Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
so i just got my 17" powerbook and i wanted to transfer files from pc to it. i connected an ethernet cord to both machines, so where in os x do i can to access the pc files? thanks

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
ok, click on your desktop (to select "finder" as the active program, if you get what i mean)

Hit option+k (the apple key), then ping, up comes a window wich will show all the computers, and windows workgroups connected to whatever your ethernet cable's connected to. Obviously, you can only access the folders you've got shared.

The other option is to do it from your pc - if you go into my computer, click on the tools menu, then "map network drive", then type in the following:

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\[username]

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the local IP of your mac (get the IP from network in system prefs - will probably start with 192 if its not self assigned)

[username] is the username you chose when you first turned on your mac and installed OSX. You'll be asked for your system password too to access the whole hard drive. If you login as 'quest' you can only dump stuff in the drop-box (/users/[your username]/shared)

Your mac harddisk will then appear in My Computer and you can access it like you would your pc's harddisk.

hope this helps

Oh yeah, be advised that you might have a couple of problems copying files accross to the pc if they have certain characters in their names (\ /:?*"|<>), you'll get a "file not found" error or similar. Just get rid of the offending character and you'll be fine.

(EDIT: note how much easier it is to do it from the mac!)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Are the computers on the same network, or is there a cable running directly between them?

If the latter, it will only work with a crossover cable (a special kind of ethernet cable).

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
you dont need a crossover cable, the powerbook has autosensing ports. the first reply really should work. if you type cmd+k (cmd not option) then you should be able to see the pc. make sure you have access to the drives on the windows box. then you should be able to copy everything you want.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by sparkleytone
you dont need a crossover cable, the powerbook has autosensing ports. the first reply really should work. if you type cmd+k (cmd not option) then you should be able to see the pc. make sure you have access to the drives on the windows box. then you should be able to copy everything you want.

oops, my mistake.

As far as the autosensing ports, we experimented with this and discovered that it only worked between 2 macs, not a pc and a mac.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I always found that ftp from the PC was the most generally easy. smb failed to work sometimes. Going the other way is fine though if the PC is setup.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by mmmdreg
I always found that ftp from the PC was the most generally easy. smb failed to work sometimes. Going the other way is fine though if the PC is setup.

does ftp get around the illegal characters problem? i've been looking for a way of getting round that one for some time, didn't think of ftp!

man, OSX really is an amazing OS

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by mrjamin

As far as the autosensing ports, we experimented with this and discovered that it only worked between 2 macs, not a pc and a mac.

not true. my mac is using a standard ethernet cable to connect and transfer files directly to a pc as we speak. it works fine. initally the pc can get bitchy and you need to reboot it, but it works just fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.