Resolved OS X crashed at 80% of 3 GB download! Help needed to resume download in safari ! :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raghav2511, Mar 1, 2012.

  1. raghav2511, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

    raghav2511 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    Location:
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    #1
    Hello,

    I was downloading Windows 8 Preview from Microsoft's website. The total download size of the ISO is over 3 GB, I had completed 2.71 GB, and suddenly OS X (10.6.8) (MBP 15" Early 2011) crashed. This was the first time that this every happened!

    Besides pondering on why the crash happened in the first place, as I was just watching a video at the same time, I am stuck with a interrupted download file. I don't wanna go through the whole process again. I did Google around but didn't find anything useful, perhaps some suggestions were outdated for Safari 5, and some were beyond my understanding!

    If anyone could help me, that'l be great! Thanks!
     
  2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #2
    I doubt there is anything you can do but redownload.
    In the future use a proper download manager. Most of those standard ones in the browsers suck at such things. For big downloads especially on a slow unreliable connection a manager pays off. They can usually continue after it broke off.
     
  3. raghav2511 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    Location:
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    #3
    Definitely, I've learnt my lesson! I still think there might be some solution out there, I even tried editing the plist file but the page that I was referring to (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20040227044324958) deals with a XML coded file, and the plist file that I have with me doesn't look like it's coded in XML, plus Im not too good with coding. So Im just left wondering, If anyone else has solved such an issue.
     
  4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Location:
    www.emiliana.cl/en
    #4
    That is the reason why i use Firefox, and the DownThemAll extension. This combo has no problems, with frozen machines or kernel panics, if you use the correct "restore" settings.
     
  5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #5
    The plist you open is also xml it just opens in an editor that hides the plaintext xml syntax. The Property List editor.
    Open the info.plist either with a standard text editor or just edit it in the property list editor accordingly. It is not that different.

    The editor shows you a table with a heading and two columns.
    The left column is what is written between the key tag, the right is the value or string.

    Code:
    <key>DownloadEntryIdentifier</key>
      <string>461E69F1-6900-11D8-A675-000A95984A64</string>
      <key>DownloadEntryPath</key>
      <string>~/downloads/patch.sit.download/patch.sit</string>
      <key>DownloadEntryProgressBytesSoFar</key>
      <integer>16902</integer>
    will just look like
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DownloadEntryIdentifier | 461E69F1-6900-11D8-A675-000A95984A64
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DownloadEntryPath | ~/downloads/patch.sit.download/patch.sit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    etc.

    It is really rather simple. Just add remove the entries as the tutorial says.
     
  6. raghav2511 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    Location:
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    #6
    Okay so I finally figured it out. For anyone having similar problems, here's what you should do:

    1. Move your partially downloaded ".download" file to another location and rename it.

    2. "Clear" your download list in the Safari Download window.

    3. Initiate another download for the very same file, from the very same link, and stop it after a couple of seconds. And "Clear" you download list again.

    4. Now right click on the "New" downloaded file and "Show contents".

    5. Grab the plist from here and open it in the plist editor. (PlistEdit Pro, Freeware)

    **IMP** 6. Change values for downloaded bytes in 2 required places, one in the normal body and one in the "resume" section. (Note- you can get the actual number of bytes downloaded by "Get Info" from the original partially downloaded file, the one in the new location.)

    7. Save the plist file with the edited info and initiate download by clicking on the ".download" file. (The new one)

    8. Your download should resume.

    All credit goes to Google!
     

Share This Page