decir sobre "Jaguar". Alguienes personas dicen que OS X va a ser a Nueva York el 15 de Julio. :D

La topica de español no es tanto importante como la topica de Mac OS X y "Jaguar".

In other words: WTH are you guys talking about languages for? Jaguar is more important.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
hey

can one of you guys with 10.2 installed tell me whether QT6 can play divx as well as 'The Playa" or WMP does running on Windows or is the support pretty much as crappy as that of Qt5?

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
Re: everything

I have also installed and reinstalled OS X (10.0, 10.1, & Jaguar). Jaguar is hands down faster at virtually everything. Somethings are still equal to its predecessor, but many things are quicker. Multi-tasking is greatly improved. I love the new spinning cursor, but I hardly see it. Oh and BTW, I reformated and put 10.1 back on because I just didn't feel right running Jaguar since I didn't recieve it directly from Apple. I can still answer questions about it. Oh an another thing. I did get this WEIRD error type thing (I tried as hard as I could to crash it). It wasn't a normal kernel panic, but I think it was a kernel panic anyway. The whole screen had a grainy gray color cover it and a low quality image covering about 800x600 of the 1024x768 screen came up. The image was white with text on it. The text read "Your computer needs to be restarted. Hold the power button down for a few seconds" (I might be off a little, but that was the jist of it). I have a feeling apple is trying to make kernel panics more user friendly. Just a guess at it. If anyone else has seen this, let me know.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Good, good

Well, I am certainly heartened to hear that programs will run faster under Jaguar. One of the disappointments in switching to a Mac running OS X was that things simply ran slower compared to my old PC when I was multitasking. In any case, I can't wait to upgrade to Jaguar and speed my TiBook up!

hobie

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
far, far away
well, to answer question here:
yes, jaguar is faster and snappier. And yes, there are a lot of improvements. But the main thing i'm happy about is that battery time is now longer!!! :) The energy saver options now are similar to those in OS9, even the harddisk will be put to sleep when possible. After all, I have a time improvement of about one hour compared to 10.1.4 (which is crappy compared to OS9 with about 4.5 hours battery time). However, do any of you guys get a battery time of ~3 hours at normal use and more than 4 hours at light use with an iBook? Now it goes again :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Jaguar Release Date

I hope its soon, Mac OS X really needs some updating.

iJon

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
hey.. ive got 10.2 and all and ive looked through it very thoroughly and am acquainted with its features... but i cant seem to find inkwell...

no ones mentioned much about it in the forums... so i assume it didnt come loaded on the wwdc discs... or am i missing something?

most developers probably wouldnt need to see inkwell yet... i mean, i guess certain software could take advantage of it, but they probably wouldnt jus put it on the discs and have developers "jus figure it out"...

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
yes inkwell is not included. i would guess it wasnt ready.

someone mentioned you can install jaguar as an update. this is wrong. you can install it as an update and i did just see how it worked.

i started a thread awhile back discussing the features in 10.2 you can find it here
if you want to discuss those issues. seemed like most people just hadnt installed it yet.

as far as speed comparisons, most stuff is faster. and cpu load is down (even on a machine from 1999, see the quoted thread for details). but some things are slower (often much slower. i dont believe this is a reflection of the speed increase we expect to see but a reflection of the BETA nature of jaguar.

based on the "late summer" statement, and the level of development of the jaguar build i would have to guess that we will not see a release at MWNY (July is most certainly NOT late summer) but will likley see it in auguest or sepetember (in late summer). This would also allow the release to coincide with the death of the apple-m$ contract (august) which could mean new browser (Netscape), and would provide apple with time to get things working (as it seems a functional os is some months away) and finish the new apps (iChat, inkwell).

on the netscape issue. apple agreeing to bundle netscape with os10.2 could have been the reason aol allowed apple access (via iChat) to the AIM network. these two are definitely getting into bed together and although i dont like aol/timewarner they might just be the only ally stronger than ms that apple could align itself with.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Okay guys, technically it's Jaguar, not 10.2. Apple hasn't mentioned 10.2 at all, and the developer preview doesn't mention 10.2 that I'm aware of. That's fairly unusual, so I doubt if it were just 10.2 they'd completely avoid the version number...

neilt

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Speed and Name

The speed of many things is quite a bit faster.
ie, on my Ti 400 in 10.1.4 the terminal could take up to 8 bounces to launch.
in Jaguar it is down to just over 2.

As to the name, my guess is it will be 10.5 not 10.2. In the about this mac box it says Pre-release. Mine is build 6c35.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.