OS X Lion upgrade on late 2006 2.33 ghz MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deaddog, Jul 22, 2011.

1. deaddog macrumors member

I have an older 15" 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook pro with 3GB ram (the max possible). I'm looking at upgrading to Lion but wanted to see if anyone with a similar machine has done so and if they noticed any major decrease in speed or usability.

Snow Leopard runs just fine but I'd like to take advantage of the new features in lion (minus gestures due to hardware limitations). Does anyone think that I would run into any problems? All opinions welcomed.

Thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Almost snap. 17" 2.33 C2D 3Gb RAM.

Now running Lion beautifully and snappily from a clean install on an external which I'll clone when I'm done and a Migration Assistant session that lasted about 18 hours (almost 2TB). Big step up from Leopard, maybe less impressive coming from Snow Leopard. However, am reinstalling all apps, haven't got round to Adobe CS5, MS Office 2011 and font management apps yet, so have yet to actually use the machine for work.

Only problem I've found so far is Play.app won't work and play Flac files (VLC works fine), some teething problems setting up my scanner (now resolved), Apple Lossless files aren't showing embedded artwork in icons, Dropbox isn't quite behaving itself.

Revelations (much improved): Safari, 64bit iTunes, Mail, super quick startup
    Disappointments: Lack of Expose, Mission Control, Launchpad (now both removed from dock)
    Note: Fans going crazy while still spotlight indexes for the next couple of hours, yet to see what it's like with large design and production files.

Check if your key apps are OK with Lion here.

Bearing in mind I'm running a fresh install but temporarily on a FW400 external, bugs and teething problems aside, install it with confidence.

3. jackgoesfishing macrumors newbie

I have an macbook late 2007 with 2 Ghz C2D, 2GB 667MHz of Ram, Intel GMA 950 with 64 shared memory.
    Some parts of Lion run faster than on SL others don't. Programs start much faster with Lion and even if Safari runs with a lot of open tabs, the beach ball never appears. On the other hand, some animations like folders in launchpad docent run smooth. Mission Control runs perfectly smooth.