OS X Page updated

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
All the brushed metal makes me think the PowerBooks will stay Ti for quite a while. Seems that Apple is very much going for a monochromatic look in both hardware and software (except for the whole Aqua thing...)

Upon further inspection...

Yeah, wtf is up with the brushed metal? It looks like they're going to completely change the Address Book for it to have this look. Do you think they will change the design guidelines and start moving the look of all apps in this direction? It's going to look kind of funny to have Mail and Address Book have completely different looks. What's going on here?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I personally think the brushed metal looks like crap. I can take it on iTunes because I can skin it. Also QT, hardly use, so it isn't a big deal. The new brushed metal looks darker, and really looks like crap when compared to aqua.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I think one good reason for them to go brushed metal with the apps is that it differentiates them from the Finder/System windows.

It's VERY easy to see the difference between the metal and pinstripes. :rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Personally, I kind of like the brushed metal look. I just transplanted most of the guts from my peecee into a new case that is all aluminum, with a brushed finish to it. I also fully enjoy the metal look of the TiBook. My tv also has a metallic look to it (even though the case is plastic), as does my dvd player :D. I am even considering doing something to the case of my VG175 lcd screen to make it follow the same lines.

Now, I want to know when 10.2 will actually be released to us, and if QT6 will accept my QT5 registration and be the pro version.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Brushed Metal

I'm okay with a few apps having the brushed metal look like Quicktime and iTunes, but it just doesn't work for some apps. Also, apps that use brushed metal can't resize in real time. It doesn't seem practical to use brushed metal for everything.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I think some brushed metal apps loox cool. But having everything be brushed metal will, IMO, start to look very boring.

Lethal

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I think some brushed metal apps loox cool. But having everything be brushed metal will, IMO, start to look very boring.

Lethal
And pinstripes still seem fresh and new? ;)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
true, but that's the case with anything. i don't think they'll drive it into the ground. they'll mix it up at some point i'm sure.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I think they should have a few different choices and then have an editor for "advanced" users so that you can create a simple look to suit your own needs....maybe app specific. Just put that baby in the preferences and I'll be happy!