Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jph99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2004
I would like to purchase a PDA. I have been looking at the Dell Axim X50v. My only concern is that it will be able to sync with my PB. Is this going to be a problem? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
The device should not have any troubles connecting to your PB if you go through bluetooth for syncing. I am not sure about a wired connection however, I'll leave that answer to someone who knows more.

A co-worker has an Ipaq with built in bluetooth and he connects to a different co-workers 15" PB regularly to share documents and spreadsheets. Its easier than email in some cases to quickly exchange files in a meeting. I have been on that project team for months now and have never once seen them have any transfer issues, so you should be all set.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
varmit said:
x50 is on Markspace's list. Not the x50v. see bottom link

Admittedly I haven't tried it yet (I have an X50v, but I sync it with my Dell laptop and work machine rather than my G5), but if it works with the X50, it should work with the X50v. They are identical except for the proc speed and video card/resolution. The architecture, OS, and interface are identical, which is what matters here.

Great peice of hardware though, I think Dell has effectively squashed HP's VGA brick with this one.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Usually if its something like that, I would say it should still work because isync doesn't have anything to do with processor or video display. As long as its the same connector and OS. But then again, if it does work, why not list x50(all versions), or something like that. Makes me a little uneasy when something isn't written down as supported yet. I believe they havn't fully tested the new version and/or it doesn't work correctly with anything other than x50.

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
varmit said:
Usually if its something like that, I would say it should still work because isync doesn't have anything to do with processor or video display. As long as its the same connector and OS. But then again, if it does work, why not list x50(all versions), or something like that. Makes me a little uneasy when something isn't written down as supported yet. I believe they havn't fully tested the new version and/or it doesn't work correctly with anything other than x50.

Note the listing is for Missing Link, not iSync. If I had to guess, I would say Mark/Space hasn't tested it at all an that this is based on user reports. People have only just been recieving this handheld from Dell in the past week and a half. The X30 and X50 are both new series, and the X50v is just the high end of that series with a different label to emphasize the VGA screen. I wouldn't actually expect them to list it seperately, many PowerPC sites aren't. Might send them a message and ask them to just to make it clear. :)

jph99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2004
Thank

Thank you for the quick reply's. I am going to be graduating college and my parents wanted to know what they should get me. I thought the Dell Axim X50v would be a nice gift. It sounds like it should work, and if not i can always sync with my pc. Thanks again for the help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.