OS X 10.3.7 Development Underway?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider reports that less than two weeks after 10.3.6 was released, Apple is already circulating internal builds of 10.3.7. Reportedly to be released before year's end, with developers receiving their first builds within the next few weeks.
While details surrounding these very early builds are scant, sources say Mac OS X 10.3.7 will deliver enhancements to FireWire Audio, OpenGL, CoreGraphics, Multicast DNS, mLAN Audio, CoreFoundation, and AppKit.

The update is also said to include revisions to the Mach Kernel, PDF and PostScript rendering, ATI Radeon graphics drivers (8500, 9700), and Nvidia GeForce graphics drivers (3, 2MX, FX).

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Looks like an important update.

We all love our graphics updates 'OpenGL, CoreGraphics... ATI Radeon graphics drivers,and Nvidia GeForce graphics drivers'

Good good.

Always love these update rumors! :D

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
hopefully it will improve Fps in game. Also what happens if they get to 10.3.9 will the next one be 10.3.10 and then 10.3.11? that would be weird

blufire

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
"Before year's end?" Does that mean they won't be releasing a fix for the MDD audio issue for a long while? That's not very responsible of them :p

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Better PostScript rendering is the only change that I consider particularly important. New graphics card drivers are always nice, especially when you take Quartz Extreme into account. Other than that, though, I don't use any of the other things that are supposed to be updated.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Tweak for new hardware

It's not unusual to release a tweak to the OS to handle new hardware. With a MacWorld coming up, this may include new code for new models of Mac..

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
aren't the drivers handled by ATI and nVidia? or does Apple make them?

anyway this is always good, they just put one out and they are working on the next one that is amazing! I hope that they keep this pace! our uptimes will suffer, but that's a small price to pay for stability i guess

MaT

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
wow, lots of news today!

any update is a good update (well apart from 10.3.6, i'm just not entirely happy with it!)

i hope it will turn my 12" pb into a monsterous dual 3ghz g5 with 2 gigs of ram!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I'm glad they're fixing the kernel. Maybe they'll finally get the throughput up and the SMP leak down. Always glad to see that they're working on OpenGL and the video card drivers.

I'm sorry that they're not fixing the networking. It's been a year since I've had reliable access between my machines. I suppose the good thing is that they haven't made it completely impossible or I'd have to continue to use my Zip drive to transfer files.

In any case, it looks like we're going all the way to 10.3.9 before we get real stability.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Longey Nowze said:

anyway this is always good, they just put one out and they are working on the next one that is amazing! I hope that they keep this pace! our uptimes will suffer, but that's a small price to pay for stability i guess

MaT
As far as I'm aware, Apple handles graphics card drivers for the Mac.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Longey Nowze said:

MaT
"All your drivers are published by us. -- Apple Computer"

Apple works closely with Game Devolpers and ATI/nVidia to develop the drivers tho, I mean they want to make sure that the macs can have and use similar features for both OS's.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Good, maybe my 6800 card will perform like it's supposed to. Hopefully the drivers will fix the bugs to allow WoW to have pixel shaders.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
2k4 works fine

I just bought that and it plays perfectly and FAST (2.5+6800) on everything as high as possible. :eek:

Maybe you should just reinstall it.... :)

thecow said:
Yay! I will get ut2k4 back! 10.3.6 messed it up.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
m a y a said:
WoW, at this rate 10.4 will be out sooner than I thought. As one of the previous rumours states Jan-March 2005 is when Tiger OS will be released.
This rumor is about Panther, right? I would think updates to Panter are totally unrelated to Tiger's release date. That being said, I'm as anxious as the next guy when it comes to Tiger's impending release.

I think that the video driver updates are mostly to try to even the playing field for gaming... as many have seen with the beta test of WoW, something is fishy in driver land on the Mac side. It's sad that a huge game developer like Blizzard has poured so much time and money into developing a Mac release alongside the PC version only to run into driver issues and other problems. Hopefully if they get some of these things taken care of we might see some other companies develop popular titles for the mac at the same time as the PC version.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Makes you wonder if there could ever be an update where they say, "All is fixed all is well" and never update again. It seems to me that no matter how hard they try there are bugs old or new. If they could get it completely right that would make me happy. (I know a bit to idealistic but still something to wish for).