Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bmode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
California, USA
This is my first straight out complaint about OSX. The multiple user scheme on the OS is a frickin' nightmare! I am the only one using my computer, so why do I have to deal with passwords, privileges, and other settings! I wish there was a single user setting or something like that!

I've made a small list of my friends using Macs, and 9 out of 9 are the only ones using there computers. They all agree the multiple user options is redundant.

I used to be the King of my Mac, but now not so much... I kinda miss you OS9:(

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Every version of OS X has been like that. It has nothing to do with multiple users. Passwords are the way of life with a UNIX based system. Everything operates on privelages--EVERYTHING. So, you need to have an administrative password to do certain things. The only option to not have to deal with passwords is to be logged in as Root, but that's a bad idea. You can seriously screw up your system if you do that. Passwords and permissions are there to keep you from doing something stupid, and rightly so. This is OS X, get used to it.

Bmode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
California, USA
I actually love OS X. The multi-tasking is brilliant. I usually have 6 applications open when working on a project and it runs so beautifully. OS 9's windows open and close much faster than X. The whole print scheme sucks for X, but I partially blame Epson for not making a OSX driver.

However, recently the view settings are not holding after restarts or log-outs? How do you fix that Mopar?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Try repairing your permissions. It's a long shot, but you could also try creating a new account, and see if you've got the same problems there. Sometimes an account just gets quirky. I also see you've checked out the thread in the Panther Discussion about this issue. For me, it's a hit and miss thing. Sometimes the views will work perfectly, sometimes not. Believe it or not, it's gotten a lot better since 10.0 was released.

As for the snappiness of OS X, yeah, OS9 was much better. I know Panther was supposed to bring faster responses to the GUI over Jaguar, but honestly, I'm not that impressed. You've got a good machine with lots of RAM, so I guess it's as good as it's going to get until Apple further refines OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.