Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

OS X Leopard (or Leopard Beta) on G3/G4 Unsupported Macs: Complete 2020 Guide!

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Was this guide good?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Eh

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YESSS!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Laguna Beach, California
Hi all. I’m Christian!

This is THE COMPLETE UNOFFICIAL 2020 GUIDE with UPDATES! on how to get the Leopard Beta Build 9A241 on your G3/G4!

*I used part of suneohair’s guide on the long line for the return true/false. Credit to them for that. I have found all of the data for this through tons of research, Forums, Apple, and what people have told me.*

Many guides have not been updated since 06/07 since Leopard was announced.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
*This is the only current guide out there right now!*

Make sure you have 1GB of RAM. You may be turned down by the fact of the build not being “full” but trust me, it’s worth it.

Disclaimer: If something is wrong on your Mac, or you receive a virus on your Mac, I am NOT responsible!

I’ll even show you how to make this Tiger-looking beta look like The RETAIL version of Leopard, even looking like Snow Leopard!

I’m new to MacRumors, please don’t hate on me!

PSST. If you have an actual DVD with this build, skip step one.

This is the complete BEGINNERS unofficial guide on how to install the first build of Leopard on an unsupported Mac, and then making that version of Leopard look like the Retail version!

Thanks to @Jack Neill for finding the download link.

Thanks to @bunnspecial, and @dosdude1 for answering my questions!

Let’s get started!

Requirements:

PATIENCE.

DVD drive.

Functional Mac.

TextEdit.

Leopard RAR file.

MOST IMPORTANT: You need a 5GB USB/storage device or a dual layer DVD (to burn the edited disc image to)

Let’s get into the details!

PART 1:
*At this time, Apple did not change to Xar on package contents until the first beta that actually looks like Leopard. It’s basically Tiger with backups and new features. So don’t worry about DarwinPorts and Xar.*
1 First step: Download the first beta build of Leopard (9A241) here.
Extract it.
(The beta build is easier.)

OR

If you want normal leopard on your Mac, scroll down and download 31/32/33 on this site and install Xar. Also follow Suneohair if you want the real leopard.

(MAKE AN IMAGE OF YOUR LEOPARD BETA and burn to Dual Layer DVD or USB FLASH)

2 Step two: Inside the Leopard build, go to installation inside system. Then look for and then find the file named OSinstall.mpkg.

There are multiple methods to modifying the installer

Here are the steps to modify it.

1. Open with text edit and delete OSmodelCheck.
  2. Next, change hwbeSupportedMachines to the model identifier of the Mac you are installing it on.
  3. Delete the BadMachines.
  4. *I used part of @suneohair guide on this. Credit to them for this part* Ok, here are the instructions: In this line below, change the return false to return “true” to install on a G3. No quotes. Here is the large line below: var minRam = 512;
    function checkSupportedMachine(machineType){
    // Fail on G3
    if (1 != system.sysctl('hw.vectorunit') ) {
    return false;
    }

var badMachines = ['MacBook3,1','iMac','PowerBook1,1','PowerBook2,1', 'AAPL,Gossamer', 'AAPL,PowerMac G3', 'AAPL,PowerBook1998', 'AAPL,PowerBook1999'];

if(machineType){
    var length = badMachines.length;

// Fail if any of the compatible values match the list of badMachines
    for( var j = 0; j < length; j++ ){
    if(machineType == badMachines[j]){
    return false;
    }

}

}

// require 867Mhz+
    if (system.sysctl("hw.cpufrequency") < 866000000) {
    return false;
    }

return true;
    }
  5. Change require 867MHZ to just below your current processor speed.
  6. Edit the RAM to just lower than what you have in the MinRam line. Change to something like 256.
  7. Save the document in text edit. Then exit.
You have successfully edited the installer. Make sure that you saved. Now proceed to install.

Install w Dual Layer DVD, A usb flash drive or a firewire drive, etc.

Continue reading after you’ve installed!

PART 2:

Now your computer will look like Tiger, but have (some of) the functionality of Leopard. Keep reading!

6054E65E-5416-4722-B8F0-737444AFA824.png

This shows how to make it look like Leopard thanks to Liger.

Step 1. download:

Thanks to ItsMyNatural Color on YT:

Application Enhancer, Liger, Shape Shifter, and Clear Dock.

Liger (LeopardXTiger) will have everything. Change the icons, then the dock, and so on. The applications show what to do.. but I will add instructions soon!

I will update the rest of the guide on the Leopard-look.

*Updates are in PST. California Time.*

Need HELP?
post on this thread. I will try to help you.

Hope this works for you. Cheers!

726A6376-E1CE-4254-9E7A-72748A9163D1.png

And hope you enjoyed my guide. I’m new here :)

Attachments

• 4B6FFFA6-0C4B-4B2B-BBE5-C63D516FC511.png
    4B6FFFA6-0C4B-4B2B-BBE5-C63D516FC511.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

z970mp

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The Matrix
I swear, there's really something about this place.

Not even twelve days into membership, and our newest member has just written a semi-comprehensive installation guide in just over one hour's time, all from his own initiative. And he's not even done!

@556fmjoe You weren't kidding when you said that this forum makes things happen! You people are some of the most driven individuals I've ever seen! o_O

Last edited:

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Laguna Beach, California
I swear, there's really something about this place.

Not even twelve days into membership, and our newest member has just written a semi-comprehensive installation guide in just over one hour's time, all from his own initiative. And he's not even done!

@556fmjoe You weren't kidding when you said that this forum makes things happen! You people are some of the most driven individuals I've ever seen! o_O

Thanks for that. I appreciate it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.