Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
ok i did something to crash my computer.... well more like stalled it i tried a force restart but then it go stuck on the grey apple screen. and on the top was these letters and numbers

sh-2.05a#

i could type but i could not start up os x again. i restarted zaped pram. started up in nortons (os 9) but osx would not boot. only to do the same as above. has anyone else had this problem and has anyone fixed it?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
The problem is Norton. It corrupted your hard disk directory.

Remove it

http://www.macmaps.com/software.html

and read the discussion on Apple's discussion about it linked to on that page.

Try to repair the hard disk first with the Mac OS X Installer CD's Disk Utility under First Aid tab (select the hard drive to repair). If it doesn't repair after four tries, get Alsoft Disk Warrior.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
i did not install nortons. i just ran from cd. but i still had problems...

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Norton messes up the hard disk directory of many machines at random. When Mac OS X's directory is messed up, its behavior turns into more of a Unix like system than a Mac friendly system.
Fix the directory with First Aid or Disk Warrior, and don't ever use Norton again on that system.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
sh-2.05a# is a unix command line point.

it tells us unix geeks this:
-you went into single-user mode (no-name)
-you are running Shell 2.05a
-you are logged in with root powers (# symbol)

nothing else - unless you are a unix geek time to do and archive and install.

gahruev

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
California, USA
Originally posted by benixau
sh-2.05a# is a unix command line point.

it tells us unix geeks this:
-you went into single-user mode (no-name)
-you are running Shell 2.05a
-you are logged in with root powers (# symbol)

nothing else - unless you are a unix geek time to do and archive and install.
you do not need to be a unix geek, but the first part is true. The second part is an option if you do not want to call AppleCare and see what you can do...
could options when your machines boots to single-user mode
* type "fsck -y" and hit return. keep running until says appears okay or errors cannot be fixed
* type "exit" and hit return and see if the until will continue to boot up normally (this will be verbose and you sill see items as they come through, don't be worried)
* pop in your tech tools cd or Drive 10 or something along those lines - for OS X - and then type "reboot" and hold down the "C" key after you hear the chime. then run whichever utility is on that disk you booted to.
**** yes - when all else fails, run an archive and install preserving user and networks settings, then just an archive and install and worst case senario, back up your data and erase and restore.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by gahruev
you do not need to be a unix geek, but the first part is true. The second part is an option if you do not want to call AppleCare and see what you can do...
could options when your machines boots to single-user mode
* type "fsck -y" and hit return. keep running until says appears okay or errors cannot be fixed
* type "exit" and hit return and see if the until will continue to boot up normally (this will be verbose and you sill see items as they come through, don't be worried)
* pop in your tech tools cd or Drive 10 or something along those lines - for OS X - and then type "reboot" and hold down the "C" key after you hear the chime. then run whichever utility is on that disk you booted to.
**** yes - when all else fails, run an archive and install preserving user and networks settings, then just an archive and install and worst case senario, back up your data and erase and restore.

i guess - i was just thinking though - he can't recognise a CLI. I didn't want to risk his data. Your suggestion is a good one though (done it a few times myself (good ol' hacks) :D)

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by benixau
i guess - i was just thinking though - he can't recognise a CLI. I didn't want to risk his data. Your suggestion is a good one though (done it a few times myself (good ol' hacks) :D)

fsck is not necessary. Just boot off the Mac OS X Installer CD and run the Disk Utility from the Installer menu. That has a First Aid tab, which after selecting the hard disk in question will allow you to hit the Repair Disk button. That's if the directory isn't badly munged. Repair Disk and look out for errors. If errors continue after four tries, or the disk is invisible, it is time to go out and buy Alsoft Disk Warrior 3.0.

Disk Utility is the same thing as fsck.

gahruev

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
California, USA
Originally posted by gopher
fsck is not necessary. Just boot off the Mac OS X Installer CD and run the Disk Utility from the Installer menu. That has a First Aid tab, which after selecting the hard disk in question will allow you to hit the Repair Disk button. That's if the directory isn't badly munged. Repair Disk and look out for errors. If errors continue after four tries, or the disk is invisible, it is time to go out and buy Alsoft Disk Warrior 3.0.

Disk Utility is the same thing as fsck.

disk first aid is the same thing as fsck - yes, so though it may not be necessary, it sure does save time if it will resolve the issue. typing fsck -y is faster than booting to a cd and then running utils. :) - but if you believe you will need to archive and install, then definitely boot to the cd as you will need to anyway. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.