Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I'm looking to buy an older 400mhz G4 powerbook, and I was wondering how 10.3 would run on a laptop of this speed with at least 384mb of ram. Will it be slow, or would I not notice mcuh of a slow down? Also, I'm wondering how full screen divx & xvid playback will be. Thanks.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I'm running 10.3 on a Pismo (firewire) G3/400 Powerbook and it actually runs quite well. I would recommend at least 512mb RAM and upgrading to a 5400rpm hard drive for best performance.

Full screen video isn't a problem. I might get a stutter once in a while, but it mostly runs nice and smooth.

I love my Pismo, but at this point you might want to also take a look at a refurb G4 iBook, which will certainly last you longer than the G3. If you can handle the price difference, it's probably a much better value.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
vlc and mplayer are altivec optimized so any G4 cpu will play stutter free video. also, osx is altivec optimized as well. go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.