OS X Lion 10.7 Finder bug in icon-view? icons randomly moved around and/or off-grid

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by b.c., Jul 25, 2011.

1. b.c. macrumors 6502

anybody else notice this strange Finder behavior in icon-view after upgrading to Lion?

I have a bunch of folder and document icons in the root level of my home folder neatly arranged in a grid
    The folder's view options (Cmd-J) are set to:
    - always open in icon view
    - arrange by None (i.e. manually arranged)
    - snap to grid
    - icon size 32x32

normally when I re-open my home folder, all the icons are where I put them (as you would expect)

However, since upgrading to Lion, every once in a while when I now open my home folder, the icon icon arrangement is all messed up
    - many of the icons have moved to random locations in the window, some of them off-grid and overlapping other icons. The Finder seems to be randomly moving them around on its own.

so far, I haven't figured out what triggers this behavior, so I can't repeat it on-demand. however it happens several times daily every since I upgraded to Lion just a few days ago. If I manually rearrange the icons again, everything is fine for a while but at some point they get randomly messed up again, for no apparent reason. I've even tried deleting my Finder preferences file & rebooting in case there's some weirdness/corruption to some setting that carried over when I upgraded the OS. but it still happens randomly.

anybody else notice this?

other than this, my Lion upgrade seems to be fine.
    this is on an old 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7

2. Gian-Pa, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Gian-Pa macrumors newbie

same here... my MacBookPro3,1 (late 2007) hangs when it sleeps (not due to Lion) just because I have 2 hds,
    but it happened twice already when i reboot the icons go all together on right instead of staying in their bloody place!

I have an external DVI monitor as master. Don't know if that's the problem as well.

Any solutions perhaps??
    --

EDIT: here's an apple forum thread i've found:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/15766672

3. b.c. thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: external DVI monitor, I wonder if you have a clue there?

I forgot to mention, I use my MBP at home and work, but when at work I connect to an external DVI monitor. It's not my primary display in my case, but now that I think of it, it's probably only/mainly while at work when I've noticed the icons all moved around.

Bit it's not right after connecting the monitor, or right after waking from sleep or from screensaver - it still seems to happen at random times while I'm working then reopen my home folder. But maybe there's some relation to having the extended desktop on two displays...

4. spinyanteater macrumors newbie

5. Whiteman007 macrumors member

yes same here its drivign me nuts!!! I have found out that the save/open drop down menu might be the reason or part of the reason heres a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQp5kraLL8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

6. ChainsawBuddha macrumors newbie

ChainsawBuddha

My desktop icons are always switching around when I log in.

7. b.c. thread starter macrumors 6502

hi, watched your video, then tried doing some file saves, and now I can reproduce the problem! thanks for your input

so I think you're right, the save dialog box seems to have something to do with it.

for example:

- I manually move my home folder icons where I want them, in Icon view
    - select all the icons, then do a View/Clean Up Selection (to make sure they're all on-grid)
    - close the home folder
    - open Mail
    - choose an email message with an attachment
    - save the attachment to the home folder, via the save dialog box that pops up
    - go back to the Finder, open the home folder
    - icons are now all messed up again: many moved to different locations, some off grid and overlapping other icons
    - it seems to trigger it every time

VERY annoying, and definitely a bug introduced with Lion

8. fidigital macrumors newbie

9. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

So that's what has been happening to my Finder in Lion: it seems that every time I use the open/save dialogue box, the Finder will reset my folders from my normal Icon view into list/column view. This is a very annoying bug and it is still present in 10.7.2 build 11C55, so more than likely it will not be addressed in 10.7.2.

10. b.c. thread starter macrumors 6502