OS X Themes, BeOS, NeXT, etc. Themer!

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
Hi guys..
Just letting you know there is an app out there called Themer, at

This lets you to customize the "Aqua" default theme of Mac OS X.
Themes include BeOS, NeXT, the OS 9 Platinum, and many more..

It's not THAT good, but it's a start and maybe even a hint onto different themes of OS X, maybe less "candy" in the future.

Personally, I liked Alumite X, NeXT, well I dunno.. it's hard to judge really, since Aqua is such a good interface, and these "themes" don't actually change the core elements of the interface. "Brushed" is kind of a mixture of the metallic iTunes type sking and the OS 9 "classic" look. It's kinda fun, so check it out!
http://www.stretch.tc/aquaworld/themes/themes.html

I've never used a NeXT machine before, but I can sort of guess what it was like back then. It might be just me, but some of the themes seemed to be "faster" than Aqua... What do you guys think?

BTW, you can revert to Aqua anytime, so no worrys, and the downloads are preetty small so dialup users (including me!) do not fear. (400k or so per theme)

P.S.
Sorry, no Windoze (XP or any other crappy version) theme available :D I guess noone wants that crappy Xp interface on their machine... hehehe...

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
Re: OS X Themes, BeOS, NeXT, etc. Themer!

Originally posted by iapple
Sorry, no Windoze (XP or any other crappy version) theme available

What a shame, i've always wanted that ;)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I preffer aqua
I wish somebody would make an iapp interface that would be neat

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
iapp theme available!

If you're looking for the "metallic look" of the iapps, there is a theme available, that even make the pull down menus look metallic.
Musix at
http://www.stretch.tc/aquaworld/themes/morethemes.html

and Brushed at the same page is also similar. With the announcement at WWDC about the "Metal" theme easily implemented on apps, we may even see an option for metal in Jaguar

Enjoy! (I'm using Musix)

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
im themes on osx are nothing new. metamorphx and duality have been around for a long time. duality is very nice and will be a pref panel in the next release (cant wait)

and yes there is an xp theme for osx, so dont speak too soon.

http://www.ambitiouslemon.com/opinion/advice/customosx.htm
Excuse moi, monsier Demi-God;)
I didn't know of others... But it seems like a pretty good app to me.

I didn't know that Duality is going to be a pref panel in the next release! (Jaguar, is it?) That sounds good to me, that Apple is going to let users customize the interface. SOmetimes those horizontal lines that go through everything can get on you nerves.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
coming from a fellow pc user (soon to be converting to mac soon): mac themes to me are alot better than pc themes on xp since theres not that many good themes for xp (lots of mac-like themes) while on mac OS X, 90%+ of the themes i've seen are professional quality :D

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
yeah most PC themes are made by 10 years old wanker with a bit of spare time

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by mac15
yeah most PC themes are made by 10 years old wanker with a bit of spare time
um...i do go have friends on im that are friends with some of them lol
theres very few themes on xp that actually look nice (water color is one of them, which was supposed to be the original theme for xp but was dumped)